So Whos Interested In A Header?

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Header

What set up would you like to see?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Ive been looking into making a custom header for our cars, i know its getting more and more difficult to find one.

This thread is to test the waters not only to see if theres a market, but for you guys to answer a couple questions for me. Ive attatched a poll, but feel free to throw out your own ideas.

The main idea would be to buy .125 mandrel weldable elbows, tubing, and 3/8" machined flanges to make the entire piece. The pieces would be machined flat after welding. The header would most likely be 4-2-1. I have a stock manifold/motor to mock up the entire thing. I would most likely make the header to fit the DX/HF cars but if you guys think that the SI would be better please say so. The header would make the bend under the car and tight to the oil pan and then straight back to exhaust flange. I would recomend that a flex pipe to be installed right after the header to prevent any breakdown.

So what do you think. Steel or stainless.

One other thought, this header may be best welded and made to have an elbow welded onto from a shop for shipping reasons. But i could also sell the pieces together and you can clamp them together after arrival.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I voted steel because its much easier to weld and also cheaper. I think that if you make the 4-2-1 design Your should make it a two pice header, this would make shipping go down and also you would have the option to make one upper half and two lower half's to fit either the si or the dx/hf depending on the buyer.

I cant say I am interested (at the moment) as I have money tied up in engine swap madness but just my 0.02

Mark L

I would like to see dyno results. I really do not care how pretty it is.

QUOTE (chedda_j @ Dec 14 2010, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread is to test the waters not only to see if theres a market, but for you guys to answer a couple questions for me. Ive attatched a poll, but feel free to throw out your own ideas.

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

oldskul

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: av1 integra
i will gets some but i agree with mark i wanna see some dyno runs with the headers
RIP Terry delgado

black87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 honda crx si
i would be intrested

was up my name is antonio I <3 MY HONDA!

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Well if i could work with one of you guys that want to try out a tester on their car, maybe someone looking to get thier car dynoed in the near future? Id probably be willing to make the piece for fairly cheap for the testee..

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage
i think its a great idea chedda and i am really happy your stepping up to the plate and making parts for our cars when other companies are stopping
The Original CR-Z driver

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
It's handy to give an approximate pricepoint.

For example, at $175 and its no trouble to hook up
I'm probably interested in a couple of Si ones.

$350 and I doubt I'm interested at all.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Post some HP/TQ gain numbers and Id be more interested.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

93hpCRX

• Greasemnkey
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRXSI
Well come spring after tax time ill be getting my car tuned better and will be dyno'd, Im hoping the motor will last till then but as everyone knows, things happen no better how well the motor is built. I currently have a Pacesetter header. Its ok but personally i think its a bit to small, pipe diameter that it, poor bends too. I like the 4-2-1 idea though. 4-1 bottoms out to bad on my car. no matter how easy i am on the bottom

My Build

Id be interested in one if the price is right.

One other thought to save on shipping and money. Everyone will agree with me, people; including me, love cheap. Why not Give the option of having a DIY kit as well. Bend the piping, make a exhaust side template that bolts up. I myself enjoy fabricating and making things for my car like several other members. It will also save on shipping due to size of the box.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I have a header already so I wouldn't really be much for interest in another but I'll add my $0.02 if you fancy. The only things I see a market for would be race application designs for high end power that would be a dirty job because every racer is going to want different specs OR turbo manifolds since nobody else makes them... I'd seriously consider buying one once I get my hatch reliable.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

EJ86si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
I might be interested as well. But like mentioned above I'd probably want to see dyno numbers and price first. So it'd depend on those 2 things. DIY kit would be a sweet idea as well. Also agree with it being made out of weldeable steel... it'd just makes things a lot easier and keep the cost down.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
It really looks like a weldable mild steel header would be better in the long run anyways, ive read a frew articles that all point towards reliability and durability coming from a thicker mild steel, rather than stainless. As some know, stainless as it gets hot actually looses its stregth and eventually, especially on a header, the stainless can turn white and crack. Yes the DIY kit does sound like something i may be interested in. Just to straighten a few things out, i wont be making the bends myself, they will mandrell bends that you can buy that are fairly thick. I will be installing one my car in the spring but i really dont see myself going to a dyno untill the following year. 93 hp crx, im interested in sending one to you as soon as your ready to do the dyno. Till then il be making a prototype and il post the finished product then.

Turbo manifolds would be easy, i would only make them to a T4/T3 design, because its now the most common turbo out there and most likely be well suited to our motors.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I agree with what everyone has said, but most of all, I would like to keep my dx oilpan. So if there was one for the dx, that would be great.

I understand the cat is located there, but I can have a generic one installed for cheaper than the OEM replacement.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thats the thing, in order to install the header the oem cat may need to be moved further back?