Tachometer Not Working Right

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

RYANDCOKE

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Civic LX Sedan
Hi everybody, this is my first post, so please bear with me. Just trying to fix the factory tach in my '85 LX Sedan. When the car is running, the tach is jumping all over the place (usually burying itself past 9,000 RPM!!), but everything else is running fine (the rest of the cluster still reads accurate). Where does the tach receive it's signal? Is it possible that this is a simple problem, because I really don't want to replace the entire cluster (my car is all original with only 169,000 kms!!) Help!

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
Make sure your plug wires are in good shape.

When I had a plug wire work loose, my tach did all sorts of crazy things due to electrical noise.
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

CRXdan

I had the same problem. Replaced teh distrbitor and it fixed teh problem.
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

xthreetwosevenx

• broken camshaft
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic si
a weak alternator can do the same thing. my girlfriends gti did that.
user posted image
SportInjectedClub

C8V6C

My civic did the same right before the alternator gave out. Replaced the alternator and it seems to be almost as accurate as the autometer.

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

rally25rs

• push the seat back a little lower watch light bend in the blower
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '01 Forester
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have simmilar issuesd, except mine only does it when its cold out... and the ammount the tech jumps up seems relative to the throttle position... the needle jumps around a bit above actual RPM at idle, and them i hit the gas it jumps over 9k hahaha! I planned on replacing the cluster cause I have 2 spares, but who knows...

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That is usually a sign that the ignitor (ignition control module/ICM) is going bad. When it dies, you will have an undriveable car, as you get no spark. Either replace the distributor or just the ignitor module and the problem should go away.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

RYANDCOKE

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1985 Civic LX Sedan
Well, it has been sort of cold here of late... Every now and then it seems to be working just fine, but who knows? I will have to look into that ignition module/distributor issue. The parts all look to be in good condition, from a visual standpoint. Any way to check these parts with a somewhat limited mechanical background such as mine? I might have a voltmeter somewhere...

ADDvanced

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si, 90 Civic Si, 00 Insight 5spd, 77 Porsche 911s, 95 Audi S6 Avant, 99 Astro

I just replaced an ignitor module because of this thread and still no tach whatsoever.

I build cool shit  :ph34r:

https://www.youtube.com/addvanced