Project 85 Si-ish

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly?  The manual covers how to adjust it but my approach has always been this. Learned it from an old Honda tech.

With the car on put the clutch to the floor and put car in 1st gear.  Slowly release the clutch and take note of how far it moves before it engages.  If it’s right at the floor or like 1/4 you need to tighten the clutch cable.  Now drive the car at a steady speed in a gear other than 1st.  While holding a steady throttle slowly push in the clutch and take note of when the clutch slips.  If it’s immediate the clutch cable needs to be backed off, it is too tight.  This is where you can tune the clutch peddle to what you like.  Perfect is a spot in the middle where there is equal movement on both ends.

I hope this makes sense.  There is also another way by pulling up on the cable at the adjuster but I never used that method, feel approach is my go to.

the other thing that can impact this is the shift rods.  Make sure they are tight and not hitting anything.

glad you got to take it out and shack it down.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Dear_Boss

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX HF/Si, 1959 Chevrolet Apache, 2016 Harley Street Bob

Awesome instruction, thanks! I havent done much for adjustment on it so that will definitely help.

im going to do exactly that once i get more than a tiny glass pack on the exhaust, its quite loud and obnoxious in a bad way.

CSPCRX

Hope it works out for you.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic si. 01 Integra Type R

enjoying this post with some ice cream ha.. awesome job! crx looks amazing.  

Dear_Boss

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Started placing and tacking together the exhaust last night. Since my exhaust was for the HF i knew i was going to have to re-make it once the SI engine was in.

From the downpipe there is a short braided stainless flex pipe that continues to a piece of straight. From there i put a 12" resonator in before the 2-90's to get me pointed at the rear of the car on the right side. Its not in yet, but i have a section from a 2nd gen that goes over the axle and to the muffler. Currently it looks like i will be able to make all of this work fairly easy and hopefully it adds some good tone to the engine. I can post more about the specific components i used when im done.

52047568220_e5f6d75f67_c.jpg

52047061041_3e6ea6eb9b_z.jpg

CSPCRX

Looks good.  Dynomax is what I have always had on mine.  I think they sound good and good call on the in-line resonator.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Good solution for the flex joint.  I'd see several 1/3 g's years ago and they hardpipe the entire way down.  Then the exhaust manifold bolt break. 

We're having a lot of catalytic converters stolen in our area.  You wont have that head ache

Keepin' it OEM

Dear_Boss

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Finished the exhaust. Its definitely quieter now, possibly too quiet but ill be ok with that.

Below is what i used to make the exhaust.

- 5' section of 1.75" OD stainless tube (Cut into smaller sections throughout the system)

- 1X 6", 1.75" OD stainless braided flex pipe

- 1X 12", 1.75" ID resonator/glasspack

- 2X long arm 90° mandrel bent SS 1.75" OD elbows

- 1X 2nd Gen CRX over the axle section (AP/Eastern PN: 38389) 

- 2X 1.75" ID donut gasket plates with gaskets

- 1X 1.75" ID to 2" OD SS adapter

- Dynamax 17730 aluminized muffler

- 1X 2" OD tight 90° SS Elbow

- 1X Shitty exhaust tip from amazon (cheapest)

- a few custom bent hanger rods

All welded except at the connection to the downpipe, the section where it goes over the axle and the muffler attachment points. Luckily this was a simple exhaust so making it was not a big deal.

52099695161_208e77679f.jpg  52099690251_a8e0c7eb88_z.jpg

52099690306_dea405ce50_z.jpg  52099690321_6f811eee03_z.jpg

52098659577_0a8086a72f_z.jpg  52099926704_d56e318e57_z.jpg

All thats left are tires, which i got yesterday, and more tuning.

CSPCRX

That turned out great!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
this work is awesome

on the exhaust..... was the resonator ss?

interesting to use the 2g over the axle aftermarket. was the flange (at the axle joint) identical to the 1g? curious if i can buy that 2g part and make my own muffler assembly. i like the ease of bolt on

carpet.... did u dye the original? or get a custom made?
Keepin' it OEM

Dear_Boss

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thanks man! its almost sad that ive gotten basically to "the end" but im sure ill find more stuff to work. its never really done. Plus i can go back to my other projects.

the resonator is aluminized steel, i actually thought i bought the SS one but must have added the wrong one to my cart, oh well.

So im not totally sure if the 2G over the axle section has exactly the same flange but i bet it sure is close. I never had the Si exhaust to compare it to, i only had the HF exhaust which was smaller anyways so that all got ripped out. It is the female side of the joint though at the axle if that helps and it takes the donut gasket so it had a good amount of room to play. I can send some more pictures of it if that helps. It was only $15 from RockAuto so i just went with it https://www.rockauto...1530880&jsn=855

The carpet actually was totally stock from a donor car way back when. I removed it long ago and put it in a box in the attic, went back 15 years later and it was still there. There were a couple rough spots but mostly in good shape. Gave it a good cleaning and dried it in the sun before i put it in.

Dear_Boss

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

After looking long and hard for the title to this car i cant find it. Now that wouldn't be a problem if long ago me or my father had put it in our name but that did not happen. We bought the car from an elderly lady that we imagine has since passed on so getting a replacement was likely not an option.

I read awhile ago about the "Vermont DMV Loophole" and decided to go for it.

Sorry if this is repeat info on here but i figured i would share my experience. 

Basically Vermont does not title vehicles that are 15 years old or older, they give you a registration like the good ol days.

Since the CRX was now roughly 37 years old i figured i might as well try otherwise be stuck driving it on a dealer plate forever or trying to wade through the ridiculous NYS procedures.

As a non-Vermont resident i can apply for a VT registration the vehicle since its older than 15 years. Below is what i needed to do.

- Fill out VT registration application

- Fill out the VT bill of sale (does not need to be from the last known owner of the vehicle)

- Fill out the VT odometer disclosure statement form

- Fill out the VT VIN verification form, which is mostly done by a community official (Police Officer/local DMV)

- Make sure the car is not stolen/salvage (done by the cop)

- Look up the NADA value

- Send them a check for $76 + 6% sales tax on the price you paid or the NADA value (Whatever is higher)

- Send it to VT DMV and wait

Now there are some specifics that you want to be aware of if you go this route as far as filling out the paperwork and things which i can help with if someone needs it just DM me.

Since you will get a VT registration in the mail you then have to take that to your state DMV and get a title or whatever your state does with older vehicles. Your home state has to recognize the VT registration because it is a non-title jurisdiction for older than 15 years and is totally legal.

Anyways...

2-weeks later i got a temp registration and VT plates in the mail, the real registration to follow about a week and a half later. 

This was super easy so i just wanted to share my thoughts on here incase someone else is going through similar title pain. 

Now i haven't brought this to my NYS DMV yet which im sure they will hassle me about but they do have to recognize it has proof of ownership so it will work it self out. Plus they like money so they will take it.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or wants links to the documents!

CSPCRX

WOW great solution.  

any other work on the car?

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Dear_Boss

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Little things here and there.

Found out my brake master cylinder was leaking so changed that with a Raybestos part from RockAuto.

Made some adjustments to the body panels

Have been messing with what seems like a sticky Tach but im reluctant to pull the cluster out again just out of laziness. Im sure i will get around to it.

I may have to change my alternator to something more than 30 amps which i tried because it was cheap and i dont have much for accessories. It still just seems to low but ill re-evaluate once i can drive more freely.

Changed the fuel pump because the eBay one i bought was way too loud and drew way too much current. The new one is from Walbro and is much quieter, highly recommend for a budget FP that you can basically customize.

Once my registration is complete i need to get it to an alignment shop before i do any additional driving/engine tuning. I cant wait to be legal on the road and not have to try and stick to back roads with no plates.

My plan is to do an autocross in September as just a test and tune so i can open it up more, hopefully i dont have something that limits that from happening.

CSPCRX

Sounds like a good list of projects and some fun in the future!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily