Fix Or Sell... Can't Decide...

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

Mad Cow

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si turbo
Hey guys, not sure if anyone remembers me (forgot my old password + old email address is gone), but Im the guy that way back bought f'n Wes' turbo CRX. smile.gif For the longest time its just been sitting collecting dust, in the last year I got married and bought a house and havent had much time to play with it. Now Ive been told to either make it driveable to get rid of it by my better half (apparently she doesnt think its looks good as a lawn ornament... I disagree... but im not the boss). Anyhow, heres the condition the car is in:

- hasnt been driven for over a year.
- rotors are for sure completely rusted need replacement. not even sure if the front rotors are 87 crx rotors or integra rotors (with a zc swap, would it be normal to swap in teg rotors at the same time?)
- engine *does* start (man, they dont build hondas this good any more!!), but it smokes pretty good. looks like some oil is on the header. valve cover gasket maybe?
- rust!! im sure the rust monster has eaten a bit more of the car... its been sitting in the elements. not even sure where to begin if I want to tackle this problem.
- whatever else I dont know about..

so again, the question is, with a limited budget anyone think its worth fixing it up? or should I cut my losses and part out/sell? my major concern is really the rust, i dont want the car to return home without me one day because the drivers seat fell through the floor smile.gif

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
Only sitting a year? Most likely if you can get the car to move forward
you don't need new brakes. Drive it a couple hundred miles and the
rust will fly off them. That's not a guess mine sat longer than that.

Track down the oil thing and I bet you have a really nice car I bet.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I know that car, and I would say the chassis is not worth keeping, unfortunately. Unless you can get a good body to swap everything into (and assuming the boss lets you) I'd say part out the good stuff and cut your losses.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Mad Cow

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (rpr @ May 19 2004, 10:38 PM)
I know that car, and I would say the chassis is not worth keeping, unfortunately. Unless you can get a good body to swap everything into (and assuming the boss lets you) I'd say part out the good stuff and cut your losses.

Lol, yeah, I think if I ask my wife for money to buy another CRX she'd punch me to death. smile.gif I was leaning towards parting out before, but now im convinced. I just couldn't invision sinking any money into the car in its current shape. What do you think is worth selling? My short list is:

- engine (ZC)
- turbo kit (turbo, pipes, FMIC, MSD ignition, etc)
- rims
- seats
- misc trim pieces...

Anything else major that im overlooking? Any idea what fair prices would be for those parts? If I can figure out how to pull the engine, maybe Ill get everything out of the car and bring stuff to the next Niagra falls meet...

Mad Cow

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (Condor @ May 19 2004, 09:15 PM)
Track down the oil thing and I bet you have a really nice car I bet.

Only problem is the car seems a bit rotten with rust sad.gif But you're right though, it was a damn fun car a few years ago when I first picked it up. a bit scary though. all that power with a totally stock, worn out suspension. smile.gif

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
how much would you part with that car for? and what state do you live in?
I have nothing...

heyitsme

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 91 crx hf: 86 crx si: 96 Nissan Altima
If the fenders are in good condition and some of the other exterior pieces I will buy them off of you.

87crxdx

where abouts from ontario are u from?

Mad Cow

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (87crxdx @ May 20 2004, 08:02 AM)
where abouts from ontario are u from?

Im near Toronto... about an hour north of the city.

Edited by Mad Cow, 20 May 2004 - 10:05 AM.

Mad Cow

• Granny
  • Pip
Here is the classified post...

http://www.redpepper...?showtopic=9138