D16z6 Writeup....sticky?

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

Poll: is it worthy?

is it worthy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx si, 98 civic dx hb
    • Image Gallery
Here is the install write-up for any d-series 88-95 (96+ will not work i've been told) into 1st gen crx's or 3rd gen civics (I will not cover carb. to fi swap so this is for si's basically). I wrote notes by all of the parts that need to be modified explaining what to do to them. There are also a few other install notes towards the bottom of unexpected snags and there solutions. Thanks to r4adkshn on this board for pioneering this technique and helping me out. Enjoy smile.gif

Parts needed:

86-89 integra
-transmission (four out of five bolts line up on the 88-95 blocks, even the dowels line up. You will have to tap ((12x1.25)) the starter hole that normally goes through the tranny into the block because the hole is not lined up with the one on the block)
-front tranny mount
-clutch
-flywheel
-shift linkage
-Starter (drill out the left mounting hole (when looking at the back of the starter) to accommodate the larger 12x1.25 bolt)
-pressure plate
-intermediate shaft (the two bottom holes will line up with the area on the block which you must tap ((10x1.25)) the top hole will NOT. You can cut and weld it so it does line up. Make sure you align the shaft while the tranny is on the motor so you can get the angle PERFECT.)

-axels
-knuckles and/or hubs
-engine wiring harness (to harvest plugs off of, an 88-2000 mpfi engine harness will also work)
-exhaust manifold ((the angle will be off if you use an 88-95 exh. Mani. You could modify it to work though.)

88-95 civic
-any d-series motor (the d16a6 has the holes for the intermediate shaft already drilled and tapped, for the other motors you will have to drill ((it will tell you what size of drill bit to use on the tap package)) and tap ((10x1.25)) the holes yourself.)

84-87 crx/civic
-front engine mount (you must drag one of the two holes on the right of the mount, also you have to cut the mount in order to weld the mount again to get the far left hole to line up with the one in the block)

-rear tranny mount and bracket (the two bottom holes will bolt on but not the top one)
-bottom radiator hose
-original si harness

94-2001 integra
-upper radiator hose (cut to fit)

snags and solutions:

#1-alternator bracket will hit the master cylinder. Trim the bracket to give it clearance, also factor in the rocking of the motor�.give it room. Don't cut into the slotted adjustment area.

#2- the stock fan wont fit. Get a slim fan.

Wiring:

This is the fun part :insert sarcasm:!!!! What I did was used a donor engine harness for plugs to sensors that aren't found on the si harness. sensors which you will have to add are VSS (search on here for vss info, its a subject all on its own), ELD (get this out of the under hood fuse box of any 88-91 civic,crx. its a small black box with a 3 wire plug going to it), EVAP purge (crx has one but its in the emissions box). you can cut off and tape up the wires that lead into the emissions control box, they are of no use now. I suggest modifying the harness while the new motor is in the car this way you can see which wires need to be extended. after i figured out which plugs i needed to add i ran the wires up to where the 2 main plugs on the engine harness are located, i then bought male and female 9 pin connectors from radio shack to accommodate the new wiring running from the ecu to the engine bay. I modified my wiring harness to complete obd-0 electronic advance mpfi (88-91 crx ). After doing this I used an aftermarket obd-0 to obd-1 conversion harness to run my p28 ecu (I swapped in a d16z6). If you are going to run a obd-0 motor you will not need a conversion harness. !!see wiring link below!!

Installation tips:

- only bolt on the front mount and the rear tranny mount that bolts on to the crossmember while lowering in the motor. After you have the front mount loosely bolted in lower the motor down and support it with a floor jack as well as the hoist. Now bolt the front tranny mount and bolt it up to the chassis loosely. Now the rear and final bracket, after this is on go ahead and tighten all the mounts. The motor will have a forward tilt which is completely normal.

helpful links:
VSS info
My project page
info on swap
wiring help
i found a couple of differences between my wiring and his which i will list
#1 instead of A8 it should be A6 (purge wiring)
#2 the change to A10 is not needed on this conversion (no resonator on 88-91 motors except for the d16a1)
other than those changes everything will work. i had no CEL so i know it will work.

Edited by rextec, 04 July 2011 - 11:59 AM.

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
feedback would be nice. i spent quite a bit of time gathering info and writing this up last night. if you voted not to have it stickied tell me what i should change so i can make it better.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Outstanding write up... your project is going to be crazy!

sdubfid

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Wagovan
Excellent Write-up. This opens up a whole lot of new options. This means the ef guys could probably swap in d16a1s now.

As for wiring and converting carbed to fi. My experience is that you can use stock lines. Grab the wiring from an obd-0 car from the ecu to the engine. Then make your own standalone harness(using only the ecu wiring, do not worry about fan relays etc. Run 4 wires to the fuse box for power then its done. Use stock engine harness for starter/guages. This way leaves the car with less downtime and no need to convert the whole car over to fuel injection components/lines/pickups.

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
i vote sticky this beyotch!!! lol

great wrightup man. im glad someone has gone about doing this. im going to put a 2g zc in my car eventually. probly one from ebay. anyways, now i see how it can be done easily.

shit i might just put a k20a into my car, 1 day biggrin.gif

MORE PICS!!!!!

Sean

Edited by rexsk8er, 17 September 2005 - 02:08 PM.

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
so RPR do you think it sticky worthy?

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Sure.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Good stuff. Much appreciated!
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Sweet! Thanks for taking the time dude!! Nobody ever attempted this swap becuase we used to
always shoot down the idea like 3 years ago..ahahah, we thought it was impossible!

Cool project. Good luck!

j

ps, Turbo, turbo, turbo....did i mention turbo?
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

C8V6C

Wow, lots of custom work tongue.gif Did that save you much more money compare to throwing a b series in there?

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (C8V6C @ Jan 30 2006, 04:59 PM)
Wow, lots of custom work tongue.gif  Did that save you much more money compare to throwing a b series in there?

yeah i managed to get all of the parts for really cheap. i want to throw in a newer d-series tranny eventually and make a custom mount for it.

doitdub

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 Wagovan, 1990 CRX, 1980 Express
QUOTE (rextec @ Mar 15 2006, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (C8V6C @ Jan 30 2006, 04:59 PM)
Wow, lots of custom work tongue.gif  Did that save you much more money compare to throwing a b series in there?

yeah i managed to get all of the parts for really cheap. i want to throw in a newer d-series tranny eventually and make a custom mount for it.

Great write up. I hope to attempt this feat on my 87 Wagovan eventually and this is some very helpful information! Thanks!

stealthy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 94 GSR 4dr
you are saving my ass bro, thanks! now i just need to gather the balls to attempt this :s

Hatch-E

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 92 Civic Si, 84 Civic DX
I'm curious as if the NRG engine dampner will help so engine movement issues with this setup. I might have to be the guinny pig for this test.

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
I bumped the VSS page since none of the pics work unfortunatly.

86 crx