85 Si B16 Swap Done!

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

dgrace

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si + B16A1
Finally (after 2 years!) finished my B16 swap project on my '85 Si. Still a few small bugs to work out, but the car is up and running. Dyno'ed yesterday with a peak of 134.35hp, 101lb/ft torque, which is actually a bit higher than I expected. Here's what it took to put it all together:

B16A1 motor with Y1 tranny and LSD, PR3 ECU
HASport mount kit
HASport shift linkage
HASport wiring harness conversion
HASport axles
86-89 Integra knuckles and hubs + brakes and calipers
APEXi V-AFC VTEC controller
ACT 6-puck HD clutch
lightweight flywheel
Various OEM odds and ends (rear motor mount, water pump, hoses, belts cables etc.)
Custom exhaust

Observations:

1.) There is VERY little clearance for the alternator pulley, even after banging a pretty good dent in the frame rail for it. Doesn't look like it'll be a problem though. Overall the engine fits pretty well, there's a bunch of room in back. (under the intake manifold, in front of the firewall)
2.) The HASport mounts transmit a lot more vibration than the stockers, so be prepared for a buzzy ride.
3.) The Y1 tranny is very close ratio and has a short final drive, so freeway driving is pretty unpleasant (i.e. 80mph is about 5k rpm). I'd like to look into somehow making the final drive ratio taller but I'll live with it for the moment.
4.) Speedo doesn't work, trying to debug this. Looks like it'll be a choice between a working speedo and a constant ECU code, I'll probably opt for the speedo.
5.) The way this clutch engages, I'm going to go through some front tires I think. wink.gif
6.) With the Integra knuckles, you lose some camber. This is my biggest complaint at the moment and if anyone has good ideas on doing camber adjustment on a 1gen PLEASE chime in and let me know! I'd prefer not to have to cut holes in the hood for the shock tops.

My goal is to turn this thing into a track toy / autocross monster. Until I can fix the camber problem though it doesn't hook in and rotate nearly as well as it used to, so that's top of the list. Any advice appreciated!

dave

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
QUOTE (dgrace @ Aug 17 2004, 08:02 PM)
6.) With the Integra knuckles, you lose some camber.  This is my biggest complaint at the moment and if anyone has good ideas on doing camber adjustment on a 1gen PLEASE chime in and let me know!  I'd prefer not to have to cut holes in the hood for the shock tops.

if you used the crx radius arms, try switching to the integra arms. some think they are the same but in my experience if you use the crx/civic arms you end up with positive camber on the front with the teg knuckles. the teg radius arms should fix you right up. use the oem arms not the cheap auto store replacements or at the very least try a junkyard teg arm to be sure it fixes your particular problem

dgrace

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (sspcivic31 @ Aug 17 2004, 08:13 PM)
if you used the crx radius arms, try switching to the integra arms. some think they are the same but in my experience if you use the crx/civic arms you end up with positive camber on the front with the teg knuckles. the teg radius arms should fix you right up. use the oem arms not the cheap auto store replacements or at the very least try a junkyard teg arm to be sure it fixes your particular problem

Ah - sounds good. I'll add the control arms to my junkyard shopping list. (need to pull a speedo cable, brake booster and M/C while I'm there)

Thanks!

dave

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Damn............. ohmy.gif

That looks good. I cannot wait until my swap is done. I am not opting for the Vtec route though................Non-Vtec turbo for me ph34r.gif

Keep us updated, and if possible...........PM me with a review of your HASport items.

Thanks
SportInjectedClub

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Until I can fix the camber problem though it doesn't hook in and rotate nearly as well as it used to, so that's top of the list.  Any advice appreciated!

That might also have something to do with the extra hundred or so pounds you've added to the nose of the car...nice swap though... smile.gif
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

dgrace

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (rpr @ Aug 17 2004, 08:37 PM)
Until I can fix the camber problem though it doesn't hook in and rotate nearly as well as it used to, so that's top of the list.  Any advice appreciated!

That might also have something to do with the extra hundred or so pounds you've added to the nose of the car...nice swap though... smile.gif

Yeah thought about that, but from the sound and the feel I think it's a camber thing as well. I used to be able to induce lift-throttle oversteer pretty easily (Ground Control coilovers in back at 375lbs plus ST sway bar) but now the outside front tire squeals and it tends to plow. On the bright side, it'll chirp the wheels going into 3rd, which it never had a prayer of doing before! So far the LSD hasn't been very obvious either, I think the camber problem is masking its benefits. Torque steer is a little excessive but was expected.

As for the HASport stuff, yeah it was kinda pricey (compared to the car at least) but I've gotta admit it all fits and works as advertised! It's great that they're still supporting such a niche market.

dave

oldschoolsi

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
nice swap, shoulda cleaned the engine bay while the motor was out though tongue.gif

my friend is intent on doing this to his crx, do you think it is worth it for the b16 or would you build a d16a1 and drop in? I figure for the cost of the b16 swap you could build a pretty bad ass d16.....I've never had the pleasure of driving a crx with a b16 or a d16 so I have no idea what the pros and cons are. From what you are saying the d16 might be a little better as far as comfort wise, but I don't know if it could be built to contend with a b16 and stay in the same price range or even under what the b16 swap would cost.

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
hey what did u do with the 85 si motor? and where u from?

female four

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: B16 powered 86 CRX SI
In the process of fixing up my 86 si w/B16 in there. Nice clean setup btw.

I have a few questions for you though. What intake did you use? I rigged one from a G1 teg at the junkyard last weekend. It fit alright except the tubing was a bit long and I may have problems getting it to mount up to the throttle body.

My battery tray for some odd reason seems to want to mount closer to the intake tubing than the radiator? Do you have this problem also or do you not? I'm probably gonna end up buying one of those Oddessy batteries or something.

Since you are using the G1 teg spindles, are you also using G1 teg shocks up front as well? I tried mix matching them and they didn't seem to want to work. Let me know so I can get the proper set while I'm working on the spindles.

I'll try to get pictures of it by the weekend. School and work is killing me on the weekdays at the moment.

dgrace

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (oldschoolsi @ Aug 17 2004, 10:07 PM)
nice swap, shoulda cleaned the engine bay while the motor was out though  tongue.gif 

my friend is intent on doing this to his crx, do you think it is worth it for the b16 or would you build a d16a1 and drop in? I figure for the cost of the b16 swap you could build a pretty bad ass d16.....I've never had the pleasure of driving a crx with a b16 or a d16 so I have no idea what the pros and cons are. From what you are saying the d16 might be a little better as far as comfort wise, but I don't know if it could be built to contend with a b16 and stay in the same price range or even under what the b16 swap would cost.

oldschoolsi:

The dirt is structural - the car would fall apart without it! wink.gif

It may well be more cost-effective to go the D16 route, but I decided I wanted to build the best 1gen sleeper I could, and as the phrase goes, "VTEC pwnz j00." Or something. I haven't tallied up the total damage but I'm pretty sure it ended up somewhere north of $5k all in. Seems crazy for a car I got for $500 five years ago but uncommon cars attract me.

Erik:

Last I saw it was still at the shop, I have no use for it. DNR Performance in Hayward, CA. It ran fine but has had a slow oil leak for a while now. 140k miles on the old motor.

female four:

The intake was on the new motor, seems to hook right up to the '85 airbox. No problem with battery tray clearance, seems to have plenty of room.

Shocks are Tokico Illuminas that I put in a couple of years ago, the diameter is the same as the Integra pieces so I'm not sure why G1 Integra shocks wouldn't fit on your knuckles. BTW the Illuminas are slightly too long in front and pressurized, the car tends to ride higher once you install them. I've got the height adjustment bolts at the very end of their range and I'd still like to get the CG down another inch. Haven't re-indexed the torsion bars yet though.

dave

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
For the camber problem you can buy adjustable camber plates from here I think(group buy) and OPM autosports, I have the later. They allow adjustment at the top of the strut, it would not be hard to fabricate an adjustable mount yourself. Do a search and you should find pics of the options available.
Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

female four

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: B16 powered 86 CRX SI
QUOTE (dgrace @ Aug 18 2004, 12:14 AM)
The intake was on the new motor, seems to hook right up to the '85 airbox.  No problem with battery tray clearance, seems to have plenty of room.

Shocks are Tokico Illuminas that I put in a couple of years ago, the diameter is the same as the Integra pieces so I'm not sure why G1 Integra shocks wouldn't fit on your knuckles.  BTW the Illuminas are slightly too long in front and pressurized, the car tends to ride higher once you install them.  I've got the height adjustment bolts at the very end of their range and I'd still like to get the CG down another inch.  Haven't re-indexed the torsion bars yet though.

dave

You mean the piping is the B16 piping? If so, I'll look into that.

Thanks for the info on the shocks. My thoughts on the difference on the shocks is that since the tegs used a DOHC motor plus its heavier, it'll need to handle more weigh up front. So it may fit, but it may be stronger. I might end up getting them since the B16 is a hell of a lot bigger than the stock motor that came in the CRX.

Thanks for inputs.

Edited by female four, 18 August 2004 - 12:32 AM.

1g Supremacy

Lol your car's almost as dusty as mine is. I see Cali plates. Are you in the desert?

civtrx

• Craig M.
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic 1500-S
no working speedo? Did you equip your CRX cluster with a VSS unit?

If not, the easiest thing for you would probably to just get an HF cluster since it has the VSS, and swap it in..you should have a working speedo then.
user posted image
^^^^^ R.I.P 05/16/05. . . you will be missed my Civic! ^^^^^

dgrace

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (1g Supremacy @ Aug 18 2004, 01:30 AM)
Lol your car's almost as dusty as mine is. I see Cali plates. Are you in the desert?

Nope, just lazy. Plus, if I clean it, it'll just look rusty instead of dirty!

dave