My New Crx

• You cannot reply to this topic
106 replies to this topic

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
QUOTE (CRXfanatic @ Mar 27 2007, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Advised changes from Ben Schaeffer of GTR Motorsports

main air jet 170
main jet 145
pump nozzle 35
pilot screw 1.5 turns out

Advised changes from Bisi

main air jet 170
main jet 155

Specs on my Delta 282, Lift 432/432, [email protected] 220/220 biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif Thats a big cam! I'd be interested to see what kind of power it makes, not too familiar with Delta. I have gotten jets from Tom at Wolfcreekracing.com and Bisi, he has a stash of jets at his shop. I also have some jets that you have listed there if you need them, I can mail them to you just Pm me your address. I have the following in my small collection,

170 Main Air
145 Main Jet
140 Main Jet
130 Idle
57.5 Pilot

Julian

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
An update as promised as of Wedensday,

My dyno session with Bisi was very successful, very large gains were noticed. Unfortunatly I don't have the graphs loaded yet, hopefully I will have them ready to post this afternoon.

Julian

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Finally got the graphs uploaded.

First is the comparison from my original dyno of 1-5-07 to the final product of our 3-28-07 session.

I was very pleased with the result. A gain of 10.6 WHP was realized between the two as well as a strong gain in the midrange. The torque curve also saw a very strong gain with a 6.9 WTq gain as well a nice increase in the midrange torque production.

Below is a comparison between two cam gear settings. The blue curve is +2* advance(+4* crank), the green curve is -1* retard(-2* crank).

The comparison of these two graphs is very interesting to me. As you can see with the cam advanced it has picked up nearly the whole curve with the exception of the top end where I saw a difference of 0.7WHP. To me this was very minute compared to the big gains elsewhere. More interesting though is the comparison of the Tq curve. A huge difference was seen with seemingly no loss, I credit this to the cam being out of degree. It must have been ground slightly retarded and as a result of advancing it we are creeping closer to its desired valve events.

The AFR graph was very clean, staying around the 13.0:1 range with the exception of transition.

The end result 107.1 WHP@6,493rpm and 98.3 WTq@5,240rpm. Next will be headwork and lots more compression, whenever someone comes up with a wagon block for me wink.gif

Please input and discussion is welcome,
Julian

Edited by 87MugenProCR-X, 30 March 2007 - 03:46 PM.

604_Crx

• My car is older than i am...
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
are you using my old head at all? or did you go with something else?

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Yes I am using your old head. Trying to put it to some good use.

Julian

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
An update for today,

I've been having traction problems, mainly in 1st gear. Full throttle gives lots of wheel spin, and from take off some wheel hop(currently 195/55/15 Kumho Ecsta SPT). So I decided modifying the mounts would be a good start. My first attempt was with an acrylic sylicon type material applied with a caulk gun. I must have gotten the wrong type of sylicon/window weld because it was very tender. It was about the consistancy of chewed bubble gum, so the idea was scrapped. In its place I decided on peices of timing belt cut to fit. A much more firm material, the pictures are below,

This was done to all three mounts in a similar style. My first impressions, I was worried initially of the added vibration as my car already has more than its fair share, but after installation I feel nearly no difference in the driver seat. No really! I do see a visual difference of the engines actual movement, it looks very still. As for the traction problems, it has helped but not eliminated the problem completely, although it seems to have cleared up the wheel hop portion of it. For the money though, I'm satisfied.

On a side not, my friend's car finally fired yesterday. We have been working on it on and off. A picture of his set up is below.

Julian

Edited by 87MugenProCR-X, 01 April 2007 - 11:03 PM.

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Nice!

So no jet changes at the dyno? Only cam timing?

I wish I lived out there so I could have my car tuned by Bisi.
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Yes a small jet change with the main airs. Other than that yes only cam timing adjustments. BTW your jets will be sent out tomorrow, sorry for the wait.

Julian

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Nice.

I think I need to get mine on a dyno and sort a few things out with cam and ign timing, and some jet changes.

Bisi needs to author a Mikuni Tuning book/guide. I'd buy it. There is so much out there on the Weber DCOEs, but jack squat on the Mikunis...

No prolem. Thanks again!
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

duner

• What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
nice going Julian!

this is a little off of the main coversation taking place but: how did you route the tranny cable under the intake, isnt it too stiff?

other than that it looks like you are coming a long awesome and keep us up to date on that browntop wink.gif
Living the Air Force Dream!

Vouch Thread

savestheday

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 crx HFi, 1993 Integra
Very nice build, with some headwork and compression that is easily capable of 130whp. Good luck with it.
It runs! Carb to Megasquirt EFI.

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Duner, I don't remember it being incredibly difficult to do. I just disconnected it on the tranny side and then ran it underneath the manifold instead of on top.

Savestheday, yes that is what I'd really like to do next. A nice big increase to compression and increase those portflow numbers(maybe one of those Bisimoto headers???) and we should be looking at a huge increase in power. Although I must cure my traction problems before I invest any more money into power production. Currently according to my calculations my CR is somewhere along the lines of 8.6:1.

I will keep you up to date on that brown top, she should be ready to hit the road this weekend as our linkage assembly is coming through this week. He is actually a member on this board.

Julian

Edited by 87MugenProCR-X, 03 April 2007 - 01:19 PM.

shahriar35

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 95 accord lx wagon, CRX 87 DX w/ a D16a1
    Garage View Garage
nice build julian, keep up the good job

1995 Accord LX Wagon
1987 CRX DX with a d16a1 Blacktop

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (87MugenProCR-X @ Apr 2 2007, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An update for today,

I've been having traction problems, mainly in 1st gear. Full throttle gives lots of wheel spin, and from take off some wheel hop(currently 195/55/15 Kumho Ecsta SPT). So I decided modifying the mounts would be a good start. My first attempt was with an acrylic sylicon type material applied with a caulk gun. I must have gotten the wrong type of sylicon/window weld because it was very tender. It was about the consistancy of chewed bubble gum, so the idea was scrapped. In its place I decided on peices of timing belt cut to fit. A much more firm material, the pictures are below,

This was done to all three mounts in a similar style. My first impressions, I was worried initially of the added vibration as my car already has more than its fair share, but after installation I feel nearly no difference in the driver seat. No really! I do see a visual difference of the engines actual movement, it looks very still. As for the traction problems, it has helped but not eliminated the problem completely, although it seems to have cleared up the wheel hop portion of it. For the money though, I'm satisfied.

Julian
Do you mind if we copy your idea it seems to work.

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
1gcvcb18 - Don't mind at all, word of advice, use some type of adhesive when you install the timing belt into the mount. With the vibration and movement they like to wiggle themselves loose.

Another update for today, someone stole my battery and a host of other items. Pictures are below,

Okay, so in reality I relocated the battery, coil and fuse panel for a cleaner engine bay and slightly better weight distribution. I think it turned out good. Hopefully a wire tuck is in the near future.

Julian