More On My Vibration Problem

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

I posted about this before - a vibration that starts at about 65 and gets worse the higher the speed.

I have not been able to track down the source.  Both axle shafts have been replaced, as have the hubs and front wheel bearings, and rotors.

It seems worse with the 13x7 Keizers and race rubber, but I'm not reaching speeds much in excess of 65 mph, and not driving it hard.  Last weekend I was above 80 on one stretch of the course.

I'm due for new tires, so I'll ask them to pay close attention to balancing.  However, this will be my 3rd set mounted on these wheels, with several additional flips to keep the wear even, and the shop I take them to is no stranger to racing tires.

New development this weekend though.  On Saturday, the right front wheel was rubbing on the caliper.  A little odd, since it should only go on one way, but I do take them on and off, and it's a tight fit clearance wise.  I removed the wheel and reseated it and the rubbing went away.

It was back on Sunday and I could not get rid of it.  I was also worse in low speed tight turns on the course.  It seems to me that things are moving around that should not be. That's a problem that needs to be resolved before my next event.

I need to take a look at the hub/bearing/steering knuckle assembly.  I'm sure it's not broken, but perhaps the bearing has worked it's way out, which seems odd since it's supposed to be held in by a spring clip.

Any other ideas? Bent hub perhaps?

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

Do the wheels have hub centric rings or are they already matched to what the CRX needs?  Sounds like there's a little slop, which would certainly explain rubbing on the caliper and varying degrees of vibration.  

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Although my 1st gen is dedicated to autocross, it is street legal (mostly) and so in drive it to events. And I drive it to events on my DOT-legal Yokohama A0048 tires.

Leaving the last event I got a nasty vibration at freeway speeds that I had never experienced before. I though that the harshness was from not resetting my Konis back to a softer setting.

My next road trip in the car was on the freeway and it was still vibrating as speed increased. At the first stop I looked carefully at my tires and found a substantial flat spot.

At the last autocross I had a fairly spectacular spin in a low speed "lollipop" and I am sure that is were I flat spotted the tires.

So now I need to source some 185/60/13 DOT - legal racing rubber. It appears that my only choices are Toyo R888's or Hoosier "Sports Car" tires. There are about 650 good reasons why I am not rushing to buy new racing tires. Compound that with our oldest getting married next month our youngest going to Europe as a college graduation gift on my dime.

I will wait until my car passes (hopefully) California smog inspection in September before I commit the big bucks to a new set of racing rubber.

Racing tires is like beingv hooked on Crack. Once you start, you can never stop.

This ramble has gone on too long. Bottom line: Its your tires. Get new ones.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

Not saying it isn't a flat spot too, but why would that cause his caliper to rub on his wheel?  

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.

Ya, for it to contact the caliper, but not the next time the tire is mounted, makes me think there is an issue with the lug-centric wheels.  If they are not hub-centric. 

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

Scott makes a good point that I hadn't thought of.  It might tie in with my brake locking problem - the fronts lock way too easily.  I have flat spotted them several times.  Scott made the suggestion of installing an Integra proportioning valve to go with the Integra brakes, which is probably not a bad idea.

Still, that doesn't explain the rubbing.  Perhaps two separate things are going on here?

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Rubbing on the caliper has nothing to do with flat spots.

I find it hard to believe that the rubber tire is rubbing the caliper. The caliper lives within the wheel. I can believe that the metal wheel. If it "just happened" then there could be an issue of the wrong lug nuts.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

Ya, for it to contact the caliper, but not the next time the tire is mounted, makes me think there is an issue with the lug-centric wheels.  If they are not hub-centric. 

they are lug centric.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

I find it hard to believe that the rubber tire is rubbing the caliper. The caliper lives within the wheel. I can believe that the metal wheel is rubbing on the caliper. If it "just happened" then there could be an issue of the wrong lug nuts.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

I find it hard to believe that the rubber tire is rubbing the caliper. The caliper lives within the wheel. I can believe that the metal wheel is rubbing on the caliper. If it "just happened" then there could be an issue of the wrong lug nuts.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

My appologies.  I did say "tire" but I know that you, and everyone else, understood what I meant and that I never suggested the tire was contacting the caliper...  But I always appreciate your ability to point it out in such a condescending manner.  Notably, with your trolling and rarity of posts, it seems you only post to be a condescending prick.  Hopefully, my mistake about the "tire" has made you feel accomplished today.   It was actually a stretch for you to think I said "the rubber tire is rubbing the caliper," and says a lot about you. 

Now go race your 185's to the mall.

And a serious appology to everyone else for not tolerating BS any more.  Sorry Andy.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Yeah, I am an asshole that way. Insisting that you mean "wheel" when you say "rim," "air dam" when you say "lip" and "spoiler"when you say "wing."

Geez whiz, wouldn't life be great if no one pointed out our inaccuracies and we could all wallow in our ignorance?

Lighten up, it is not always about you. Unless, of course, you say something that needs correcting. In that case, it is about you.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

You're the only person that misunderstood when I misused one word...  You also twisted it into some context, that was obviously not even implied.  Who's wallowing? 

"The caliper lives within the wheel."  Jeez Scott, are your calipers alive?  Do you really think they have a heart beat and breath air?  Do you feed them and take them for walks?  I also have a caliper (measuring device) that "lives" in my tool box.  But, I understood what you said and it didn't even cross my mind to jab at you. 

Do you kick your dog when you're bored?

Say something useful.  I dare ya. 

I'm banning myself.

WD40with1200grit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 JDM CR-X Si

Are you running multi-piece rotors?

Free will means taking full responsibility for everything we think, feel and do.

Once we give up taking full-responsibility for our real lives we have given over our real lives to third party's to take responsibility, often to men and women who are complete strangers to us, our families, our communities and our natural environment.

When we RE-PRESENT what is not PRESENT to the PRESENCE of LIFE we are creating, committing, supporting and condoning fraud.

TRUTH is where the presence of LIFE is always present.

FREE SPEECH without respect = HATE SPEECH.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
No