• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The sad story about the EA that has been written off because the owner was "driving it like it was built to be driven" made me think about all the potential Honda wrecks that can be avoided if we learn how to drive our cars.

Let's start with the cliffs: Brake in a straight line. Taking too much speed into a corner and applying the brakes as you try to get around the corner is a recipe for disaster. The rule of thumb for driving any car fast around a corner is to ENTER SLOW and EXIT FAST. That means slow down for a corner, apex it correctly and then get on the gas ASAP.

"Why not use the brakes when I have too much speed in a corner?"

It comes down to physics: As you enter the corner your front tires have the majority of the load and your rear tires are hardly loaded at all, your inside rear tire is just barely in contact with the ground. When you step on the brakes during that turn the weight of the car gets shifted even farther forward, completely unloading the rear tires entirely.

Once the load is removed from the rear tires by hitting the brake in the middle of a turn, the back end of the car is free to swing around in a classic display of driver induced oversteer.

On the track (the only place to be driving at 10/10ths) you will be able to tell the rookies from the experienced drivers by the way their cars leave the track: Rookies will cause snap oversteer and exit backwards, more experienced drivers will go off forwards (if at all) as they push the limits until they exceed their car's ability to fight understeer.

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
trail braking is a great tool for helping to reduce understeer. use it all the time. autocrossing my 91 Si is a great example of trail braking working for a good cause. also works well in the miata as long as you catch it.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Scott with all the driving advice you must have won many races and podium finished every time.. Please tell me how many times you have trophied 1-2-3, or podium finished in a sanctioned event ? I'm really curious I bet it has been too many to post. Maybe soon I will no longer be a novice I still have a lot of work to do..

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Threshold Braking. Everybody needs to pick up this skill.
Posted Image

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Dec 30 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
trail braking is a great tool for helping to reduce understeer.

I prefer to set my car up to dial out as much understeer as possible (a big ass rear sway bar is your friend).

Without a doubt trail braking and/or the subtle application of more power is a great tool for "balancing" a car's weight. My greatest pleasure is to "hang" my car on the edge and tip the balance with small amounts of right foot. And while it is fun to "sling" a car around, the truly fastest method around a corner is smooth and without loss of traction (there is no drifting in F1).

But trail braking is a learned skill and the collective "we" are still killing vintage Hondas with lots of enthusiasm and little technique. I highly recommend time on a skid pad, if it is available, to safely learn the concept. Until then, the collective community can be best served to learn a simple concept like braking in a straight line.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

JEM MotorSports

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: me up the wall
^ yoda has taught you well master scott...

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
Scott, thanks for taking the time to state what needs to be said.

These little economy gokarts aren't special to anyone but us, and so we need to heed Scott's advice. Take a driving course. Or, if you have access to a level grassy field, get out there and give it hell with some old tires. Used to cut doughnuts in my 88 Tbird in my dad's field. Taught me much about the physics of motion, out there testing the traction (which on grass isn't much).

Sick to death about the demise of that magnificient 3g, but I think we've all had that moment where we emerge unscathed, and think...

Gotta take that curve slower next time...

For me, it was coming over a slight hill in third, 6500 rpms, and the lsd really kicked in when I came back down to the pavement, throwing the nose and then the ass all manner of sideways. Settled it down, and swallowed the largest throat lump ever.

Scary moment.

Drive safe everyone. It's not like we have airbags, or safety features.

Edited by Tim, 30 December 2009 - 06:38 PM.

Cannot drive with the window up

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm just saying you don't have to belittle EA-HATCH (and a lot of other people here) saying he does not know how to drive and he is a novice driver that's why he crashed. You do it all the time, every time someone has a fender bender or a close call you have to analyze and criticize everyone's "TECHNIQUE" or driving habits. You have done it to me (just last month) you have done it to practically everyone that tells a spirited driving tale. It's bad enough he crashed the nicest 3G around , then you turn around and tell him it's because he does not know how to drive and is a novice. Were you there?

Why don't you answer my question (that you have avoided answering for years everytime I ask it) and tell all these good people how many "SANCTIONED" events you have won or even podium finished on to be belittling/analyzing everyone's driving technique. I know the answer it is ZERO, ZILCH, NADA.

I don't care who cries because I flamed their online hero. It just sickens me every time someone has driving tale Scott jumps in with WE ALL SUCK AND CAN'T DRIVE. Or RACING IS NOT FOR THE STREET, but then he tells his tale how he tested his newly added aerodynamics on a public mountain road at high speeds on the drive back from the Vegas meet.

I shall now jump in my car (that I don't know how to drive) and terrorize the curvy streets of my hometown like a novice driver out of control..

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Wow, calling people out now huh? What makes you so special that you think you need to school other people on their driving skills? This thread is very rediculous, way to be an ass.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

JMSBND

• HONDA MANIAC
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1972 Honda N360, Honda Coupe 9s, Honda 1977 Civic, Honda 1986 JDM CRX ZC, 2003 Honda S2000
Oh dear....... blink.gif

Calm down guys it's the festive season! Peace on earth, good will to all men and lots of time to be in the shed skinning knuckles on our cars.
My private collection:1972 Honda N360 Scamp; 1972 Honda Coupe 9s; 1973 Honda EB Civic Hatch; 1987 JDM ZC CRX; 2003 Honda S2000

Vicious

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

slavteren

• pervertet 17" lover!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic zc - 86 crx zc - 87 civic racecar
    • Image Gallery
why all that negative energi? i don't read this as he is flaming anyone, then again, my english isn't that perfect wink.gif

best advice ever: go racing.. everybody including my self, learns that way that they are NOT that great drivers as they thought... and when that is realized, you actually will get better, and that way safer.
My beloved civic

My life

user posted image

the most important weapon- is the heart af the worrior.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I don't see anything wrong with giving unsolicited advice.

That reminds me, I need to go check my cam timing, all you should do the same. (see how I just did that. wink.gif )
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (badpenny @ Dec 31 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That reminds me, I need to go check my cam timing, all you should do the same. (see how I just did that. wink.gif )

Don't forget the aluminum drums!

Boy, did I catch some criticism for offering a suggestion! Sorry if I offended anyone.

Now, if anyone has a rational arguement to refute my observations and raise my knowldege base I would be happy to become a smarter person.

Happy New Year!

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 31 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't forget the aluminum drums!

Boy, did I catch some criticism for offering a suggestion! Sorry if I offended anyone.

Now, if anyone has a rational arguement to refute my observations and raise my knowldege base I would be happy to become a smarter person.

Happy New Year!

Scott

I have to agree with Jeremy Clarkson, "Aluminum Drums, have the stopping power of warm butter"
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.