When/how Did You Get Turned On To Hondas?

• You cannot reply to this topic
60 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I got turned on to Hondas by my wife. Shortly after we got married in 1986 she started bugging me for an Accord so I bought her one. It was a nice car and my consciousness was raised. A few years later I decieded to get back into the car hobby. GRM ran a banner headline "Go Fast Cheaply!" and praised the 1st Gen CRX Si for autocross. The rest is history for me.

Back in the day, (way back in the day) "You met the nicest people on a Honda" which mean that you did not need a black leather jacket and a few facial scars to be seen riding a Honda 90 around the neighborhood. Honda made cute little scooter-type bikes but nobody took ANYTHING made in Japan seriously. Well except cameras and transitor radios. But come on, who would buy a Japanese car?

In the late 60's Datsun came out with the 510 and the 240Z. Ok, we could possibly consider one of them 'cause BRE was kicking butt in SCCA. But Honda was selling tiny little joke cars (the 600) and real sport sedans came from BMW and FIAT. The VW Rabbit and Scirrocco were introduced in the late 70's and I was blinded to everthing else. I bought a 83' Rabbit and drove it for 3 or 4 years.

As the 70's passed, Honda introduced the Civc (slightly less of a joke) and made them run without a catalytic converter (CVCC). In the late 70's, a guy I knew put a turbo on a 1300cc Civic and burned up the local streets. But I was still a VW guy.

But I do remember being impressed with the styling of the 1st Gen CRX and I saw it as a lighter alternative to the bulbous 2nd gen Scirrocco. At the same time, VW's quality control tanked and I lost the VW feeling forever.

But the mid-80's I was settled down into married life and I did not have time to fool with cars. But as I settled into married life and middle age loomed on the horizon, I needed an outlet. I checked into GTIs and Scirroccos, but the CRX and Honda's engineering were too much to overcome. It took a while, but I found a suitably used '87 Si sitting on a suburban driveway; calling out for my love.

That was about 6 years and many dollars ago. I still thank my wife for turning me on to Hondas.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My mom had a 1981 Honda civic that I learned to drive, and I may have taken it out a couple times without her knowing.
I learned the clutch/gas thing by backing the car up in the morning before my mom would drop me off a school.
My first car was a 1982 red civic Hatch and I have never bought anything else but Hondas - well My wife has a Protege5 but it needs to get traded in on a Honda soon.

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
Ive been a VW as well. Since the late 80's I have owned 4. 3 modded rabbits and now a 96 Jetta. This will be the last VW for me, sick of the little problems that creep up on you. Nothing major, they are reliable as anything out there, but wiring is not their specialty! I would prefer an 84 GTI to my 96 Jetta for wiring thats for sure.
I got turned on to Honda's when the word got out about the 99/00 Civic Si® coming to North America.
I had to have one and finally got one about a year after they came out. We unfortunatly sold it due to a pregnancy. (You know, 2 doors and childs seat-doesn't work very well)

Bought the Jetta and a crx for me!
twitter: @lylehatton

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
about 95-96 my freshman year. i liked the look of all the crx's. at first i "knew" i wanted a 2g si. however my first was an 87 dx. i too was once young and thought it was cool to have odd colored marker lights, clear tail lights, and a loud bumble bee exhaust. after owning(wrecking) a few more 1g crx's i declared that i liked the 84-87 more than the 2g because all the other kids had the newer bodystyle. also for the 1g simplicity. while stationed in the kuwaiti desert in 2004, i often searched for information on the resource. then i was directed here by a wonderful person. i wish i knew who it was......hand me a tissue.

laugh.gif

scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
my friends older brother had a 88-91 Hatch Si, it was white, he use to take me around in it, i loved that car, it felt fast, and it had the sunroof and was tinted, it was just a kick ass car to me, i was probly 9-10, ive liked them ever since, he also showed me and looked alot at turbo kits and motor swaps and shit, i also rember him talking about a ZC, he wrecked it after that, but hes got a black Ef Si now

i got into crx's after seeing them on the streets and seeing how kool they looked
Posted Image

NiMi1718

my dad has worked at honda since i was born so naturally it my car of choice of never owned another car,my first car was a 92 accord ex i loved that car so comfortable and now i own my 85 crx si love it to only wish i had a newer prelude. if i had the dough.
user posted image
SportInjectedClub
user posted image

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
It's funny. I never really liked regular cars all that much. I always had pickups and SUVs my whole driving life. Well, my last car was an Isuzu Trooper, and I always had the itch to modify cars and add performance parts. Well, the Trooper was downright impossible to find aftermarket parts for. Even after trips to Japan, I was unable to find anything for less than a small fortune. I was never turned on to the Honda tuner craze really until I figured that they are at least good reliable cars that can be bought second hand cheaply, and there are just loads of parts available. Well, the Trooper was rusting out and just blew a head gasket, one guy was selling an 1987 CRX DX at work for $1000 in good shape with little rust, I jumped onto it, and the rest is history.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

cahender

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX-SI
By 1986 I was pulling frames and repairing smashed brand new CRX's at the dealership in Santa Barbara, CA. Sweet little college babes would destroy them and I would say,"What the hell is the matter with these people?"....Then came those post-repair test drives, been hooked ever since...would'nt be without a Honda!

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
A friend of mine's neighbor had this 86 hatch in pretty good shape jus sitting there. It needed love, but my heart is full of love anyway. I payed almost nothing for it and I needed a car, so it was meant to be!
--zak--
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

ELITEX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX si
My sisters best friends boyfriend had a 90-93 Accord that was lowered and stuff like that....I was in like 2nd grade at that time and every since then I have always wanted a honda.....Then there was the CRX and I loved them.....I wanted a 2nd gen but I had to settle with the 1st gen so I bought my 87si and have been in love with it since....

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My love began when I was about 13 or 14 when my bro had a red '86 Si that was an awesome car. When I was a freshman in high school, I began seeing EF hatchbacks in magazines and at shows and wanted to buy one of these. After my 16th b-day party I saved up enough money and began looking locally for an EF. I couldn't find any of these in good shape and happened to stumble upon my '86 hatchback that I now own...I bought it and fell in love with the EA-T's ever since. biggrin.gif

DSMTimeline.jpg

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i diddnt like honda because of all the kids thinking they are so fast in their civics. i always smoked them anytime i could in my grand am. my friend had an 86 crx dx and he died so i bought it from his wife because it was cheap. i found rpr and now ive got half the stuff for my b18 swap.

wow, after reading a post or two above i remember my real first honda love. i had to have a 90-93 accord slammed and kitted. i still have my dream accord on my wall at my moms house.

Edited by Ghost-One, 28 January 2005 - 08:37 PM.

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

skrzastek

simple, my dad has always had sports cars around when i was growing up, and when I was 4 (already car crazy) my uncle bought a '85 CRX Si new, and took me for the most amazing ride. I can remember the whole thing to this day. Now I own that car.

Si-ONARA

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Black 85 CRX Si original owner,92 Civic Hatch Type R swap, 98 Civic Hatch
I bought my first Honda in September 1985. A brand new CRX Si. My friend was nice enough to total my old Subaru with his Jeep CJ7 so i needed a new car. I convinced my Mother it was better to get a new car rather than used. It was only $9,100 out the door. I worked in factories for 4 years to pay it off.
I remember the first time I laid eyes on the Black CRX. It was through the dealership window and I thought wow I wish I had bought that car, it looks killer. I had ordered the car site unseen and was sold on it from Car and Drive reviews. I had never seen one in the flesh much less driven one. I remember everthing about that day, but I would not have believed that I would still have it 20 years later.
The things we have seen together. The trips, races, tickets, near misses, not so near misses and all the friends that I have made with the car. All I can say is besides my wife this 85 CRX Si is the best fucking thing that has happened to me. If I can figure it out I'm taking it with me when I'm die.

2007%20Wolf%20Ridge%20CRX%203%20med_zpsu

1986civicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: CRX w/d16 - HP CRX- 73 & 86 si projects
    Garage View Garage
Needed economy car for college so sold my jeep for a 77 civic 5-speed. Installed an airdam and wide tires, everybody thought I was crazy. Since then I have owned 3 Civic Si's, 1 Prelude, 2 CRX's and 2 Integra's.