Fuel Air Mixture ?

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si, 1985 honda civic (the beater), 1987 civic si (converted), 1988 toyota markII
    • Image Gallery
hi guys
i was wondering if you could help me with somthing, a while ago me and a few mates did a 'carb to fuel injection' conversion on my car (1986 civic sedan lx) and all went well but im wondering what this thing is:

one guy rekons its the fuel/air mixture, so im just wondering what it is and where it should be set. currently the slit where the screwdriver goes to turn the knob is strait up and down and can move a little to the left and quite a bit to the right. when the car is idle for a while you can see a little bit of liquid dripping out of the exhaust so im guessing thats unburnt fuel, so i thought that that knob might be set wrong.

oh yea the engine is an ew4 but can probly tell that.

lol if you could understand all of that and be of help i would apreciate it biggrin.gif

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That doesn't look very similar to my EW4/D15A3.... Where are you located? What year car did that motor come from?

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si, 1985 honda civic (the beater), 1987 civic si (converted), 1988 toyota markII
    • Image Gallery
im in new zealand, and im not entirely sure what model car this engine came from but it was a hatchback 3rd gen civic, but its definatly a ew4 cause its written on the engine.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You need to know if that liquid is fuel or not... get under there and catch some of it, give it a smell, if you see colours, its gas laugh.gif

I was not aware that the EW4/D15A3 had a idle mixture adjustment, I know my D15A3 does not, but it also doesn't have that vacuum control box like yours does, at least not looking like that and in that location.

My suggestion is to go to your local Honda dealer and ask one of the mechanics about it.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

zc-hybrid

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic CR-VTEC
that is for fuel mixture adjustment at idle.

its exactly the same as a UK 1.5i . get an emission pipe up the exhaust and get a garage to set the mixture.

i have set mine on my old car before by going over lean and the car runs real bad, then just turning the screw until it sound s sweet and idle is good.

it only does the idle mixture, not the whole rev range or under load conditions... that is sorted by the map sensor and ecu.

im guessing the car does not run a CAT, hence the mixture screw, and right hand drive, where you from??

Edited by zc-hybrid, 30 March 2004 - 01:57 AM.

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
im in new zealand, and no it doesnt have a CAT (i assume u meant catalytic converter).

sadly its probly not even worth worrying about this anyway cause the car has just about had it body wise, there is rust everywhere and last week my windscreen got a crack in it which cant be repaired so it needs a new screen but there is rust under where the screen mounts so unless i can get mates rates panelbeating im just gonna have to give this car up. its my first car tho and when i bought it i didnt have the knowledge to spot all the bad points which i now know of, especially the rust problem rolleyes.gif

anyway since im new to these forums i may as well let ya see the whole car:

this one was taken just after i got it:

and this is the original engine:

and here is what the car looked like about 2 months ago (you can see the rust repair ive done at the back):

and the new engine you have already seen in my first post.

Edited by Jonno2002, 30 March 2004 - 02:20 AM.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Looking good, very nice Sedan. That EW4 gives it that extra kick that everyone is dying for... well done!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

nivek2002

dang, sorry to hear about all your trouble, rust is evil! If you do HAVE to junk the car I will pay good money to have you ship me those headlights for my sedan. Thanks

OldSkoolEX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 96 Fiesta Zetec, New Project Coming Soon
    • Image Gallery
it doesnt look too bad to me.. mine had/has a few rusty spots. infact i just got done patching some areas earlier today.

i think if you can save it you should.. so far ive patched about 5 holes under the trunk seals, rebuild half of one arch, patched under the rear window, patched the other rear arch (damn thing started getting rusty over the winter) and ive still got to patch behind one of the front mudflaps and sand misc rust spots and patch them.

kevin i could probably source some jdm headlights for you..

EDIT: those rims are nice.. what did they come off.. i think theyre integra rims but im not sure what generation.. wouldnt mind some of those for my sedan.

Edited by OldSkoolEX, 30 March 2004 - 01:14 PM.

user posted image
96 Fiesta Zetec - The DD
87 Ballade - Sold for a bag of peanuts
Next Project - Coming Soon (I hope)
My Gallery

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
the rust is in the nasty hidden spots, both front pillars at the base of the windscreen have rust in them, the black bit just under the passengers door has a nice hole developing (already patched along that side too by the previous owner as i can see patches), the rust at the back was the worst but ive already taken to that as u can see, but i only primered over the repairs so thats starting to get a bit of surface rust again. hmm what else, from what i can see its not gonna be a pretty sight when i remove the windscreen, thats just from pulling off the plastic around it and digging out piles of rust rolleyes.gif . but im gonna take it to a mate of a mate who is a panelbeater and he might be able to fix it for cheap.

and those mags came off a 91 DA6 integra xsi.