Atlanta Area - Crx Body Panel Mold Help

• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

Scott Giles

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '85 G Prepared CRX
I have a fabricator in the Atlanta area that has agreed to make molds for the 86-87 Si rocker (side sill) covers and the front header panel, but I need the parts so he can copy them. The parts don't have to be perfect. Even if they are cracked or broken he can still use them for molds.

He would like to start with the header panel and 86-87 rocker covers because those are likely the most in demand. If this works out and he sells pieces, he'll likely do more.

Price not set yet, but he will do either Fiberglass or CF once he has the molds done. This is a race shop that is well known and a fabricator that has skills. He's also a "Honda Guy." I've even got another shop lined up willing to do the work, but the Atlanta choice is a better one.

This is a GREAT chance to get these pieces copied before they are all crumbled to bits and useless, but I need help. I have had trouble finding usable parts to make the molds. Mine are shattered from autocross cone hits.

So if you are willing to help out, please hit me with a PM. I'd really like to find someone in Atlanta due to shipping complications with these things, but if you have a usable set and are willing so ship please let me know.

THANKS!

PS - I know the tendency is to hoard these things because they are so hard to find, but I'mhoping someone will be willing to take one for the team.

Edited by Scott Giles, 16 February 2010 - 12:16 AM.

'85 CRX #157 GP (Hers)
SemperFiFund.org

maddog

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 honda CRX SI
pm sent

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic CRX DX(sold), 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si
I dont mean to be jumping the gun or anything, but do you have any prices? Also, there may be an 86-87 Si driver's side rocker panel in one of the junkyards nearby. I will double check, but I'm pretty sure when I saw it, it had a few cracks, but nothing actually missing. No guarantee, but I will try to check sometime this week. The only reason I haven't bought it already is that I ran out of money last time I was there. Will let ya know as soon as possible.

Jeff

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
Last I knew, there's a set of '86-'87 Si side skirts that were painstakingly removed from a (semi)operational CRX in Suffolk, VA, for this effort, that can be dropped off while passing through Atlanta in 2 weeks.

I will have to look though my "stash", but I am pretty sure I still have a broken header panel that is not after-market, that would be a good candidate to make a mold from.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic CRX DX(sold), 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si
QUOTE (jweber89 @ Feb 16 2010, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont mean to be jumping the gun or anything, but do you have any prices? Also, there may be an 86-87 Si driver's side rocker panel in one of the junkyards nearby. I will double check, but I'm pretty sure when I saw it, it had a few cracks, but nothing actually missing. No guarantee, but I will try to check sometime this week. The only reason I haven't bought it already is that I ran out of money last time I was there. Will let ya know as soon as possible.

Jeff

Sorry, just read everything again and saw the answer to my question.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
i got a driver side skirt and passenger door cap (also getting hard to find) i have a header panel but its aftermarket and the tabs need repair
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

Scott Giles

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Keith,
You are plan B right now. I'm trying to get this done a little sooner than you will be passing through town, plus I'm admittedly concerned about the pieces you have having been "shaved." That will require some digging of filler to return to stock, and could break them in the process.
The attraction of this exercise to the fabricator is a dead-on stock replacement piece. Those modified ones may cause some problems.

I think we may have the rocker panels covered as early as this weekend. I'll get prices once he looks the parts over and determines how labor intensive it's going to be.

Still need a good header panel Keith, so we may be able to coordinate a drop-off in 2 weeks.

Edited by Scott Giles, 16 February 2010 - 12:07 PM.

'85 CRX #157 GP (Hers)
SemperFiFund.org

Hairy'85si

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: '85 CRX Si, '92 Integra
I have a stock header on my '85 Si that needs tab repair and has cracks. I live about 40 miles NE of Atlanta.

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
watching....waiting....hoping... unsure.gif
Cannot drive with the window up

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (Scott Giles @ Feb 16 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SNIP

Still need a good header panel Keith, so we may be able to coordinate a drop-off in 2 weeks.

I have gone through my stash of header panels (whole and parts). 3 (broken ones) appear to be OEM, 2 of which are pre-'86, so they have at least remnants of the of the little retaining holes at the bottom, for the recessed headlight surrounds. I have 2 un-used aftermarket header panels, for comparison. (All the aftermarket header panels are a little too narrow, and lack the pre-86 retaining holes.)

Let me know if I should try to drop them off near Atlanta.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
Do we have any recent updates on this? j/w

Jeff

Scott Giles

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Still need a good drivers side skirt to mold. We have one, but its slightly warped and has been previously repaired and Adam would prefer to not use it unless we just can't find anything else any better.

When done (and hopefully we'll get it done) the fiberglass copies will go for about $200 a set.

'85 CRX #157 GP (Hers)
SemperFiFund.org

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Scott Giles @ Mar 1 2010, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still need a good drivers side skirt to mold. We have one, but its slightly warped and has been previously repaired and Adam would prefer to not use it unless we just can't find anything else any better.

When done (and hopefully we'll get it done) the fiberglass copies will go for about $200 a set.

What about the header panel? Will you be using an 86-87 header panel without the headlight mounting holes? or will you be using the 84-85 header panel with those holes?

Jeff

Scott Giles

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
We'll be using whatever header panel(s) Keith comes up with to let Adam mold. I can't remember which one he said he had, but we have at least one to work with.

If anyone has wondered how hard it really is to come up with these parts, you should have traded places with me in the past couple of months. Its been damned near impossible.

Which is why getting these molds made is so important.

Still looking for lower door skins BTW.

'85 CRX #157 GP (Hers)
SemperFiFund.org

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
i have both si rocker panels, several door panels, although i dont have a drivers side "si" style door panel... i have an aftermarket header panel. im in jacksonville, would be willing to deliver my parts for some "prototypes"? btw, what about fenders?
grimms mom