cbstdscott's Content

There have been 10 items by cbstdscott (Search limited from 29-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#580139 Modeling The 1G Crx Suspension As A Guide To Performance Upgrades

Posted by cbstdscott on 29 August 2020 - 11:29 AM in 1G CRX

I have found a lot of new rotation in the chassis by removing the internal rear sway bar that is inside the rear axle.

Removing the internal sway bar created a lot of over steer which I controlled with more front roll stiffness. I have set up my car to be "neutral," with no propensity to under or over steer unless I ask for it with steering wheel and throttle input.

#579944 Free! B20B Short Block Available In So Cal. Free!

Posted by cbstdscott on 18 February 2020 - 01:38 PM in General Posts

Taken. Ace E Williams for the win.

I have a buddy in So Cal who needs to give away a B20B short block FOR FREE. Just come and get it in the last week of March.

First come, first served.

#579942 Now Where Did I Leave Off?

Posted by cbstdscott on 15 February 2020 - 01:33 PM in 1G CRX

"Ill gladly take the weight penalty if it keeps the middle pedal up off the floor."

That is not a function of the drums, you were over-taxing the braking system's ability to eliminate heat. Brakes work by turning kinetic energy into heat. The trick is being able to vent the heat away as quickly as possible so that your brakes can do their job. If you heat soak your brakes they do not stop the car so much. Brake cooling, primarily in the front, and better fluid would solve that problem.

Under braking, particularly hard braking, the rear brakes are barely involved in the process. If you car only has 40% of its weight over the rear wheels at rest, weight transfer under braking lowers that amount to a much lower percentage. Your front brakes are the ones carrying the load, get the fluid hot and your get a lower middle pedal.

#579862 Now Where Did I Leave Off?

Posted by cbstdscott on 25 January 2020 - 01:38 PM in 1G CRX

i have never had much luck getting the parking brake cable out of them, even with the special tool that still doesn’t seem to work.

The "special tool" was the box end of an 8mm wrench. Works fine.

#579860 Now Where Did I Leave Off?

Posted by cbstdscott on 25 January 2020 - 10:18 AM in 1G CRX

The 1988 and later Civic backing plates will accept the aluminum drums. That is what I am using on my '87 Si.

#579856 Now Where Did I Leave Off?

Posted by cbstdscott on 24 January 2020 - 06:24 PM in 1G CRX

You have to include the weight of the caliper and the bracket to hold it for the rear discs. Let's assume at least one pound (but realistically it would be maybe closer to three pounds or more), it become apparent that the aluminum drums are the lightest choice.

For a car that has 60% of its weight over the front wheels at rest and far less under braking, you can see why the aluminum drums works so well.

#579849 Now Where Did I Leave Off?

Posted by cbstdscott on 23 January 2020 - 09:46 PM in 1G CRX

Good question. It would require someone with nothing better to do and all the right bits to get the exact numbers.

#579846 Now Where Did I Leave Off?

Posted by cbstdscott on 23 January 2020 - 08:55 PM in 1G CRX

The aluminum drums are lighter than the iron drums. The iron drums are lighter than the rear discs. Many years ago somebody tried to prove me wrong and install discs that were lighter than the aluminum drums. He ended up with go-kart brakes. Look it up on this site.

#579839 Now Where Did I Leave Off?

Posted by cbstdscott on 23 January 2020 - 12:38 PM in 1G CRX

Oh yeah, aluminum rear drums.

It is good to be back.

Scott

#579838 It Is Good To Be...

Posted by cbstdscott on 23 January 2020 - 12:36 PM in West Coast

...back.

It is WAY too early to discuss things like the 2020 Weenie Roast or the 2020 JCCS, those are events that will happen in the second half of the year.

But it is never too early to discuss track days and Autocross in the Southern California area. My favorite Autocross organizer, Speedventures, is not holding a So Cal event until early May but now is a good time to start getting the beater ready. Details at the following link.

https://www.speedven...ail.aspx?id=788

Scott