Suddenly Loud Fuel Pump

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Just wanted to share an experience I had so it may help someone else in the future.  Not this applies to fuel injection only.

if you follow my post here,  http://www.redpepper...showtopic=59547 ,  you will see I had an spin at the track.  Since then I noticed the fuel pump was very loud and the car is not running as well as it was before the spin.  My thinking is perhaps I stirred up junk in the tank and plugged the filter.

My setup is an aftermarket fuel pump in the stock location with a filter between the tank and the pump to keep junk from hurting the pump.  If you have a stock fuel pump you have a small screen in the end of the pump to do the same thing.

I pulled the filter apart and sure enough it was full of junk.  Cleaned out the filter and housing, mine is reusable, and sure enough the pump is quite again.

so if you suddenly are noticing a louder than normal fuel pump your pre filter may be causing the pump to have to work harder and it need to be cleaned.  I also drained out a few gallons of gas from the tank and found the same black junk came out.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Thnx for sharing.   I had exact same issue.  But was from a car sitting 4yrs.  The pump ran quiet for the first minute at start up, the really noisy.  Removed the pump and found the oe cone filter clogged.

Ever look at the sock filter in the tank? I never have

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

No I didn’t look at it.  I did drain a few gallons out of the tank and got some of the same dark matter that was in the filter.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily