B16a Turbo 85si

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

wabdlninja

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
I have a 85si that im going to put a b16a in. I was just woundering if a turbo kit would fit. If not im going with a nx nxl kit to save room and make a little power. What do you guys think.

Thanks Nick

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
It will be a tight fit. You may find that you will need the smaller radiator from the carbed models to fit the manifold/turbo. You will have to be creative with the turbo plumbing as well. Not nearly as much room in these cars as in an EF or EG chassis. If you try the smaller rad and it overheats, try a aluminum thicker core rad.
Put up pics if you start this project!
twitter: @lylehatton

NJMUGENCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
forget that turbo! buy my LS shortblock put on your b16 head and youll be screamin!!! cool.gif
-Roger

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 07 Honda Fit
First off, the 84-87 CRX is DAMN LIGHT. The B16 alone is going to make a nice improvement on the car. To be honest, the turbo will be a tight squeeze.

In order for the turbo to fit properly, you will first get rid of the A/C condenser (A/C wont fit on a B series motor in the 1st gen crx anyway) and go with a later Civic (small) dual core radiator, and mout it infront of the support. That way, it will give you the few inches you need for room, and plenty of room on either side of the radiator for piping.
Above all else, my WIFE I f33r the most!
Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF;

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
I'll let you know in about 6 weeks...MWUHAHAHAHAHA!! laugh.gif cool.gif ph34r.gif
bryman
Who the hell is this Zed C. person????
my ebay ID: sterno10

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
BTW, mine should have A/C in it too....I LOVE the new math:
1G crx+B16A+T3 turbo+A/C=one happy SOB!
bryman<----keeping his fingers crossed for that one

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
What kind of tires are you going to destroy with those turbo b's set ups?

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (bryman10 @ Feb 12 2004, 09:01 PM)
BTW, mine should have A/C in it too....I LOVE the new math:
1G crx+B16A+T3 turbo+A/C=one happy SOB!
bryman<----keeping his fingers crossed for that one

Put up some pics!!! biggrin.gif

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
One more question are you guys going to buy turbo kits like from a company such as HKS or something, because I know there is tons of aftermarket suport for the b16

b16a87civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic si 1996 honda civic hb
    • Image Gallery
YES it will fit. i have a 87 civic si hb with a b16 and turbo. i am using a smaller radiator which i think is from a carbed motors. i had a radiator shop put a double row core in it. im also using a fal fan with adjustable thermostat. i have no overheating problems at all. i had to move the radiator a far left a possible to make clearence for the downpipe. im using a drag manifold, i think that a cast one like the drag one is the only ones that would fit. the wastegate i touching the header panel. i will try to get pictues up soon.

-steve-

1fstHF

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 01 WRX , 86 CRX HF
I have a LS/VTEC in mine, it's kinda peppy

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 07 Honda Fit
Ok, I need to see this "B series with A/C" with pictures. Everything I have been told said that it just couldn't be done.... unless you did some MAJOR work on making it fit. Hell, the altinator will rub, unless you make hammer-clearance ajustments....
Above all else, my WIFE I f33r the most!
Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF;

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1fstHF @ Feb 13 2004, 04:47 PM)
I have a LS/VTEC in mine, it's kinda peppy

That's funny stuff! laugh.gif laugh.gif

CSPCRX

I have seen pics on the web of an 87 CRX SI with a Turboed B16a and intercooler. Big problem is just radiator clearance. Other wise thats really it. As far as AC goes. You can get AC on a 1st gen with a B series in it. Its just not easy or cheap. You have to custom make the lines. Now AC and Turbo. Thats a tough one. Having room for the condensor is the issue. The rad. will have to be moved forward and left. Just not much room left up there. But anything is possible if its worth the time and money to you. If so go for it.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it will have an I/C also. I thought my buddy who agreed to take on this project was out of his mind, so I challenged him to make a liar out of me. I'll ask him to take pics. of the project as it develops.
Stay tuned....
bryman

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member