1g Crx In Wind Tunnel.

• You cannot reply to this topic
121 replies to this topic

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
My Ballade Sport CR-X brochure says CD:0.33 and CL:0.20, and CD x A:0.56 on page 3.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
rfl, yes. there is no free downforce. removing the bottom of the rear bumper will have borh of the effects you're talking about. less drag because of reduced blockage, but more drag AND downforce because of the venturi (low pressure region) created by the area expansion. hopefully the extra drag is less than the old drag. this is the basis of a rear diffuser, which is just raising the underbody in the back. also this effect can be amplified by adding a rear spoiler and reducing the pressure behind the car. this again increases drag, but pays in downforce. If you've ever seen drag numbers from an open wheel car, you'll notice that they are astonishingly high. we had an IRL car in our other tunnel the other day, and it was making 1000lbs of downforce and 1000lbs of drag at about 200mph. yikes.

They really had the car down to .26!? wowzers. well do they have the frontal area in there?
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yeah, the open wheels are insane with the amount of air that they move... At summit point, you know the bridge that you cross heading twards the paddock... Well, we were watching FV's (SCCA) on the bridge and the amount of air that they displace would actualy "rock" the bridge...

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
lol. sweet.

I want an open wheel car...I'm gunna go take off my fenders.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

racerjon1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: A few CRXs, The AMS Time Attack Evo VIII, a Formula Continental and a Showroom Stock Neon on occasion.
Somewhere I ran across that it was the 86 HF that had the lowest cd, at .27 (that would be without the passenger mirror, and flush headlights)

Speaking of the open wheel stuff moving things.. FV's are nothing.. I was lucky enough to get to stand on the Pit wall at Indy durring testing in 1992, when Jim Crawford was first cracking into the high 220s.. the car would come by us at about 10 feet @ 236mph.. insane. However, it was nothing compared to leaning on the fence at Daytona when the old GTP cars came by..

but back on topic..

I have a stock 86 HF, not running, but the body is stock and complete. If you end up needing it, I have a trailer and can do my best to get it there.

Jon K
www.racerjon.com

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
thanks for the offer Jon. I might take you up on that if it turns out there's some mod to do that would take alot of time.

I've never been to Indy. Jealous.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (racerjon1 @ Jan 19 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Somewhere I ran across that it was the 86 HF that had the lowest cd, at .27 (that would be without the passenger mirror, and flush headlights)

Speaking of the open wheel stuff moving things.. FV's are nothing.. I was lucky enough to get to stand on the Pit wall at Indy durring testing in 1992, when Jim Crawford was first cracking into the high 220s.. the car would come by us at about 10 feet @ 236mph.. insane. However, it was nothing compared to leaning on the fence at Daytona when the old GTP cars came by..

but back on topic..

I have a stock 86 HF, not running, but the body is stock and complete. If you end up needing it, I have a trailer and can do my best to get it there.

Jon K
www.racerjon.com

I wonder what it would be like to stand 10 feet from a top fuel dragster going 330 mph... Wowzers...

86 crx

racerjon1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: A few CRXs, The AMS Time Attack Evo VIII, a Formula Continental and a Showroom Stock Neon on occasion.
QUOTE (Computer @ Jan 21 2007, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder what it would be like to stand 10 feet from a top fuel dragster going 330 mph... Wowzers...

I have stood with the officials in the starting box.. so not at 300mph, but behind them as they launch.. probably 50 feet. It is something else. In fact, top fuel cars are something else.. I don't care how hard-core a roadrace fan someone is, that's one of the things somone needs to see at some point in their life.

One good thing about drag racing, the stands are pretty close, and at the larger tracks they go all the way down, so you can get within a hundred feet or so of the car doing 300.

Indy is another thing, the entire event, the start, 33 cars, etc.. Also, a NASCAR race on a 1.5 mile high-banks is cool..

Anyway back on topic..

After I posted the thing about the HF it also hit me that I have an 85 Si in perfect stock shape - front lip, rear spoiler, everything. (Carpenter's National-Championship winning 85 Si from 2001, runner up in 2002 and 2000.) I would have two like that, but my front lip came off the other 85 SI for my STS-2 build.

Jon K

bamcrxgp

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
RexKrazy, I would love to send you the air dam and splitter , I own Road Race Gear, that I make for your car to see what it does. I would love to get some type of info on what it does if anything.
Blake Meredith

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Blake, Heck ya! That's parts I don't have to make. Of course you'd be mentioned and your website plugged in my paper along with the changes it made in drag and downforce and radiator flow (usually not noted, but a splitter should increase radiator flow velocity). Maybe I'd even put a sticker on my car.

I hadn't thought about probing body parts manufacturers for gear to test. Maybe I sould e-mail Houseman. Any other parts suppliers you guys think I should contact?

-Tony
[email protected]
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

bamcrxgp

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
I can tell you when I add a splitter to my GP car the oil temp went down 20 degrees. This was on the same weekend back to back. Let me know when you will need an air dam and for what year CRX and I will put one together.
Blake Meredith

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Ok Great. I won't put the request in quite yet because the project is not officially approved...but I know the board so it shouldn't be a problem.

86 crx si, unless I get a mugen kit from houseman
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I'm now finishing up my proposal and submitting to my boss, should be through in a couple days. I've got a few partners to help w/ the leg work now too. I'm gettin excited.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

DarkHand

QUOTE (RexKrazy @ Mar 1 2007, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm now finishing up my proposal and submitting to my boss, should be through in a couple days. I've got a few partners to help w/ the leg work now too. I'm gettin excited.

Awesome! biggrin.gif
DarkHand