Cg (d16a1) Transmission Bent Fork Selector?

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

ott100

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
I am doing a d16a1 swap from an 89 integra into an 86 crx. I got the engine and Trans out of the teg with the linkage on but thought it would be difficult to get it into the crx with the linkage still in place. Because of this I began the annoying process of removing the stupid spring pin holding on the shift linkage.

Once the pin was out, the shift linkage was still stuck on from all the corrosion. I used a lot of non-recommended procedures to twist the shift linkage to break it free. After a while of twisting I noticed my Trans was not shifting correctly. I opened the Trans up and nothing appeared Brocken I figured something just got out of alignment and when I put it back together it would all be fine. I put it back together and the stupid thing still wouldn’t shift right. It felt like it was stuck between the 1st and 2nd shift fork and 3rd and 4th shift fork when in neutral.

After opening it up once more to inspect I found the “fork selector” ,forgive me if this is not the correct terminology, was indeed pushing the “ thing that selects the gear” between the 1st and 2nd fork and 3rd and 4th fork. Once I looked closer it appeared bent (it doesn’t appear to sit evenly between the retaining posts). What I’m wondering is if this appears bent to anyone else, perhaps someone who has had a Trans like this apart before.

My other question is (if this is bent) does anyone have a “Parts trans” or something where they have a linkage assembly like this that they would sell? The yard by me won’t let me pull this part because they wanna sell transmissions as units. OR! Is this something you guys would consider maybe just bending back? The idea sounds sketchy to me as transmissions seem to be kind of precise units.

Thanks for any insight.

Posted Image

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Can't tell if it is bent as I don't have a box apart.

The pin that holds the solid selector bit that sits in the part pictured is sometimes difficult to seat properly. It has to sit at no more than 12.5mm above the selector housing. I'd check that. I do have a workshop manual section on the CG gearbox if you don't have access. Can email it to you next week once I'm back at work.(scanner needed)
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

ott100

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i think ! i have have that same manual cant be sure tho . are you talking the pin that holds those two other pieces together and sids sits in the whole at the bottom of the assemply or the "knob" that sits in the fork that i am questioning if its maybe bent :) ? thanks

ott100

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Ok! Went to the yard to get the part. I called back and asked a different guy if I could buy the part, and he said yes. After searching for hours I concluded that they crushed my parts car :( on the way home I stopped at a friend’s house and bent that piece straight. Put it in and the Trans shifts perfect :) I have the whole thing reassembled except the fifth gear components. I took them apart so long ago I’m having trouble remembering what direction the gear on the countershaft goes on. It’s flat one side and has a protruding ring on the other around the whole. Does anyone know what side goes up? Thanks

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ok. My manual says you install the countershaft 5th gear 'with high side facing down'. I think that means the side with the small ring depression goes up. The spring washer then goes on concave face down.

Pic from my spare box

[img]http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/271560-1/IMGP2124.JPGhttp://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/271560-1/IMGP2124.JPG[/img]
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"