Catalytic Converter Options.glasspack,highflow,?

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

oldschoolhondacivic

• R.I.P. Oct.27,2007...its not fair
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic dx
i need to install a catalytic converter on my car before inspection next month.. i dont wanna put some useless crap on there, but i dont wanna put a glasspack on and be loud as hell<if it wasnt loud, just a rumble, i would though>...anyone gotten creative?...
money pit

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
I put a dynomax on mine, was like $60 from Jegs I think. Sounds great!
Its a bit louder than an OEM cat, but not a whole lot. I bought an oval style, 2.5" inlet, 2.25"outlet.

oldschoolhondacivic

• R.I.P. Oct.27,2007...its not fair
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic dx
thanks , i just looked in to those and am seriously thinking of going ahead with it.i have spent over 400 dollars on this damn exhaust, and i still have no cat on there<i got raped by a mineke>most recently, i had my fartpipe removed and replaced with a flowmaster hushpower mounted in the stock position.ilove the quietness, and the tone when i get on it.i just dont wanna fine or anything. i know im gonna fail as it is due to my leak at the header.i can fake out my egr valves and stuff by running misc vac lines to odd places.but anyways...i had no clue that the safety inspection inc. the cat inspection.
money pit

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
I bought a full custom clean and 2 inch for 6 bucks a muffler for 20 and cat forr 10. Trying to saw and clamp everything together when I get home... Shouldnt be bad and its 2 inch all the way back. for less tgab 50 bucks... Dont get Raped.... Get smart...

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
For the best quality go with Magnaflow parts.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Agreed, I have had no issues with Carsound (Magnaflow) cats.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (rpr @ Oct 26 2007, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed, I have had no issues with Carsound (Magnaflow) cats.

Ok, so what is the stock inlet dimensions? Do I need reducers and expansion links to use this cat? Could I just use a replacement from an 88-91 civic and get a flange to weld to the stock pipe?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
I had my local Midas just make me a flange pipe. They matched the flange to my DC header and just welded a 10" pipe to it. I cut it to fit and clamped it into place on my cat. Then I just clamped it on to fit with the rest of my exhaust.
The flange pipe cost me $10.

My header was 2.5" outlet and my exhaust piping was 2.25"
If you can just buy the proper inlet/outlet size to fit your setup.

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
i also run the magnaflow cat,, got it brand new for like 25 on ebay.... just measure the pipe with a ruler to match up the diameter. if you cant eyball it with a standard ruler, and you dont have one of those nifty carpentry rulers with the sliders n stuff (im too stupid to know what they're called, i just went to home depot and bought one) you could also wrap a piece of string around it, to measure the cricumfrence, then divide that by 3.14 then the square root of that number times 2 is the diameter.... yay math class
grimms mom

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (icebox187 @ Feb 15 2008, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i also run the magnaflow cat,, got it brand new for like 25 on ebay.... just measure the pipe with a ruler to match up the diameter. if you cant eyball it with a standard ruler, and you dont have one of those nifty carpentry rulers with the sliders n stuff (im too stupid to know what they're called, i just went to home depot and bought one) you could also wrap a piece of string around it, to measure the cricumfrence, then divide that by 3.14 then the square root of that number times 2 is the diameter.... yay math class

Math sux. No math allowed here, that belongs in TECHNICAL. But its a dial caliper. Cool. I am needing to get a cat to pass inspection (as well as muffler)
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have the magnaflow DIRECT REPLACEMENT (OEM bolt on) for $90 shipped.. beautiful piece and fits great. It is a high flow unit as well..

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
+1 on the Magnowflow Cat. Used the High flow direct bolt on when I redid my son's exhaust.

-1 for the Dad's installation as he just lost one of the spring bolts laugh.gif
Posted Image