39 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Do a coolant system flush.

Generally speaking, a bad water pump will annouce itself by making a sound like a couple of rocks in an empty coffee can. A bad head gasket would produce smoke (steam) out the tailpipe.

What do your plugs look like? A lean mixture can make an engine run hot. Your plugs should be a medium brown color, light colored plugs mean you are running too lean.

Is your cam and ignition timing correct? I ask this question a lot because it causes the most problems.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 honda crx si CONVERTIBLE by R. Stramman
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Sep 25 2006, 08:46 AM)
Do a coolant system flush.

Generally speaking, a bad water pump will annouce itself by making a sound like a couple of rocks in an empty coffee can. A bad head gasket would produce smoke (steam) out the tailpipe.

What do your plugs look like? A lean mixture can make an engine run hot. Your plugs should be a medium brown color, light colored plugs mean you are running too lean.

Is your cam and ignition timing correct? I ask this question a lot because it causes the most problems.

Scott

i had a coolant system flush done at sears auto, it didnt really help that much i dont think.

i dont think i've heard noises about the bad water pump, nor do i think i have seen steam come out of the tailpipe, but i havent looked for steam really

i know i'm running the pg7 ecu from the integra, will that make my mixture too lean?

i have a new timing belt, the engine has been rebuilt in the past year. i dont know if the cam and ignition timing are correct but i'm guessing they are.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/434210 - thats my ride, 1985 honda crx si convertible by R. Stramman.

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage
Change the ECU to a stock Si ECU, there are members here that did the integra ECU swap, and got the same, hot results.
Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

1st gen boy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si ( SCCA ITB) 88 CRX Si (SCCA GTL)
QUOTE (wyclefcupcake @ Sep 25 2006, 08:09 AM)
so what should be the things i try to fix?

i was thinking since my engine gets so roasting hot that maybe i have a hole in my exhaust manifold (header?) so i'd check there first.

i guess i could just buy a new water pump, they are only like $30 bucks.

if that doesnt work, then what do i have to do? get a new head gasket or something?  how much is a new head gasket kit for the EW4 (the 85 crx si) motor?

Your stock radiator is probably plugged up. We run a dry sump 221 hp d16 on the GT race car and we have a stock radiator in it and still have to tape part of it off even when it is 90 plus degrees out.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Xipher @ Sep 25 2006, 08:50 AM)
Change the ECU to a stock Si ECU, there are members here that did the integra ECU swap, and got the same, hot results.

Definately go back to the stock ECU.

With all the work you have done, the only thing left is to replace the radiator. Don't spend a lot on a radiator, stock is fine.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Sep 25 2006, 11:39 AM)
Definately go back to the stock ECU.

With all the work you have done, the only thing left is to replace the radiator. Don't spend a lot on a radiator, stock is fine.

Scott

another problem: the radiator i have is new and only 1 yr old.
i changed the radiator bcs the engine was getting so nasty hot.

it helped a little bit, but the engine is just way too warm still.
when i'm going 75 mph and i have the heat on at full blast
and the engine is still hot even when my thermostat is
wide open bcs we cut it out, there is something wrong.

i dont care about spending a lot on the radiator, as i'd like to get the b16a
swap sometime soon. so, if i could just get the best radiator that i could use
now and then for that swap as well, then sweet! like i dont want to spend too much on a radiator but $100 to $200 range wouldnt be too bad.

oh and i cant find my stock SI ecu sad.gif
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/434210 - thats my ride, 1985 honda crx si convertible by R. Stramman.

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery
LOL
Keep the Integra ECU in just turn up the fuel pressure. Integra ECU's run very lean in the lower RPM's and could be causing your motor to run hot. I'm running about 40-42 psi. purrrrrrs like a kitten and hauls assss.

OVNi_CIVIC

• fear me...fear the self...
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 Wagon AWD, 86 CRX, 01 EM2, 04 ES1, 93 civic hatch
    • Image Gallery
depending on who took care of the vehical and if they put tap water into the cooling system, the tap water could be high in minerals and that stuff builds up alot in the cooling pasages around the cylinders, when i replaced the 2 exhaust valves in my wagon when i first got it, once we pulled the head off i had to use a flathead screwdriver and scrape that crap outa there....DONT USE TAP WATER IF YOU CAN HELP IT, use DISTILLED water!!!

"Tie two birds together, even though they have four wings they cannot fly"---Circle of Iron
MySpace.......... www.myspace.com/kored

Wagovan-Clan Member

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
How does your oil look?
If its brown (milkshake), then its time to pull the head and buy a headgasket.
Hopefully this isnt the issue.

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (ballade @ Sep 25 2006, 10:12 AM)
LOL
Keep the Integra ECU in just turn up the fuel pressure. Integra ECU's run very lean in the lower RPM's and could be causing your motor to run hot. I'm running about 40-42 psi. purrrrrrs like a kitten and hauls assss.

Ballade,
My experience with the 'teg ECU is that it will make your car run RICH and that you will need to REDUCE your fuel pressure. I would be curious to see what your air/fuel ratio guage is telling you.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

CSPCRX

Since I have a B16 and live in PHX az, regularly 110, it have heat problems especially when at low speeds, bumper to bumper or sitting. That being said I think a lot of it is becuase I run the full length SI radiator. The header sits right up against it and heats it up. I have found a company that would make an HF dual row radiator out of aluminum like the one pictured but it would cost $550.00. Thats to much for me. I also found a stock HF style that was dual row but non of the aftermarket radiator shops seem to carry it anymore. Im going to try the HF stock single row and see if that helps since it will be away from the header. Im also going to fab up a bit of a scoop to force the air from the left side of the car to have to go through the radiator as well. Every little bit should help.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

BBQGURU

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx si ... 04 Lancer sportback mivec
    • Image Gallery
I have a full witdth koyo alumn radiator in my 85 si. Do not get a full width rad. because it will sit too close to the headers, and is a bi**h to cram in there.... especialy if you have aftermarket headers. although it will cool great if you wrap the headers or get a serious heat shield. and forget a turbo zero room. the half size alumn. rad is perfect. by the way my full size koyo will be for sale or trade soon huh.gif .. Pm for pics

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
I bought an HF rad off ebay. It appears to be single row. sad.gif

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
I bought one of the all aluminum 'Del Sol' dual core radiators off ebay. It was really cheap, like $100 or so. It almost works too good. I don't have any problems with running hot, and this is on a 12:1 full race type motor. I also used a Del Sol / 92-95 Civic style fan and shroud. The fan shroud had to be modified a little to fit, and the upper core support had to be cut to allow access to the radiator cap. Here's a few pics:

so someone used a del sol radiator, that looks pretty good.

where can you get a dual row HF radiator from? any links?

i have flushed the coolant in the car,
even bought the prestone coolant cleaner

also bought a new radiator cap bcs my old one didnt look too great.

and still, if i let the car sit for even a little bit it HEATS UP like crazy.
even with both of the fans on in the front of the car, and no a/c on.

i just want to get the best half radiator possible, w/o having to do too much
fabrication.

anyone have any ideas?
thanks

Edited by wyclefcupcake, 28 September 2006 - 01:06 PM.

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
also what about all of those radiators i see on ebay for the 88+ crx? would those fit?

anyone have any info on this? thanks!