Hydralic Clutch Master/slave?

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 1500 dx hatch 5 speed - 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed - 2006 Subaru Forester

My other car is a 2008 Honda Fit 5MT... Saturday I was driving and went to downshift to 4th... When I pulled out of 5th gear, the clutch didn't work.  I pulled it out of gear, but could feel that the clutch didn't disengage.  It wouldn't go in any gear then.  so I coasted to the shoulder and tried when stopped still nothing.  I turned the car off and could then put the car in gear.  I started the car with 1st engaged and drove 15mph home which fortunately is pretty close by where this happened.  Anyway, I'm think master or slave on the clutch.  Any other ideas?

Thanks

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16

More than likely one of the two.  Everytime I have had a slave cylinder fail (94 prelude) the clutch sits on the floor as soon as the fail occurs.  This is just my experience, not sure if this is proper for diagnosis.

Good luck tracking it down,

Joseph

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

I would have someone step on the clutch while you can watch the slave cylinder engage, that is if you clutch pedal is still up. If it works then plan on tearing it apart. I worked on a friends car awhile ago and based on what she said I thought it was one of the 2 as well but she said it ended up being the pressure plate after she took it to the shop. I guess the last time she had a clutch done in it they just replaced the disc.

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 1500 dx hatch 5 speed - 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed - 2006 Subaru Forester

Well, I bought a slave and master... That is the cheapest and easiest way forwar... I'll try to post the results for posterity... I like working on cars but not being forced to work on them and that's what this is as it's my DD. :(

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip

Anyone a Honda Tech?

I replaced the master/slave and nothing...

I have a clutch kit that I haven't finished putting on, but doesn't seem to be any different than the one I took off.  Pressure plate looks good... everything appears to be OK.  Any other ideas? :(

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Did you have someone else in the driver's seat pushing the clutch while you watched it engage? If it's engaging and traveling the full distance your going to have to dig into it. if it's not engaging it probably has air in the line and needs to be bleed good, or it's the slave cylinder, or its that someone replaced the hydraulic hose that goes to the slave cylinder with fuel line. Fuel line is not meant for that kinda pressure and the hose will swell before it pushes the slave cylinder. Since it sounds like you have a clutch kit and you have it apart? if so I would go ahead and replace it cause it's a pain to tear apart and make sure you resurface your flywheel while your at it and replace the rear main seal. You can flip the old rear main seal around and use it to drive in your new one. After that you should be good for another 80-120K.