Something Is Wrong With My Devac?

• You cannot reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Crx
k so one day i decided to devac my car cause i was frustrated with the vac lines so i went found some new pics of a devac and the whole thing off of some pics before the devac the car idled fair it was at like 1500 rpm and pretty steady but our emissions law says the car can idle no more than 1100 rpm so i called a local mechanic and he said bring me the emission test to him and he will give me a price so i gave it to him and he said it will cost at least 1100$ cause they have to go through all the vac lines and check them and if that isn't it that have to rebuild the carb, so finally i said what the hell lets devac the damn thing. so we went and did it and know the thing can idles at 2200-2500 rpm and super unsteady it refuses to go below 1200 rpm my plan was after devacing the car i would pay a friend (a mechanic) 400$ cause here if u pay atleast that much on trying to get the car to pass emissions u can get a waiver so that was the plan i was gonna have him overcharge me a little on simple stuff (new cat and ect) but now i really wish i hadn't and the car bogs only when u drive it and the throttle sticks any help cause my mom said shes gonna have it towed to a crusher if it doesnt pass in 5 months so yeah any help?

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
sounds like you missed some things that need vacuum caps.
take close ups of all four sides of the carb as well as your intake manifold (need to see both valves on your intake manifold) and I can give you pointers.

with 22 years of age, the stock vacuum mess doesn't hold up well- the devac has yet yield anything but positive results for me.. if you do it right and there isn't something fundamentally wrong with your engine/carb, your car should run very well.

before you do all of that... have you pulled your throttle linkage off of the carb AND adjusted the idle screw to see if there was any change?
Hell for less than 1100 I could fly out and fix it for you!
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Jul 20 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like you missed some things that need vacuum caps.
take close ups of all four sides of the carb as well as your intake manifold (need to see both valves on your intake manifold) and I can give you pointers.

with 22 years of age, the stock vacuum mess doesn't hold up well- the devac has yet yield anything but positive results for me.. if you do it right and there isn't something fundamentally wrong with your engine/carb, your car should run very well.

before you do all of that... have you pulled your throttle linkage off of the carb AND adjusted the idle screw to see if there was any change?
Hell for less than 1100 I could fly out and fix it for you!

yes i have done all that ive plugged up everything, and i adjusted the float and all the idle screws (all three, two in front of carb and one in the back) none of them are even touching the linkage any more and i adjusted the timming but i did pull off the manifold and ziptied everything down and double checked it and there where a few thing in the back that where a little loose and tell me what the valves on the back of the manifold called cause i broke one and i cant find it any for sale and how do u upload pics.

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (86 civic crx @ Jul 24 2008, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes i have done all that ive plugged up everything, and i adjusted the float and all the idle screws (all three, two in front of carb and one in the back) none of them are even touching the linkage any more and i adjusted the timming but i did pull off the manifold and ziptied everything down and double checked it and there where a few thing in the back that where a little loose and tell me what the valves on the back of the manifold called cause i broke one and i cant find it any for sale and how do u upload pics.

well anyway i got just about everything fixed the only thing is that its flooding and dieseling bad and its really hard to start also there is gas in the big barrel of the carb like alot almost and inch

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Seafoam it.

are you running the stock fuel pump? sounds like you either have too much fuel pressure or your float isn't working properly... or the needle deal that is connected to the float (don't know the name)

have you driven it around a bit to try and let it lean out? scratch that I really think something is wrong with your float needle (or whatever it's called) If I had an extra carb, I'd send it to you but I don't have one anymore.

rebuilding the carb should be fairly easy/simple/straight forward.
http://www.hondaauto...gry5=CARBURETOR
I have read that it is best to spend the extra $5-10 and get the real Honda parts instead of the crappy aftermarket since the price isn't much different and the quality is much higher.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the parts that you need would be illustration number 1,2&3
should take an hour or two the first time around wink.gif

OR just get another member to send you a decent used one for the price of shipping+a happy meal

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
the carb always needs rebuilding. ive got a few threads about dealing with my carb'ed hf. devaced and had more problems, had to rebuild carb and add return spring, but after that it idles great
tricky getting it started sometimes but thats because i didnt fix the choke by making it manual.

call honda and order the main carb gasket kit. you probably wont need more than that.
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

DarkHand

QUOTE (kaymo @ Jul 26 2008, 04:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the carb always needs rebuilding.

Yep. These carbs are getting older and older... You almost always need to rebuild after a devac nowadays. The emissions equipment tends to cover up these kinds of problems.
DarkHand

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
wow thanks guys for all the advice i think im gonna rebuild the carb and get the float checked out, today i came to start and it started right up and i let it idle for a sec then i turned it off to go to work and when i did that it dieseled for almost 10 seconds which really had me worried and right as it stoped gas came shooting out i mean alot it actually hit the roof of my garage which is like 8-10ft high and filled up the big barrel almost all the way so if anyone knows what my problem is plz tell me i check this sight everyday so send me a message anything im open to everything

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ohhh and my choke doesn't open all the way and i checked the manual and followed the steps atleast 5 times and it still doesnt open all the way plz help me! before my baby gets crushed

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
sounds like it might need a valve job... damn time to start from the bottom and work your way up

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
biggrin.gif hey guys fixed the flooding problem it turns out i pluged the big hole on the carb ohmy.gif on the driver side in the very front of the carb i pulled of the cap and some gas came out and it started right up and ran pretty good tell me how do i get the idle below 1100 rpm i adjusted everything and get get it to drop............ wait i have and idea i thing if i loosen all the idle screws and advance the timming a bit i might have it any way the last problem i have is dieseling and i mean bad like just about 10sec worth of it only when its warm though any thoughts and ideas?

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ohhhhhhh i almost forgot my ghost story so here it goes: so one night as i went to bed i heard this odd sound a sound i had never heard before it sounded like a gorilla getting fucked by a elephant so i got up as i got closer to my garage it got louder and louder and i open my garage door i stare into the dark i could barely make it out what it was so flicked on the lights as quick as i could and there it was a mustang idling in my garage tongue.gif laugh.gif

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (86 civic crx @ Jul 27 2008, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif hey guys fixed the flooding problem it turns out i pluged the big hole on the carb ohmy.gif on the driver side in the very front of the carb i pulled of the cap and some gas came out and it started right up and ran pretty good tell me how do i get the idle below 1100 rpm i adjusted everything and get get it to drop............ wait i have and idea i thing if i loosen all the idle screws and advance the timming a bit i might have it any way the last problem i have is dieseling and i mean bad like just about 10sec worth of it only when its warm though any thoughts and ideas?

See this is why you follow directions to every detail... there are so many devac related issues that come from this!

you don't want to mess with the timing and such to take it away from stock spec. especially if you want to pass aircare. your idle needs to be lowered the RIGHT way. if the idle is too high for the test, tell the tester to put it in first and pull the clutch out a little for the 20 or so seconds that he needs to- that's what I do or turn on the a/c, headlights, and anything else to slow down the engine the inspector would have to be a prick not to.

SEAFOAM THE ENGINE! that will get rid of your dieseling and smooth the idle as well as other things.
the way I like to seafoam a carb'd car is to have it idle at about 1200 and pour seafoam into the secondary (the biggest barrel on the carb, closest to the front of the car) and let it drain down on its own. It seemed to work pretty well for me.

check for vacuum leaks while you're at it

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
alright that sounds like a good idea and i will go buy some today! and yes the testers here are pricks he wouldn't even let me get my car tested one time cause my muffler rattled a little bit and i mean a little i couldn't even tell

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok i did Seafoam the car and nothing happened i put a bottle in the gas and a bottle in the oil and a bottle down the the big barrel on the carb slowly not all at once i found no vac leaks i used a bottle of carb cleaner and now my carb and manifold are super clean cause i was trying to find the leak any way i got it to idle between 1000-1100 it goes no higher or no lower biggrin.gif but my only problem now is when i drive the car and i come to a stop it idles at 2100rpm and i cant get it any lower so i was thinking if i get a stronger spring and i put it on the throttle assembly that it will fix my problem any one got a better idea?