Rack And Pinion

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

Rude Ralph

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 crx si
So just yesterday I go to replace control arms, tie rods, bushings etc but when I slide the boot off the toe rod I noticed that I need a new rack 👎🏼 does anyone know where I can get a replacement rack or have any tips for when I go to replace it? Thanks in advance

richard

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
I'm curious what is wrong with the rack. I've never seen or heard of one going bad. Not that I've been around these cars that long.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
http://car-part.com/
Jeff

sedanman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx dx 88 sedan 93 sedan
I think your looking at a worn tie rod end the steering rack has no ball joints on it they un screw. Unless inm not understanding what your saying

Billy.

Rude Ralph

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 crx si
Im trying to figure out how to post a picture but the rack is sticking out like 3 inches from the steering gearbox... My friend who literally has owned and worked on Hondas since I was a child told me it's not suppose to do that but then I've showed other people and they say it looks ok

richard

sedanman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx dx 88 sedan 93 sedan
If you take all the boots off you can see the teeth of the rack. When you turn the wheel the rack slides back and forth. Lock steering colum by removing the keys and have some one hold the steering wheel tightly against the lock and push and pull on the rack their should be no movement.

Ifcthis checks out your good to go, i have only seen a couple bad racks in the 25+ hondas i have personally owned. 99percent if the time its just bad ball joints.

Then their is damage from a wreck or some act of god that can hurt a steering rack then it should be replaced only way to tell is to go to the junkyard and see if the other cars look the same.

But if you were driving thus car and didnt notice something majorly wrong its probaly fine.
Like you said pics would greatly help

Billy.