K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
384 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Local Parker company…. Like Parker hoses?  They make custom hydraulic hoses?

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Yes Parker Hoses.  The one here in Phoenix is great.  You can walk in and get a custom hose made on the spot, if they are not too busy.  The store here also stocks tons of AN fittings and other “car” items like that.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Hydro conversion done and installed for good!  Fits great and I feel it turned out really cleanly.  Here is a picture of the final pedal assembly with master.

52595499420_17ea26ccab_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

As you can see from this picture the banjo clears with plenty of room.  The lines, from reservoir and to slave, do need to be installed before swinging it up into final position.  It just makes it much easier.

52594588917_e0f64d7b3f_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

as you can see from these pics the lines run really cleanly and out of the way.

52595335409_fe2cc28b76_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr
52594588922_fa45f792b8_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

getting to a short list now.  Bleed clutch, fill coolant, new filter and oil, new plugs, and the last big item is the harness which is somewhat done.  Charge harness is built, engine is built and being loomed and taped, and which leaves the section that goes to ecu and car.  Going to work on it more Monday and try to get us close to firing up!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Been working on wiring and a few other things over the last week.  Engine harness is all wrapped and ready to go on the motor, charge harness is build, sub harness is done, but not wrapped, and adapter harness is built but not wrapped.

new plugs, O2, and a couple of other small parts installed getting ready for first fire up.  

One of the last “build” items was the coolant overflow tank.  With space being limited I had to get creative one where to place it.  Thought about a generic plastic tank but wasn’t happy with mounting locations.  there is a space above the radiator that looked perfect to me.  After running some calculations on how big the tank should be, 0.2 gal or about 10-12% of the systems volume, hatched a plan.  Using some 3” OD square tube and some matching flat stock I was able to put together a small tank that fits perfectly above the radiator.  Had a friend weld it up, he sure makes nice welds!

52609093613_b2c648da08_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

To add some coolant to it I am using an ILX OEM filler tube and cup.  Tube had to be cut obviously but it all works and I made a bracket from some of the left over aluminum.

52609019165_e8451c5bcc_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

we are shooting for a first fire up next week! 

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
Awesome progress CSP!

Re the O2 sensor … are you going to run just one A/F sensor? What are you using? Honda? Aftermarket? Wideband or narrow band? Wideband for tuning, and then narrow band thereafter?

Really useful info re the 10-12% needed for an expansion / overflow tank!

Thanks for sharing :)

Agree wrt your friend’s welding … really professional!
Bob

CSPCRX

Appreciate the feedback.

Only running one O2 sensor.  I’m using an OEM sensor for an RSX.

I’ve, as many have I am sure, a wide variety of DIY coolant overflow tanks.  Everything from Jack Daniels bottles, Gatorade bottles, and Monster cans.  I knew there had to be some science behind the sizing of overflow tanks.  A quick search of the internet found my answer.  Then I just had to do the math to know what length the square tube needed to be cut to.

I prefer to have a system that will work correctly and keep things cool!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Main engine harness installed!  First fire up is getting so close!

52611428641_d4f9012b04_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Wow, that’s packed!

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

2.4L where 1.3 and 1.5 once lived.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Seems like everything took twice as long yesterday when working on things.  Made some progress but did not get enough done to attempt a first startup.

coolant overflow tank was permanently installed above the radiator.  Fits so well right there.  You can see in this photo how well it uses the space, had the fill hose off because it blocked the view.  Powder coating the fill cup bracket I made and when that’s done will get a picture of that installed in its final resting place on the upper core support.

52621207001_756f55cba0_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Also built a bracket to hold the wiring harness at the back of the motor.  I’m using an Accord harness that has two large connectors at the back of the motor.  I was able to modify the OEM bracket to make it bolt to the firewall and hold the harness up away from the header and  keep it from flopping around.  Love it when stock parts can be repurposed.  Powder coating the bracket since it had to be cut up to work so I did not install it yet, just test fit it.  Once it’s done I’ll get a picture of it installed.

Had to install a relay for the fan.  I am running a redundant system.  The ECU controls the fan, thus it needed a relay to do so.  But I still have a fan switch on the side of the radiator so if one fails the other can still ensure the fan turns on.  This required running another wire from the cabin and seemed to fight us every step of the way.

Also looked at the speedhut harness for the speed gauge.  Had a bunch of wires not needed for my application so unpinning those wires and removed them to keep it cleaner.  All you need is power, ground, and the VSS signal.

Plan is to work on it this weekend.  Big items left are wiring connections at ECU and adapter harness and finishing the battery tray.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
🍿 !!!!

:)

Edited by rufusbob, 11 January 2023 - 06:08 PM.

Bob

CSPCRX

Bit more progress.

overflow tank filler mounted.

52632563713_494ea1f459_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Main wiring harness bracket installed and harness attached.  Wrapped up a few connections to some sensors that had not been made.  Also started running the charge harness and connected it to alternator, starter and ran to battery.

52632522075_3d07f4e80d_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Put oil and a filter in the motor.  Will top it off after startup.

52631566202_0c78edfdc1_c.jpg by Victor M, on Flickr

Also started filling the coolant.  In the process discovered a few leaks.  The plug in the top of the radiator was not sealing.  This is actually the drain plug but we flip the radiator to make it work.  Also the fan switch was seeping.  Decided to pull the radiator and add some Honda bond to both to see if that stops both of them.

52632522090_a744d76f2d_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

one step backwards but it actually made it easier to run the charge harness.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Sorry for the slow updates.  Been traveling for work a lot and work on the swap has been less consistent.  Have run into a couple of challenges that we are working through.

first was we discovered two leaks in the radiator.  One is where the fan switch threads in, fixed that with some Honda Bond and tightening.  The other is where we plugged what was originally the drain plug.  Since the original plug was so large and near the alternator we had to find a flat plug.  Problem was it is not cut the same way.  So we had to find an o-ring that would hold up.  Found one and no more leaks.

During clutch bleeding we discovered we have air in the system and have been chasing getting it out.  We have bled the system multiple times, and it’s gotten better but there is still air.  In gear with the clutched depressed we are getting clutch drag.  I ordered a RFI, Reverse Force Injection, tool to actually force fluid in at the slave.  This, in theory, pushed the air in the direction it naturally wants to go which is up.  Going to try this tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

been making some headway on wiring.  Built a small harness for the AIM Solo 2 DL that plugs into the ECU.  Simplified the wiring for the SpeedGuage and started connecting adapter harness.  There are actually on 5 wires were are connecting to.  Most of that goes to the dash.  Also made a small harness to bring tachometer signal and coil power from driver side to inside where ECU is.

speaking of the ECU, we built a bracket to mount it to the bar on the back of the glove box.  Since I don’t have AC there a great space for it and keeps it up and out of the way.  Also allows the OBD2 port and Hondata Cable to easily be stashed in the glove box.

Will have an update tomorrow night or Sunday.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
So close!

I’m pretty sure automotive coolant related orings are EPDM. Material not always advertised

Using OEM Honda master/slave right? is it just a slight angle issue causing trapped air? Or common issue w that particle part model

please share a pix of the fluid injection unit. curious. More tools to play w……
Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Slave is from K tuned.  There appears to be some type of delay valve in the oem slave.  This valve basically makes it so you just can’t dump the clutch, the one from K Tuned doesn’t have the valve.  The master is from a Toyota Sion.  Same bore, 5/8, but it’s more compact than the Honda version.

here is a link to the bleeder

https://www.amazon.c...egion_id=972485

bleed the system with the RFI and it seems to have worked as we have a much better peddle now and clutch is releasing.  Seems to have done the trick.  So I put the radiator and overflow tank back in and filled the system.  No leaks either so we are good to go there.

Here is a pic of the ECU in its final position.

52655189861_a0d57222b8_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

cut a small opening in the ECU housing today as well for the signal wires that go from the ecu board to the AIM Solo2

did more wiring today as well.  Ran wires from passenger side to drivers side for clutch and brake signal as well as a couple of power wires for ECU, Solo2 and SpeedGuage.  Wire for clutch is so I can use full throttle shift and line launch, should I want to.  Using an OEM brake switch for this function on the clutch pedal.  Brake signal to ECU will be used more as a telemetry data point when reviewing my laps.  Required me to have to change the brake switch to one that has four connections as the 84-87 Civic and CRX only have two.  Also made a few more connections at the adapter harness and cleaned up a bit of the old wiring that was in the car.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily