K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
384 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Final two parts coming in.

went with a Unit2 oil pan. It’s a OEM steel pan that has baffles welded into it.  Much like the one I was going to run but steel instead of an aluminum K20 so you get more ground clearance and durability.  It’s also half the price.

finally I sent my TB and intake to King Motorsports to get bored and matched.  The Accord cable TB is 60mm and they said they can open it 2.5-3.0 mm and the manifold will be matched to it.  This should help pick up some power throughout the power band.

We have also been talking about installing a 45 degree VTC gear in place of the K24a 25 degree gear.  This also should pick up power across the entire rpm range.

Classes are set on peek HP so lifting the curve will be a huge help.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Was on Vtec Academy tonight and.Brian again mentioned that he is building a kit that will work on the 84-87 CRX and Civics

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

King called and manifold and TB are done.  They were able to open the TB from 60mm to 64mm along with opening the manifold to 64mm.  They found my TPS was not functioning so while it’s in shipping I will work on sourcing a replacement.  For $240 not bad in my eyes for a mod that will deliver extra power across the entire rpm band.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Manifold and TB are back and look great.  Just finished trimming the gasket and bolting it all back on the motor.  Blox TPS is supposed to be hear today so that will have to be calibrated once it’s in the car and connected to the ECU.

Brian mentioned the swap on Vtec Academy again Tuesday.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Step one on the HASport mounts took place today.  We dropped an 86 CRX SI over a K20 with RSX 5 speed trans for mount mock up.  It’s amazing how well it fits comparing it to the 2nd gen CRX.  Our engine bay is taller and thus really helps.  Another thing I noticed was the K series engine and trans is actually narrower than the B16.  My B16 alternator pulley is up against the frame rail on the drivers side and the trans goes under the frame rail on the passenger side.  The K series actually completely fits between the rails allowing it to sit higher.
Key takeaways at this point are.

K20 mounts will not require hood cutting.  Brian was very happy with the motors overall position and not needing to cut bracing or anything on the hood.  Axlwes line up very straight which is great and look to have very similar lengths.

Mounts will be dual height, like many of the other K20/K24, mounts HASPort sells.  This way you can install a K20 or K24, like me.  Plan will be that the K24 will require hood braces to be removed.

Passenger frame rail has a bulge on it where the stock EW trans mount is.  This created an issue with the water pump pulley and giving us the clearance we wanted on both sides.  This may require this to be cut out and a flat plate that HASport would supply welded in.  Also found the TPS on the TB was hitting the bar the goes from the bottom of the hood latch to the lower core support.  We this may not be the case on the K24 have to see still.  Overall it looks like you would not be able to use a stock hood latch with the K swap right now.

Brian is going to build some brackets based on the measurements we took today.  This will take us to the next step of mounting the motor in the car and confirming everything works.  

This where we are so far.  Brian up is good with me sharing and for those following I figured you would want to know.

50845081958_faff93e421_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

50845081943_dd2edc5be2_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

50845081978_06e22d36a6_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Been a little while.  But last night we installed the first prototype mounts. We learned some things and Brian is making a new set based on these findings.  Things seem to be moving along and based on what we I saw last night I think ground clearance will be better than a B16 or B18.

51026334482_1eb73dbd31_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

51023988688_ca26e7b90c_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Some new progress today.  Revised mounts built and some frame mods made to maximize clearance and fit.  Ground clearance is going to be better than the B series motors, both the K20 and K24.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic si. 01 Integra Type R

Thanks for your updates! and this post.. With 86-89 integra knuckles being hard to find, 88-91 crx hubs/bearings will be ok? I saw it was a option but just want to clarify before I order some ( I asked on vtec academy but Brian said it wouldn't work) . Currently restoring my 86 civic si with plans of a k swap. Excited but wow this is going to be a steep learning curve! 

Edited by na-spirit, 16 April 2021 - 03:09 PM.

CSPCRX

If Brian said it won’t work I would believe him.  He is after all Honda Yoda! lol 

we did some work last weekend.  Brian work some more on the mounts this weekend.  We were supposed to get together and work on the swap some more but looks like Brian had something come up.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Mag00n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si K20Z1

Thanks for your updates! and this post.. With 86-89 integra knuckles being hard to find, 88-91 crx hubs/bearings will be ok? I saw it was a option but just want to clarify before I order some ( I asked on vtec academy but Brian said it wouldn't work) . Currently restoring my 86 civic si with plans of a k swap. Excited but wow this is going to be a steep learning curve! 

Brian was indeed incorrect. Rare but it happens. I detail the hub situation in the first post of this thread. Im using the 91 crxi si hubs with my stock knucles. I had to grind about 1mm off the face of the knuckle.

Edited by Mag00n, 18 April 2021 - 10:17 AM.

CSPCRX

Thanks Mag00n!  So for direct bolt on the integra is the only option still.  With mods the, as you pointed out,  there is still an option with some work.

glad to see your on here.  Been watching the videos, car looks great!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Spoke to Brain and he is going to add the swap to the vtec academy every Tuesday night.  So the first hour will be as usual but the second hour will be a live build each week until it’s done!  

this should help move the swap along!  Please tune in guys.  If your on the FB side please share there as well. I do not have FB!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
You're not missing anything on Facebook unless you just enjoy lining the Zucc's pockets.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

CSPCRX

LOL,  never had a need or desire for it.  Don’t feel like I ever missed anything but I have heard that RPR on FB has been fairly active.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
It's active but, frankly, I think it's vastly inferior to rpr proper in most ways... But that's another tangent.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.