Mls Headgasket Group Buy - D16a1

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

hondaman23

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: All Hondas and Acura
I know, I know. I am considered a newb. I promise you that I am not. I have been racing the D16A1 for 10 years now. I have owned 3 ZC powered Civic/CRXs and thought that it was better to go with a B18A1 in my last 1991 Civic Si. I is allright, but not like my D16s. I am building a D16A1 with a turbo right now and have the need for the most important part of the engine to keep it together properly - THE HEAD GASKET.

I have been searching for MLS style gaskets for quite some time now. I have found a source that actually is an original equipment manufacturer for Honda and they are willing to make gaskets to order. I actually used the contact for gasketstogo.com and I can get a few made.

I have a price schedule from the manufacturer. I will send an original gasket to this guy (he is in Thailand) and then he can make them. Right now I am getting the 1.0 mm thick gasket. It is better for use in the turbo engines, but still can be used easily on all motor. That is 0.040 inches for those that like to talk in those terms.

I need to know if any one is interested. I am getting 3 to 4 of these since these are the engines that I run in most of my race cars. He might be able to make them thinner (he says so) so we could get a great deal on these if we can get 7 more people in on this.

Please let me know at [email protected] ASAP. I need these gaskets fairly soon so I am ready to move. Please tell everyone about this deal that needs one of these gaskets. I will need a deposit if you need one.

Here is the price schedule:
Quantity USD each
2 $125.95
10 $99.95

That does not include shipping. We can settle the balance after I get the orders and I know what the price will be. Please contact me at my email, I will get that sooner.
86 CRX - Going Turbo!!
91 Civic Si - Fun Toy
94 Acura Legend LS 6sp Coupe
95 Acura Legend GS
96 Honda Passport (too bad it's an Isuzu)

Infinityzero

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: D16a1 Powered 3rd gen hatch, D15a1 Powered first gen Crx
possibly a little off topic but, The head gaskets from Acura arent composite are they?

hondaman23

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Infinityzero @ Jan 28 2007, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
possibly a little off topic but, The head gaskets from Acura arent composite are they?

The original Acura headgasket for the D16A1 is a graphite composite. The ones that I am referring to are the MLS spring steel gaskets. Best bolt on headgasket.
86 CRX - Going Turbo!!
91 Civic Si - Fun Toy
95 Acura Legend GS

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
So how much more beneficial are these than a new OEM Acura gasket? Are the OEMs weak? I ask because I will be boosted this year. Also how does the thickness compare to OEM one? And how is the quality of these?

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
QUOTE (ChrisF-dude @ Jan 29 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how much more beneficial are these than a new OEM Acura gasket? Are the OEMs weak? I ask because I will be boosted this year. Also how does the thickness compare to OEM one? And how is the quality of these?

the oem gasket is ok for low boost. when u start to crank it up they let go. a multi layer head gasket like any oem b-series gasket is a must when running boost. these gaskets can hold 30 plus lbs of boost and well into the 800whp range. what hondaman23 is doing is great for u d16a1 guys. i would def jump on this group buy thing if i were u.

dave

c1vt3gr4

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 90 crx si...82 cressida w/ 7m-ge motor swap...95 civic coupe w/ 99 integra front end, jdm cluster, mini me turbo 15psi of boost, half built
    • Image Gallery
i'll take 10 of it...asap...or 20 or what ever...

Edited by c1vt3gr4, 30 January 2007 - 01:13 AM.

user posted image

87 crx no hood

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si zc
yeah i want some to!

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
is that price per gasket if you order 10?
...$1000 worth of gaskets? jesus. the motors are barely worth $100.

I do love mine too though. I'll probably buy one of these special gaskets while telling myself i'm gunna boost it.

on another note...how much do boost levels really have to do w/ combustion pressures?? There is a certain pressure at which gasoline spontaneously combusts (few hunded psi?) that us non-diesel folk have to stay below, boosted or not. The effect of boost on peak non-combustion cylinder pressure is obviously an increase, so turbo cars have a lower compression ratio to prevent dieseling. Conversely, NA cars have a higher compression ratio, because, as we know, the higher the pressuse the more power. So both cars have similar non-combustion cylinder pressures...I suppose the combustion of the turbo motor produces significantly higher pressures...but how much higher? enough to need a tougher gasket? I suppoise so...but I guess I'm not too sure, after all, I don't think I'll be pulling 800 HP out of the engine. would a regular gasket be enough to hold 10 psi? 20? is there a middle of the road gasket?

on another nother note....I have access to a CNC...can the gasket material be obtained in sheets? how hard is it to make?
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
I want a 3mm one like HKS's old one. 200whp, here I come, unless someone buys my turbo kit....

hondaman23

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (MrDisibility @ Jan 30 2007, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want a 3mm one like HKS's old one. 200whp, here I come, unless someone buys my turbo kit....

Sorry guys, I have finally checked with the top of the hill and HKS has confirmed that they still make one of the D16A1 style gaskets. There were a few of you that said that they still made them, but I have checked on these many times and all I was getting was that they were discontinued, over and over again.

I went to HKS directly and found that they still offer the 0.7 mm bead stlye HG but it is on back order for 4 more weeks. I have already ordered 2 and that should do me for a while.

The Group Buy is OFF. Sorry to get the thread going and then drop it on its head, but it better to let it go now and stop everyone from hoping. Well, if HKS still backs out, we have another source for the future.

Thanks!
86 CRX - Going Turbo!!
91 Civic Si - Fun Toy
95 Acura Legend GS

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
as compensation, could you tell us the price on the HKS piece and instructions on where/how to order?
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC