Vtec And Turbo

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

1stgenrex00

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Pontiac Sunbird, 1985 Honda CRX
I have a D16a6 turbo and want to swap in a D16y8 head as well but it would raise compression up to 10:1, reducing the amount of boost I can run. I understand you need to have a way to activate vtec and there's a lot of ways and computers to do it so that's not a big deal but does anyone have suggestions on what RPMS to have it activated at. Vtec is worth more in higher RPMS correct? Or no? If that's the case I'm thinking turbo spool at 3 or 3 1/2 grand and vtec at 4 or 5? Any thoughts? Thanks

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
id proably set it to whatever honda sets it to, untill you can get to a Dyno, then tune it till you dont see a jump in the graph.
Posted Image

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
it depends on the lobes lift + duration, my b16 kicks in right at 5k. but i cant say that's what you need it at because you are running sohc with a y8 head.... i would say that honda oem setting is probably optimum without an aftermarket cam
grimms mom

1stgenrex00

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 91 Pontiac Sunbird, 1985 Honda CRX
QUOTE (icebox187 @ Apr 27 2007, 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it depends on the lobes lift + duration, my b16 kicks in right at 5k. but i cant say that's what you need it at because you are running sohc with a y8 head.... i would say that honda oem setting is probably optimum without an aftermarket cam

Yeah our town has a carshow every summer and theres usually a dyno there so I'll just give it a run on that, thanks for the input.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
NP, the idea is to make the high-cam switch as un-noticable as possible, you want to switch to high, just as the low-cam is dying off.
Posted Image

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
I would have gone with a Z6 head but thats just me... Or hell the whole Z6 engine itself.

Keep the VTEC set where it is. If your going with an aftermarket cam that requires it, then do so. Messing with the stock vtec settings will not help you if your running the stock motor.

86 crx