16" Or 17" Wheels

• You cannot reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic

d_bogg32

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 honda crx DX
Im going to buy some wheels for my 85 honda crx and i wanna know which is better. 17x7 with 205/40r/17 with a 1.5 inch lower on the back and front or 16x7.5 with 205/40r/16 with a 2 inch lower in the front and 1.5 lower in the back. keep in mind that im getting a mugen replica kit.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
IMO, larger than 15" wheels makes the car too tall... lowered or not.

If anything, go with 16's, but bigger than that is really pointless, but it is a matter of taste.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

instigatorcrx

• Turbo Junkie...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX
I wish I had gotten 15's, I will be getting 15s for racing next year... But yeah go for 15's. 16's tops, i have 17's must say the make for a good time cruisin biggrin.gif

IamNOTaRicer

• U sux0rz @ teh intArweb
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 Civic Si, '81 Mazda RX-7
No larger than 15"... 16's have too short of a sidewall when you get one that's properly sized and that's just asking for bent rims and a nasty ride. 17's are way out of proportion for these cars and look rediculous. Stay with 15's or even 14's. Less rotating weight, better tire choice and you won't look like a ricer...

--Danny

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I've got 14's on my car, I should have mentioned that, and I think the sidewall is just a little too tall, but they look nice. CRXDan has a really nice set of 15's on his car, they look perfect.

My 14" Snowflakes

Dan's 15's.... beautiful, I am jealous

I guess you COULD go with 16's, but then you have rubber band tires, and it looks good on a newer car, but not ours....

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
what kinda wheels are on CRXDans? and on yours also Rampage. they look nice id like to get a decient set and i just wanna know options biggrin.gif

ImprtRcr02

• You Dare Mess With A Saiyajin??
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 04' Srt-4, working on the crx beast
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hey ramp what size tires are on yours? And is that car lowered any?

ImprtRcr02 < jealous of dans wheels...

ImprtRcr02

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I dont know guys 16'' wheels look sick to me....and think of all that extra contact with the ground-traction, maybe they slow you down a bit durring accel...but your car will stick like a hoover.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have 14" Volkswagen Golf GTI 14-spoke "snowflakes" fron GTI's in the late-80's. I got the idea from PacerRacerGirl (where the hell is she, anyways?) when she got some White ones for her white Si Hatch, and I happened to find a silver set next door to NAPA.... They cost me $200 (kinda pricey) and I used the CRX sized rubber (185/60R-14's) on them. They look better than buttons because they are 6 inch rims, and put more tread contact on the road.

Your car can stick just as well with wider tires, such as a 205/55R-15 (Dans) and he actually has a 25 mm offset, so there is room in the wheel well for a little more, though they rub on the fender and he had to roll them.... Also, larger wheels increase unsprung weight....

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

86CR-X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
well i got 16"ers on mine, it totally depends what you want. r u looking to race and go fast, go for 14 or 15.
i have 16" 205 , 45 on mine, it slows down acceleration,makes the car heavier ,but corners wicked and also looks good.
i have to get new rubber after this summer ,im gonna go down to 40 series,45 is just a little too much meat for me.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes your right, but my car is not really a race car as much as I wich it was I gess I am just to young to understand. sleep.gif

mugen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1988 turbo supra
i got some 205/40/16 they are tight and look good but do rub a little when you make sharp turns but i like them but i would probly go with a 15

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Poseurs get 16's and 17's. Real enthusiasts use 13's for max performance.

I have 205/15/50's for looks and 205/13/60's for racing. I regret getting rid of the 14's that came with the car.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Mar 1 2004, 08:34 PM)
Poseurs get 16's and 17's. Real enthusiasts use 13's for max performance.

That's so true!!

Good example is the Miata in SCCA E-production class. They are allowed to run 13" or 15" rims. Last years national champ chose 13" rims for a reason. Use the smallest diameter rim that will clear your brakes.

Only other reason for larger rims would be tire selection................
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hello,

First off, I'd like to say shame on you guys for saying 17's are too big for our cars biggrin.gif I have a 3G with 17" Racing Harts, which are a lbs. per inch wheel, and even when I have my air-ride at driving height, it looks good...but I have to admit that after seeing a few 1G's with 17's, they do look like wagon wheels biggrin.gif It's all a matter of taste, I guess. What offset were you looking at for the 16 x 7.5's? My 17 x 7's have a +42 and with a 205/40's I had to grind the rear lips completely off so they would clear when I air out. tongue.gif Just my $.02

Thanks!

DSMTimeline.jpg