Chikara Header...

• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

phatboycrxhf

• legend in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 crx ,98 malibu ,90 hatch,87 hatch trailer,87 legend,95 dodge neon,90 civic sedan SE
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Apr 11 2007, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just ordered the header from Summit. I already have the Si oil pan and oxygen sensor, but still need the oil pick-up.

Guess I need to remove the black paint and repaint it with GOOD heat paint. How did you guys remove it and what color did you paint yours. Is sandblasting an option? I will probably stay black, but thinking about silver. wink.gif

yeah i just let mine burn off lol once it heats up it bubbles ,then when it dries it just flakes off ,you can allso sandblast ,i would have but allmost all mine burned off ,for the rest i just hit the header with a buffing wheel on a drill ,a grinder will work allso

and i painted mine with this takes a few coats though

but i think silver would look good allso or even gunmetal wink.gif or gold nah not gold lol

Edited by phatboycrxhf, 12 April 2007 - 02:12 AM.

My Webpage
(quote by RareCrx)HAVE A MADD TYTE DIGGITY DOGG ,BUBBLES SPRAYIN ON THE INTERCOOLER, poopin ON A 8 SECOND CHEVELLE WITH MY MINI-ME SWAP DAY..

Sgt. Pepper

QUOTE (phatboycrxhf @ Apr 12 2007, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah i just let mine burn off lol once it heats up it bubbles ,then when it dries it just flakes off ,you can allso sandblast ,i would have but allmost all mine burned off ,for the rest i just hit the header with a buffing wheel on a drill ,a grinder will work allso

and i painted mine with this

but i think silver would look good allso or even gunmetal wink.gif or gold nah not gold lol

Well my motor isn't assembled, so heating it up might be tough. How long can I microwave it? LOL And unfortunately it may not fit in my buddy's sandblast cabinet. Guess I'll hit it with the wirewheel dry.gif

What if I heat it up with a propane torch?
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

D Jaws II

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX SI D15A3, 89 CRX Si B18A1, 89 Prelude B20A JDM, 91 CRX DX D15B2, 87 CRX HF with a D15A3 (pictured above) New 11/06: 1998 Civic EX JDM B16A to be new track car
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Setup your header in front one of these for a few minutes, and you 'll burn off anything undesired.

Then apply high temp paint. (AFTER it cools, duh)

Donnie

"YOU SHOULD NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY"

koshir

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: CRX 86' and 91' :: JAZZ 08'
Or just buy paint remover in paint shop, put it on and wait for paint to wrinkle and then remove it with wire brush...and you're ready for new paint wink.gif

Edited by koshir, 12 April 2007 - 07:40 AM.

Sgt. Pepper

QUOTE (D Jaws II @ Apr 12 2007, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Setup your header in front one of these for a few minutes, and you 'll burn off anything undesired.

Then apply high temp paint. (AFTER it cools, duh)
Donnie

I don't have one of those ^ sad.gif
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

phatboycrxhf

• legend in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 crx ,98 malibu ,90 hatch,87 hatch trailer,87 legend,95 dodge neon,90 civic sedan SE
    • Image Gallery
propane torch would do the trick allso i bet even a little one in a blue can would work too wink.gif take longer but should work

My Webpage
(quote by RareCrx)HAVE A MADD TYTE DIGGITY DOGG ,BUBBLES SPRAYIN ON THE INTERCOOLER, poopin ON A 8 SECOND CHEVELLE WITH MY MINI-ME SWAP DAY..

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (phatboycrxhf @ Apr 12 2007, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and i painted mine with this takes a few coats though

Jeff, in all honesty, what difference does it make what color it is? As long as what it's covered with stays on and (hopefully) helps keep the heat contained within it.

I bought this stuff from these guys:Satin Black and coated two of my headers with it using a cheap air brush. Which is what they recommend using actually. I sandblasted them beforehand with a $25 sandblaster from harbor freight using sand from Lowes (yep, sand box sand, about $3 for 50lbs). If you have a compressor that's the way to go, if not send it to me and I'll do it for you wink.gif !

I know I owe you a couple of bolts and I think I'm going to just yank then out of the rusty parts hulk in the back yard this weekend...I need to get rid of that thing anyway.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Sgt. Pepper

Thanks for the tips guys. On a related note:

Can someone find and ship me an Si oil strainer for the oil pan. I ordered one from Majestic, but they said it was discontinued mad.gif I have the oil pan and the header is on the way, now I just need the strainer. Thanks.

Sgt. Pepper

Header arrived today! biggrin.gif

Okay, once I have re-painted it and it is ready to install - do I bolt in on before I drop in the motor or after? It seems like it would be easier to bolt in on first instedd of trying to fit it in after.

phatboycrxhf

• legend in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Apr 14 2007, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Header arrived today! biggrin.gif

Okay, once I have re-painted it and it is ready to install - do I bolt in on before I drop in the motor or after? It seems like it would be easier to bolt in on first instedd of trying to fit it in after.

i would install after ,there really light ,and i think you might have an issue with the header hitting the subframe ,but i guess its up to you

good luck

mitch

My Webpage

Sgt. Pepper

Did a test fit (prior to removing the paint) and the holes don't quite line up. They're close, but off by about 1/2 the diameter of the hole. Can I make the holes a bit bigger? Has anyone else had this problem? Any other suggestions?

phatboycrxhf

• legend in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Apr 15 2007, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did a test fit (prior to removing the paint) and the holes don't quite line up. They're close, but off by about 1/2 the diameter of the hole. Can I make the holes a bit bigger? Has anyone else had this problem? Any other suggestions?

oh yeah i totally forgot about that ,sorry . mine was alittle tough to install on the right side ,the bottom right bolt to be exact ,so all i did was drill it a bit bigger ,a die grinder would work allso ,ive allso heard about cleaning up the welding right in side the flange ,i havent done it ,but heard it helps with airflow ,just a thought before you do the final install

good luck

mitch

My Webpage

Sgt. Pepper

Just got the header (and rear springs) back from the sandblaster. I assume the header does NOT get a primer, just some high heat paint. Right? I'll pick up the paint tomorrow afternoon, clean up the header a bit more, prep and paint. Probably black. unsure.gif Pictures to follow.

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
I had no fitment problems with my Hedman/Chikara header. Fits great and works good, I got the ceramic coated version.

Julian

Sgt. Pepper

I know color doesn't matter, but I want gloss black. Does anyone know if gloss black is available in a high heat paint. I ran around town today and didn't see any. They have gloss red, yellow and silver, but every other color is flat. I bought Cast and I don't like the color - yes, I am anal.

I cleaned up the header, including the welds inside for better flow. Shot it with VHT Cast high heat paint, but it looks fugly. dry.gif