A Run Of Fiberglass Fenders.

• You cannot reply to this topic
88 replies to this topic

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
run cancelled see final post

ok, so im finally confident enough to make a run, and i have some money of my own i am willing to invest into this project. for those who dont know me, i have worked on aircraft for the u.s. navy for 7 years, ive been working with glass for about 5 of those, and recently been practicing making molds and parts in my garage. ive wasted about 150 dollars practicing, and i am willing to make 10 sets, if everything seems promising i will continue to make them with no deposit after the first 10. there will be a 15 percent deposit on the first 10. if i dont get 10 orders i will refund in full. these will be epoxy laid fiberglass coated with gelcoat. and will cost 200 plus shipping per set, feel free to pm me with any questions. so when i have 10 30 dollar deposits i will begin work on the parts, and i plan to start the molds around the 5th

run has been reduced to 5 sets. pm me to get in x slots available, read through this thread before pming me. checks/money orders are now accepted.

1. Vicious
2. Crxls
3. Hatchbox
4. kedwards
5. pvbcrx
grimms mom

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
are you concidering nose panels?

either way, count me in

BTW are these for the 86-87 or for the 84-85?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
these are 86-87, and i am planning to do a run of header panels, actually already have a mould, but the mould was taken from a headeer panel that the strip the bolts go through under the hood was broken up a bit, also the header panels wont have the little dividers between the lip, but it will be sturdy enough to hold up without them, and wont be noticeable. as soon as i perfect the strip problem i will be offereing them. also planning on doing door panels, and sideskirts. but for right now the only thing that is definatelly set in stone is the fenders.
grimms mom

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
Is there a weight, or just strength difference vs. the plastic fenders?

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
the strength to weight ratio of fiberglass is greater than standard sheet metal, for a list of properties of typical fiberglass click here also, a good online written description of benifits of fiberglass can be found here i made a video (havent posted it yet) of some of my practice pieces vs my foot. stepping on the fender plastic, the fender immediately breaks into several pieces. stepping on a header panel (the one used to make my mold) that was backed by on layer of chopped strand mat, the noises of a cracking effect can be heard, but no visible defects in the panel can be seen, the glass does tend to sepparate from the plastic in some areas after stepping on it though. stepping on a 2 ply layup of 6 oz cloth and chopped mat (an error in the topcoat made this header panel unuseable) the part flexes around my foot, at about the same pressure it took me to break the fender. then upon removing my foot the panel pops right back to shape (i do not recommend stepping on any parts you plan to use on your car, this may affect paint or topcoat adhearance) the parts i will be selling will be a 3 ply layup on (likely white) poly gelcoat. these will need to be lightly sanded before painting, but using the gelcoat rather than just selling a 3ply epoxy laid part is easier to paint than epoxy. i hope to ship the first set by febuary 1st 08. as far as weight, i dont have scales, but the 2 ply header panel seems about a quarter of the weight of a stock header. there is certainly a weight benifit and a strength benifit to replacing the plastic with fiberglass.

please post any questions here, and pm me for payment instructions. these first 10 sets will only be sold through rpr and paypal. paypal gives you guys security because of their excellent dispute policies, and i want you to feel comfortable that i will be responsible with your deposits. depending on time constraints i will probably do header panels by request. then after the first run of fenders are finished i will do a run of headers, then door panels, then sideskirts. these are all oem style parts, no bling or rice. still not sure if i should do dx or si style skirts
grimms mom

Vicious

i'me very interested do you have any pics of finished products? any on your car or something?

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
What is the difference between the 85 and 86 fenders?

I'm definately interested in a set of fenders, header pannel, and side skirts. My side skirts are developing cracks.

Z
1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
so many toys, so little money. sad.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
im not positive, but i think between the 85 and 86 years there was the change in the corner lights, the lights extended slightly futher out than the 85's so the fenders maybe had to extend about 1/8 to 1/4 " further im not positive about this, and i dont have a pair of 85's to go off of. has anyone used 85 fenders on 86 0r 87 cars with 86 style corners? or vice versa? anyway, i dont have pics at this time of a completely finished product because i havent completed a set of fenders yet, but they will look just like 87 factory fenders. if you want to wait for pictures it will be about the 15th for a prototype
grimms mom

Vicious

10-4 i''ll keep up with this thread till then. when do you want deposits sent and everything and to where?

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
30 dollar deposits will be accepted january 1st through the 20th with final payment and shipping due upon notification (3 day window) that your set is ready for shipping. please pm me directly for payment details
grimms mom

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (icebox187 @ Dec 27 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im not positive, but i think between the 85 and 86 years there was the change in the corner lights, the lights extended slightly futher out than the 85's so the fenders maybe had to extend about 1/8 to 1/4 " further im not positive about this, and i dont have a pair of 85's to go off of. has anyone used 85 fenders on 86 0r 87 cars with 86 style corners? or vice versa? anyway, i dont have pics at this time of a completely finished product because i havent completed a set of fenders yet, but they will look just like 87 factory fenders. if you want to wait for pictures it will be about the 15th for a prototype

The '86-'87 Si fenders should be the same as the others, except for the 1/2 hole toward the bottom, for attaching the wider side skirts.

I have interchanged a few of these fenders, and put CertiFit fenders on 3 or 4 CRXs, including 2 '86 Sis. I have also switched early and late corner lights.

Keith, who really should order a pair of these fiberglass fenders...

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
thats what i was guessing.... these dont have the hole btw, but the fiberglass is easy to drill if you have 86-87 si skirts
grimms mom

Vicious

10-4 i'll send an initial deposit on the 1st i'll pm you that same day for the payment details wink.gif

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
update: here's the video i was talking about, its kinda lame, but you'll get the idea

click here
grimms mom