1g Crx In Wind Tunnel.

• You cannot reply to this topic
121 replies to this topic

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
that rear bumpper would be intersting to find out.

i found for the drag strip i did the rear cut out and i belive i cut my times down. i did get my best ever run with it. but hard to say.

i would say the mugen full kit would flow the best. it looks to be a solid front grill adn smoth edges on the car. fenders ete.
dont thing the mirrors are that well for air flow.
the diff wings would be cool to see witch are better the dx or si or mugen
ressesd vs flush headlights
front lip vs no lip

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
You may be interested to know that the coefficient of drag of the 1G crx is 0.26, one of the first cars to get below 0.30. I think the audi quattro may have been the first below .3

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
you guys ever see myth busters when they researched the truck tailgate for MPG? they verified 2 times that the tailgate in the up (closed) position was better for fuel economy than the tailgate being down (open). they also verified that the tailgate being replaced with one of those nets was even better yet for fuel economy. im willing to bet that the rear bumper on the crx is the same deal, holes better than cutout.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

Ron22

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX HF
You might want to try this web site
http://www.gassavers.org/forum.php
They would have ideas and I know they would be interested in the results.

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
According to my old book, the 84-85 CRX with recessed headlights had a aerodynamic efficiency of Cd 0.33. If that helps as a baseline.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The rear bumper has been one of my pet projects for some time. I have always thought that it needed some modification and so I did this to mine:

Without the benefit of a wind tunnel, my butt-o-meter tells me that the car is more stable (less buffeting) at high speed. I have been considering the design of a defuser to further smooth the flow under the car, but it is a "back burner" idea right now.

The information about the pickup tailgate makes sense if you are familiar with the concept ot the Gurney Lip. Racer/Builder Dan Gurney discovered that a small lip at nearly a right angle`to the plain of a wing increases the wing's effeciency. The turbulance casued by the small lip "tricks" the air into thinking the wing is larger than it actually is.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Vicious

laugh.gif i'm getting gitty with excitement and i'm not even particapating in the experiment but still anixous for the results

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
i've thought about a gurney flap. that would be something to add on later if I can't get the rear downforce. It would be a small strip at a right angle along the back of the car. The methology is that the flap creates a stagnation point infront of it making a high pressure region. This could add significant drag also, seeing as you're lowering the pressure behind the car.

.26 is really really low for a CD number. you sure on that? .33 sounds more believable. mine is an 86, so it should be slightly better.

I'm not sure if the pickup truck thing applies to the rear bumper. We actually ran a pickup truck test a few years ago and it indeed did worse with the tailgate down. This is supposedly due to much larger circulation region in the bed w/ the gate down. I'm not sure if they tried a net or not, but that's interesting. In our case there is no steep drop off besides the gas tank, and I don't think that would be a problem unless you pull the bumper all the way off. In any case, sealed will be better. Anyone have any frontal area numbers on the car? It would be nice to have the real number to get an accurate CD. It's not teh easiest thing to measure well.

I like the idea of adding some type of gurney flap....I think i'd have to build a whole new "spoiler" though. Maybe make it a little longer because I'm not sure that the flow will be reattached by that point. might have to make a fairly large flap like the nascar boys to get any effect.

I'm excited too biggrin.gif
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

shahriar35

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 95 accord lx wagon, CRX 87 DX w/ a D16a1
    Garage View Garage
I was always curious with how much a difference it would make w/ a car that has been clayed and waxed compared to one that hasnt been. I mean its the same as idea of a dirty air plane

1995 Accord LX Wagon
1987 CRX DX with a d16a1 Blacktop

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
the cleaner the better :-). however, I'm sure you'd have to be on a giant speedway to see the difference in lap times.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
QUOTE (pvbcrx @ Jan 11 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a pretty neat project - ODU was smart to work out that deal with NASA on the Full Scale Tunnel. Although my CRX wasn't built until after I graduated from Tech, it would have been a tight fit in their measly little 6'x6' Stability Tunnel. laugh.gif

In a related racing note from about twenty years ago, here's my '69 Olds Delta 88 (#77) meeting its fiery end at an Enduro race across the street from Langley:

Good luck with the testing!

Doug

Hey that's Langley Speedway. My cousin sponsors a car down there. I will be down there after my racing season up here with my Monte Carlo!!

Ben K

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
FYI the wind tunnel to be used is accross the street on Langley Air Force Base.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Yes .26, Its in the ballade sports crx brochures

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Cant wait to see the results of this project!
Now as for the rear bumper cut out, if I remember correctly there was a post about this a while back. Its said that the more you take out of the rear to increase airflow (and with a front lip) the more vaccum is created underneith the rear of the car which inturn helps stability at higher speeds... Now here is my question... This vaccum that is created, wouldnt it inturn cause the car to slow down and increase the engine load?

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

85Beater

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: cars he can pay cash for!
Leaving the tailgate up creates a small eddy of airflow inside the bed. The majority of the air simply rolls over this pocket (as anybody who has ridden in the bed of a truck on a cold night can attest). when you lower the tailgate this pocket is removed and the turbulence directly behind the cab increase, which screws your slip stream all the way back. I guess the net would allow the pocket to form, while allowing the pocket to be more stable (much like the hole in the middle of a parachute).

And yes, I am excited about these wind tunnel results, been watching this post for a while and getting more excited by the day.

Interesting about the rear bumper, might have to nab a spare and modify it to see just what your talking about.
1987 CRX DX - Devacced, excellent interior, runs perfect, the fun car.
Note: 1G CRX's are not durable against late model motorcycles...

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Bone stock except for Brembo rotors and upgraded pads

85Beater's Vouch Thread