Anyone Still Out There?

• You cannot reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage

Get it back in! LOL

Ha, it came out because it sounded like a jar of marbles when it ran and every gear needed new syncros when I bought it, it was a "won't pass smog and we don't know why" car that I planned on just swapping over to a B18C1 since the EW3 proved to be next to impossible to get quality parts for.

The inability to get parts and then RPR shutting down for long enough to lose much of its traffic has essentially killed the project, I'd offer it up for sale but at this point I don't even know what a good asking price would be since from what I can tell, I'll never be able to afford a good running example with them running into the 5 digit range /when/ and /if/ they ever go up for sale around here.  I've had a Craigslist search term going since around 2016, I have gotten maybe 3-4 hits in 3 years.

Would love to own one again still, a functional example, but the one I have is beyond my ability to get going on, its an immaculate shell with a few choice suspension and cosmetic goodies, but I have neither the space nor the time to start from scratch on the mechanical aspects, and there's no shop that'd want to do it ether, I checked, I was going to go take out a bunch of money and just drop it at a shop for a year or two.

I started out with my red 1984 DX over 15 years ago, check my join date, I was 16, I'm 32 now, I had more time then than I do now, less money, but more time. Pretty much taking on the project was a bad idea for me, I should have gotten a good clean running car that I could improve on instead of a project that I couldn't find a focal point to work on.

www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58417

Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

CSPCRX

They are getting so rare to find now for sure.  There is one for sale north of Phoenix and the body looks in really good shape but the interior is very rough and they still want $2500 for it not running.  Sorry to hear your engine and trans let go.  Your right on parts very hard to find as well.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Welcome back and glad you saw that chatter about RPR.

Not sure what happened there, looks like the hosting server was down for a bit. Sorry!

"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

CSPCRX

All good!  We appreciate you keeping the site up.  It truly is legendary in the 1st gen CRX and 3rd gen Civic world.

I hope you keep it up.  Are donations still needed, based on the meter?

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

No donations needed, another member is donating server space, so there are no ongoing costs at the moment! I should update that meter...

CSPCRX

Great news!  Very nice of them.  Thanks for keeping the site up!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Apologies for the downtime the last couple of days, server issue.

Aras3G

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1983 Civic Hatch 1.3 Carb'd

Hello Everyone!

I am a young owner of a 83' 3rd Gen Civic with 1.3 Carb'd EV2 with 5 speed from Turkey. This forum has been a goldmine for me as literally as no one in Turkey is trying to get these cars back on road and most of them have been scrapped (Seen only 2 other 3rd gens, one on sale and other was a neglected road driven one by an old guy.) plus we dont really have scrapyards that you can pull and haul like us so parts are extremly hard and expensive  . I was extremely worried that site shut downed forever as no one else speaks about 3rd gen civics and 1st gen crx's and the info up here is simply lifesaver.

I will probably have a lot of questions and they may sound dumb but I wanna do everything by myself on the car because mechanics here has done nothing but fuck up my car, last one broke the speedometer cable so right now dont have speedo/odometer but cool thing about the car is its so slow whatever I do I should be fine lol, plus im a broke college kid which makes this adventure a tad harder.

Anyway wanted to say hi as I have been using the forum for last 4 months but newly created an account and so happy to see the forum still kickin.

See yall around, stay safe have a good one.

Aras

CSPCRX

Welcome to RPR.  Site was down for a while but thankfully it’s back!  One of the best recourses on the web for these cars.  So much knowledge recorded.

many switched to the FaceBook version a number of years ago but I am hopeful they will slowly come back as FB doesn’t capture the discussions like the website does.

that said responses may be slower but someone will chime in.  You can tell by all the threads I am very active on here, not a FB fan so I hang out here.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Aras3G

• Granny
  • Pip

Welcome to RPR.  Site was down for a while but thankfully it’s back!  One of the best recourses on the web for these cars.  So much knowledge recorded.

many switched to the FaceBook version a number of years ago but I am hopeful they will slowly come back as FB doesn’t capture the discussions like the website does.

that said responses may be slower but someone will chime in.  You can tell by all the threads I am very active on here, not a FB fan so I hang out here.

Yeah I see what you mean, I dont use facebook as well but maybe I should check it out if they are more active there. Hope people come back here though as you said this forum is really something special. Will post a question that I had for a while now dont want to hijack this thread I would be really happy if you can chime in.

Edit: I can't seem to start a new topic it crashes and says refresh the page. Is it only me?

Edited by Aras3G, 29 September 2021 - 01:34 PM.

CSPCRX

That’s odd.  Just post it in here.  May be because your so new but I have no clue.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

letank

Still driving... another 400 miles last week from SF to the Sierras and back... the only issue:  the thermostat failed open... not fun in the cold morning as it takes forever for the heater to generate some warmth .. upon removal the inner rubber seal split... it is a Murray MU55877... the oem does not have any rubber, it is copper on metal!

as for the extra news, there was a CRX in parts place with poor idling, it told the owner to join this well staffed site

Post edit, the Murray 3877 does not have the inner rubber gasket

CSPCRX

Glad it failed open so you did t over heat.  

hopefully they sign up.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Aras3G

• Granny
  • Pip

That’s odd.  Just post it in here.  May be because your so new but I have no clue.

Hello 

Sorry for not posting in a while, stuff got in way.

My friend is K-swaping his 92' EG Hatch and he is upgrading the whole brake system. Im in need of brakes as its not good and even had few close calls in when city driving, the pedal just randomly pops up and stiffens and you just lose the stopping power found that pumping the pedal helped a little but still not sure whats the reason for it. We removed EG's master cylinder to fit mine but patterns are diffrent on the booster (Non-si preludes are non existent in Turkey so cant get my hands on one). So I was thinking about just swapping the whole brake system to my car inorder to solve my random braking problems. 

Is it possible fit the brakes from an EG to 3G without welding/cutting as I dont have the tools, skills or money to afford. Thinking about changing it in garage would I require any special tools or stuff? Will the brake booster fit or should I only swap some parts like calipers and rotors? I do not know what parts would fit or not so looking forward to hear from you guys if you have any other ideas please chime in as well.

Also I am planning to swap the 2 fan half sized radiator from his EG. I took it home and cleaned the hoses it looks decent. The previous owner swapped the radiator from a random car here and ran the car with drinking water not anti freeze. Im not sure with its cooling power my temps just goes up and down most of the time, fan kicks when its too hot for my liking so I manually switch it on or off with a button. Car also leaked coolant when I first got it but a mechanic sealed it but I still have to check and top up the water after every ride.

I know that our cars are pretty much special when it comes to parts and stuff but is it possible to fit any parts (engine, transmission, suspension interior just anything) from EG's and EF's without much hassle? Those are the ones that we have here so I dont have any options.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to hear from you.

CSPCRX

I am not 100% on the EG brakes.  I ran mid 90s civic brakes on mine for years, I just don’t recall what they were from other than they were non-abs.  Someone was telling me the S2000 booster is the same as the 84-87s as he used one on his car.

I would email FastBrakes, he is very knowledgeable about what does and doesn’t transfer from one chassis to the other.  Brakes do not really require much in the line of tools.

here in the US you can get aftermarket radiators still for the cars. If it’s not getting beyond 50% on the gauge I wouldn’t worry but I would run some antifreeze in it.  Also could be a sign of a sticking thermostat.

not much is going to transfer from those cars other than the engine and trans but that means a swap and even more work and parts.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily