Dx Is Worse!

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

Mark Petriw

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX
I also get that problem sometimes that I can't get beyond 3000 rpm what the engine starts acting funny like I described earlier. I don't think it's head gasket though because the problem goes away I have won autorosses in this car. I've even had it happen right after runs when I stop in the stop box. The milky stuff is not always coolant. The head gasket might be fine. Sometimes if the oil cap doesn't seal well or the engine has sat for a longt ime moisture can get in and mix with the oil causing the milkiness. It happen alot to VW fox's but not so much to CRX's.

I totally know what you mean about the rpm not wanting to go past 3000 though. It feels like something is holding you back and the engine starts to stutter. I'd try a new oil cap and coil wire from the coil tot he distributor. Lordco sell we for super cheap. Also have a look at your spark plugs. It's they're milky then I'd worry about the head gasket.
user posted image
It's not how fast you drive, but how you drive fast.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yup. Read the service manual section on it very closely, and you should be able to do it, assuming you have some mechanical ability.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
It's pretty hardcore if you've never worked on a car before. Read this chapter, and
you'll see that there is more involved than just draining fluids and pulling it off.
There are alot of variables involved, and without experience it might be a waste
of time and money. What if you change the gasket, do the timing, everything is
fine, you fire it up and the same problem exists because you have a warped head?
Yep, back to the drawing board. Are you burning oil? Maybe the piston rings need
replacement....When you do a big job like this, it's a good idea to just tackle the
whole thing, so that when you do put it back together, you have a brandspankin
new engine. IMO.

I stress this, because I know you're pressed for time since it's your daily driver.
Plus besides being faced with the headgasket issue, expect the worst, because
there is always two or three more things that will go wrong and extend the
project.

Here is the Chapter 6 - Cylinder Head/Valve Train LINKY

JAKOB blink.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

n1smo

• Post-Whore of RPR
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1st Gen. 1987 CRX DX
well how much does a rebuild cost???

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Hard to say. Depends on what needs to be done. I would shoot for $1000. But
I'd call around. I'm not sure what the hourly rate is in the US, here it's usually
around $50-60/hr CAD.

When I first bought my 87 in 1996, I bought it from a dealer who offered me a
6 month drivetrain warranty on the car for a hundred bucks. A week later the rex
was bleeding bad from the oil pan, and had a really shitty 1st and 2nd gear. I
ended up using the warranty and sucked it dry. The car was in the shop for 2
weeks getting a new oilpan and gasket put on, as well as a rebuilt tranny, all
new gaskets, clutch, etc. The bill came to $1700CAD!!! I didn't have to pay a
penny, but still, it would have been a pure raping of the wallet.

It might be a good idea to call around your area, see how much it would cost for
a rebuid and base your decision on that. If it exceeds your budget, you might be
better off either taking public transit to work or buying another spotless Cali CRX
and using your Dx as a parts car.

JAKOB blink.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
well if water got inthe cylinders i think you need new rings if oil is leaking into your cylinders you can throw a new head gasket on... have you ever replaced a head gasket before... was the water in your oil... too bad you live so far i could totally help you

n1smo

• Post-Whore of RPR
  • PipPip
well ghost your the closest and i need help

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
i can only help you onthe weekend sand i am not availble for a month man if you still need help ill come out after then

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
what does the bottom of the dipstick look like?i.e. color?
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

n1smo

• Post-Whore of RPR
  • PipPip
dipstick looks normal

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
this might be off in left field but have you looked at the catalytic converter(assuming there is one wink.gif ?
i have seen similar problems to what you describe with the cat clogged up and in need of replacement. this would be a last resort if you have not done compression/leak down checks yet.
good luck

n1smo

• Post-Whore of RPR
  • PipPip
yeah i remeber that nw your right but i had 2 people look at it and said its probley the head gasket and tapping sound sounds like something that has to do with valves that you guys mentioned ealier not bent though

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
well if the bottom of your dipstick is normal color it might not be a head gasket. You better do a compression test before you start tinkering with anything though.
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

wside2nr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88" CRX "Si R" Dx !,85'CRX DX,86CRX DX,87 CRX Si,95 CR250R!
hey before you go gutting the engine pull out the dipstick! does the oil look like whipped chocolate??
no?
pull the plugs is any of them really clean??
no?
check your coolant level is it clean and full??
no?
check the fuel pressure it may be a fuel pump weak no pressure.
the compression check is a great start also
how did the car run last time you drove it?
very hot!
no?
if you dont know about tearing down a top end DONT do it on your own without a friend in "THE KNOW" but I have seen strange things that point to obvious problems but obvious dont fix it.
is your exhaust flowing freely??
clogged cat converter will make it run poorly.
I have seen a sluggish run no power hard to start slow revving and know the timing was off or jumped, the converter was clogged or fuel system problems.BUT NO! it was the choke butterfly was stuck shut!! it took a few minutes to figure that one out.
so go through the trouble shooting process before you start to pass out money to a mech. or start tearing down an engine over something simple.
I saw a guy try to sell a head job to an unknowing honda driver he knew it was a burnt valve on a stock DX at 100,000, you would stand a better chance at seeing a muslim eat a pork chop!
It was a plug wire burnt through! $17.00 fix 10 minutes. saved him a bundle but the mech knew that it was a burnt valve(right) he would have pulled the head and replaced it only to find the same problem when he was done!

I know what I am talking about I am an ASE certified tech and shop owner and A/P X marine CH53E super stallion mech!
I know my stuff! wink.gif
Whatz Burnin' Yo?? ;-)

wside2nr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88" CRX "Si R" Dx !,85'CRX DX,86CRX DX,87 CRX Si,95 CR250R!
come to think of it I saw this fine black girl trying to sell a guy a head job on the west side, but I think he bought it! laugh.gif

just kidding...................................it was FREE!!! ohmy.gif
Whatz Burnin' Yo?? ;-)