Aftermarket Camshafts

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
who has one? the only one i found is made by webcam. what else am i missing. what do ya'll use, and is it good for forced induction? this is still for an si motor. thanks scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hello,

Gude/Bullfrog makes 3 different grinds for 1G/3G's...242/242
242/258
258/258

I currently have their 242/242 in my 3G and it is an all-around good street cam. You may be more interested in the other 2 grinds due to using F/I. And I think they will even do custom grinds if you give them the specs you want.

Gude
Thanks!!!

DSMTimeline.jpg

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
airgazm, is that part number 3131m?
SportInjectedClub

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
eastsiderider, 3131M is the part # for the cam I have.

DSMTimeline.jpg

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Colt cams makes about 5-6 different cams for these cars

Doodson

www.coltcams.com

s13240sx

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 89 240sx
I put a gude camshaft into my 87 CRX si.. it made the thing slower than before. i figured it may be a timing issue so i advanced the timing a bit, put in an integra ecu , and put in some integra GSR injectors. It picked up 1/2 second on the time that the car used to run.. Still not what i expected considering the price of everything. the only thing that i noticed a big gain on, is when i used notrous oxide with the setup.. It made a pretty huge diff over the stock setup with nos.. i also liked the higher rev limiter.. I would reccomend porting the head if you are going to do any kind of camshaft upgrade.. that may have been the problem.

I miss my old 87 Rex sad.gif

LEW

• member 420
  • PipPipPipPipPip
anyone know how or if they stamp the cam after grinds. i have a unknown bullfrog cam in a head i'm building.

user posted image
ebay id mike_lew
user posted image

d15a3power

I have a Gude ( Bullfrog) cam in my '85 Si. The changes I noticed before I/H/E install were that it was less powerful starting out. After 3500 RPMs though, there was A LOT more power almost like VTEC. After I/H/E install, the powerband is at about 4000 RPM, with power gains easily measured by butt-dyno. I'm happy.
May thru November only.
Rust never sleeps.

eldo

• Think outside the box horsepower
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86CRX 68Chevelle 69GTO
    • Image Gallery
Have the Colt Cams 280-288 TF- 2 nitrous/turbo cam.Custom ground for what i like in a cam-225.00 Can. and he ships all over (even Puerto Rico).Jeff spent over 2 hours discussing what i needed.Idles lumpy,can putter all day long at 1500 rpm or let it rip from 3700 rpm and up(cam kicks in).Will see what happens with nitrous this weekend(hopefully) and turbo in around 3 weeks.
Ed
86 Crx DX EW3 block EW2 ported head , Coltcams (nitrous/turbo Stage 2 Triflow )

T-25 with a blowthrough Keihin carb - 13 psi .

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

Jimmy101

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx dx
Will any of these aftermarket camshafts pass a smog tail pipe test???
I was thinking of getting gude carb cam thats good for 3500-7000 rpm.
Would I lose some low end power with this cam?
thanks!

eldo

• Think outside the box horsepower
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86CRX 68Chevelle 69GTO
    • Image Gallery
To pass smog test,i heard any cam with durations less than 224@50 or 270 advertised will pass(also depends on how much overlap there is).The Colt Triphase has a better chance of passing because the intakes are staggered in they're opening and closing.(thats why with the amount of duration my cam has,it only lost torque below 1500 rpm but has way more power from 1500 up to 7500.)
Do more homework and good luck.

Ed
Ed
86 Crx DX EW3 block EW2 ported head , Coltcams (nitrous/turbo Stage 2 Triflow )

T-25 with a blowthrough Keihin carb - 13 psi .

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

d15a3power

OK, I know it's a little late but...
I got convinced to install new cam followers with my new cam last year. The rationale was that the old followers would have worn down and would be out of spec. These were expensive!

Any expert advice?
May thru November only.
Rust never sleeps.

Ruevil

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic CRX (in the works), 1986 Chevy work Van (Big Ugly)
Ok camshafts are a new area for me so I was wondering how much of a difference putting a cam intended for a FI head in a carburated head. This question has to do with the fact that I am looking for a hot cam for my 87 HF and I was looking at the Gude/bullfrog 3131M model cam for the car because I don't want a bad/nasty idle but I still want it to give me some good power. Anyone heard of any cams that will give me a power boost at a lower range? Like 2500-6000?

TheSilent|3lade
"Veni, Vidi, Vici."

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
RE:Colt Cams. This is a reply I got when inquiring for my 87 Integra D16A1.

Thank-you, for contacting us.
Our best street performance grind for this engine runs: 264° .423 Lift
The cost is $321.00 Canadian this includes the tax.
Customer supplies cam cores.
Yes, we do regrind your cams and offer a 5 year warranty.

Any comments from any of the Colt cam users if this would be a good unit to use. I hope to visit them this summer while on vacation for more info. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

Gasoline Fumes

QUOTE (Ruevil @ Mar 6 2004, 06:34 AM)
Ok camshafts are a new area for me so I was wondering how much of a difference putting a cam intended for a FI head in a carburated head. This question has to do with the fact that I am looking for a hot cam for my 87 HF and I was looking at the Gude/bullfrog 3131M model cam for the car because I don't want a bad/nasty idle but I still want it to give me some good power. Anyone heard of any cams that will give me a power boost at a lower range? Like 2500-6000?

TheSilent|3lade
"Veni, Vidi, Vici."

The Si has 12 valves and your HF has 8 main valves and 4 auxiliary valves, the Si cam would not work in your engine. You would have to have your stock cam reground, which would be a waste of money in my opinion. I'd look for an Si head and maybe block too.