Left Alone At Harbor Freight For 3 Hours With My Credit Card...

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

DarkHand

So I was out shopping with the family and I didn't want to go around to 87 million different stores. Decided to spend the time looking around at Harbor Freight. After all, I needed a few little things, I could pick them up while I waited there.

It took much longer than I thought for them to come back. Three hours later, I walked out with the oil pressure testing gauge and blue threadlock that I went in there for, along with a new pair of noise blocking earmuffs, a pair of mig pliers, a new spring loaded center punch, some butt welding sheet metal clamps, snap ring pliers, a seal driver set, a leakdown testing kit, mechanics stethoscope, an angle die grinder, an air powered cutoff wheel, replacement cutoff wheels, an air hose reel and 50 feet of hose, an inline desiccant air dryer, 2 air hose leads, a new welding cart, a tabletop sandblasting cabinet, a 40 pound pressurized sandblaster, and a 12-ton shop press. And just that morning, I had bought a portable welding table and a machinists straightedge online.

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

DO NOT GET STUCK AT HARBOR FREIGHT WITH A CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD!!! laugh.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 04 March 2008 - 12:06 PM.

DarkHand

85supersleeper

• am i still in the slow lane???
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic sedan
i think its time for me to go to harbor freight.....with my credit AND debit card. tongue.gif

haha great story man. sounds like something i would do.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
I wish they had those around here.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

DarkHand

I think I singlehandedly bumped up the Chinese GDP. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Maine_Honda_Racer @ Mar 4 2008, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish they had those around here.

I was going to say that there probably is one around you, but found that they're strangely missing from your entire area... None at all in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, or Connecticut. Weird!

Even though I usually have good luck with most Harbor Freight stuff, you get what you pay for... I broke off the air inlet on the ridiculously expensive $7 die grinder while I was attaching a hose connector to it.

Edited by DarkHand, 04 March 2008 - 12:57 PM.

DarkHand

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Yeah, I've ordered things from their website. Its always cheap enough that you can replace it five or six times and still have paid less.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

Sgt. Pepper

I was in Harbor Freight yesterday with a gift card and credit card. Got 50' of (Good-Year) rubber air hose, an orbital sander, some 6" sanding discs, compressor oil and air tool oil. It could have been alot worse, but I was focused on what I needed. There was alot of stuff that caught my eye.
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

DarkHand

QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Mar 4 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in Harbor Freight yesterday with a gift card and credit card. Got 50' of (Good-Year) rubber air hose, an orbital sander, some 6" sanding discs, compressor oil and air tool oil. It could have been alot worse, but I was focused on what I needed. There was alot of stuff that caught my eye.

That's how I was for the first hour, but then I started looking at absolutely everything and deciding if it would help me with the Civic and CRX or not... Looking at useful stuff for hours upon hours, while waiting for your ride, with a card in your hand is dangerous. biggrin.gif

I found places to put the little stuff easily enough, but I have no idea where I'm going to put all the big stuff in my one-car garage! It's looking like I'm going to be taking over the basement in addition to the garage now. smile.gif The compressor is already in there, which works out well as it cuts way down on noise and is near to the only 220v outlet in the house. The blasting cabinet is going to have to find a place in the garage somehow, but I suppose the press can go into the basement as well as the pressurized blaster when it's not in use. I put the welding cart together last night and that's saved me some space due to the shelves that are built in, all my welding stuff is there now. But my drill press, chop saw, and engine hoist take up a ton of garage space. I might be able to move the hoist into the basement and free up some garage space for the press, but I'm not sure which way is better yet. I'm going to have to take out the card table I have down there as my 'workbench' and replace it with the portable welding table, to save floor real estate. Eventually I need to pick up or build a small honest to goodness workbench, which I need pretty badly to mount a vise and grinding wheel on. I've also got a standing shelving unit in there housing two transmissions, two heads, various other car parts and lots of tools. Not to mention a cheapo rolling toolbox taking up space, 5 rolls of carpet stacked up along the side wall, oh and a torn down 3G Civic. biggrin.gif

And to think I still need to eventually fit a rotisserie in there! ph34r.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 04 March 2008 - 05:16 PM.

DarkHand

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If my wife is about to leave me in a place like that she takes my wallet. I still end up filling a cart, or two. But, once she sees it I get asked, "Do you REALLY need that?"...... for every little thing, and for items over $100 I get asked multiple times for it. She's not learned to keep the wallet away from me when I'm online though, and the "Did you really need this" is not as intimidating since it is paid for and in the house already. laugh.gif

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

D Jaws II

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX SI D15A3, 89 CRX Si B18A1, 89 Prelude B20A JDM, 91 CRX DX D15B2, 87 CRX HF with a D15A3 (pictured above) New 11/06: 1998 Civic EX JDM B16A to be new track car
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Funny you should mention Harbor Freight....in the same tone as I do. As a matter of fact, I was looking in the Yellow Book the other day, but couldn't find a listing for

Harbor Freight Shoppers Anonymous.

Dang, I hate it when that happens.

BTDT

Nice finds!!

Donnie

"YOU SHOULD NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY"

tjbizzo

• pumice my corns
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Crapmobile
EL... OH... EL... at this thread! I have been there and done that more times than I care to remember. It's amazing how easy it is to put something into the shopping cart, but it is soooo difficult (even painful!) to take it back out and put it back on the shelf. It's like a hypnotic or subliminal suggestion or something. That shopping cart is truly like a one-way buying machine, sort of a Raid Roach Motel for tools. "Tools go in, but they don't come out!" laugh.gif
Posted Image

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
I travel between VA and FL waaaay too often, and there's a huge Harbor Freight right off I-95 in SC, near South of the Border. It's one of their distribution hubs, so the retail store out front has to have all the best "factory fresh" stuff from China. Never stopped...afraid to...

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (pvbcrx @ Mar 6 2008, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I travel between VA and FL waaaay too often, and there's a huge Harbor Freight right off I-95 in SC, near South of the Border. It's one of their distribution hubs, so the retail store out front has to have all the best "factory fresh" stuff from China. Never stopped...afraid to...

I would see it going to and from races at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC.

I finally was going by when they were open, so I stopped there. Pretty much what you see at a normal Harbor Freight, though there are a few closeouts.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

C8V6C

Thats where I get some of my stuff from....always cheap stuff

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

stevo911_

• I'm Canadian, Eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2000 Civc Ltd Edition w B16a swap
i want a harbour freight up here sad.gif
anyone know what their shipping rates are like to canada? tongue.gif

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (stevo911_ @ Mar 7 2008, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i want a harbour freight up here sad.gif
anyone know what their shipping rates are like to canada? tongue.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/

This thread could easily turn into a mini support group... we all share the same problem/addiction
He who dies with the most toys, wins.