Gopro Tech/info. Official How To Thread?

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
Aight. So I can stop jacking threads with questions bout the new camera the wifey bought me. She got the GoPro Silver 3+. Not 4x, which is where everything is headed I'm sure, but good quality video nonetheless. Silver didn't come with the memory card or remote so the Black version was probably worth another $100.... Wife picked it so no need to hurt any feelings.

Several have eluded to settings that work well or are preferred, so I'm curious which to use. There is a setting on the camera (spot meter) specifically for filming from a dark area to a light area (from inside car to well lit track) so I'm curious if it works well or if it makes a difference. Preferred editing software?

Favored filming locations? I like the in-car but have seen some rooftop and car side video that was cool too. I can't film car side for obvious reasons. I'm gonna do some near-helmet filming to get a better look at my gauges but think it would be interesting footage to mount it near the rear of the cabin. I think mounting high and as far back as possible would give a better perspective of the vehicle yaw and "door to door" situations.

All pointers, recommendations, or "don't do this" are appreciated.

Thank you!

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
No pointers? Swing and a miss...

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery

Both shot with a cheapo freebie camera I got from my credit card company.

GoPro cameras are great and they are often used by real pros. But these days you can buy a decent digital camera for ~$100. 

The secret of good photography... use a tripod. No excuse for not using a tripod. Even a cheap tripod (~$40) is better than no tripod.

The Autocross video was cut by my my wife, the professional editor, with Avid. http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I cut the second video with the free software that comes with Windows.

There are five basic shots in making any kind of moving picture. Wide, Medium, Tight, High/Low Angle, Pan/Zoom.

Let action in the frame motivate a camera move.

Shoot faces, not asses.

Do not cross the line.

Fill the frame with the subject.

The camera does not "take" the picture. The photographer "makes" a picture with a camera. 

All photography is capturing light.

Be the editor's friend, shoot transitions.

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
For $299 I hope its better than that... Sounds horrifying