• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

dnocrx

• www.wirednj.com
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx zc boosted
QUOTE (Jayscrx @ May 25 2010, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, I give you alot of credit for talking about your faith! I have been in the same sittuation as you. You try so hard to make everything perfect so the car looks nice for the event but bad/crazy things keep on happening. This is when we need to learn to listen to God and not do it our way. Easy to say, but hard to do! My wife and I fight about the time I spend working on my CRX, so I know what you mean. Seems like when you have a wife/kids there is just never enough time for your own hobbies or projects. I have a hard time trying to find a balence beetween the two. Reading your post makes me realize that I need to get back to church at least three Sunday's a month. Thanks for sharing and take it easy.

Jay V.

^^^^^ i 2nd that ^^^^^
RUN YOUR CAR NOT YOUR MOUTH

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (A-Man @ May 24 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i read through most of this thread.

and from the pics what i can make out what happened was u painted the mating surface of the bolts on the rim.
this means there is a materiel that is compressable between the 2 surfaces (the bolt and the rim and the rim and the rim face).

ive seen this happen alot where new paint and not cleaning the surfaces will loosen the bolts.

u need to remember you get alot of heat and vibration through those wheels.

i would put money on that being the problem ive seen it alot.

also i didnt realise these were a 2 peice rim mine at home dont have nuts on the inside does that mean mine are aswell?

You don't have the face bolts? Either you then have the Mugen M5, not MR5 or the Drag or Rota replica.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

A-Man

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: da, eg, at, etc.
i have face bolts but i thought they were fake bolts but i might b wrong

these r my wheels on my car.

they have like a double hex head on the bolts

Edited by A-Man, 26 May 2010 - 12:15 PM.

VEX1250

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1988 EF8 with B16, 1990 DA Integra LS
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ May 24 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I myself are a believer but not the best woreshipper, Ive had a few whispers myself and screams. I know forsure this sunday I will be seated in the good ol houes of god, Its been to long. And about to start my build I need the Help that counts most.

Hey Man...if you receive this....NOT to be a goof by Any means...but having been a strong, devout Assemblies of God Christian ALL of my fourty years, you wanna honestly know something....It MIGHT be a good idea for you to Honestly reconsider the choice you've made in Avatar.....I would NEVER have guessed you Meant the above going by looking at your Honestly DISGUSTING avatar...that is if you truly know what it means/indicates.......

Just a friendly/Christian reminder.

I also know of another prominent poster on here who IS DISGUSTED at seeing this sticker being repped on "Honda" guy's cars....it's Really a SICK, degrading sign to Any well thought relationship and women in general!

Edited by VEX1250, 26 May 2010 - 12:46 PM.

crxgator

• Buttsex in the hottub
  • PipPip
QUOTE (A-Man @ May 26 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is it me or do i spy boobs and nips in this pic?
2nd gen driver...1st gen lover...

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (A-Man @ May 26 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They look like real Mugens. 2 Pc. Just like the silver 14" ones I had.

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Thanks for all of the replies and support guys. I appreciate all of the advise and insight. I have made some progress on this.

The red-loctite has now been confirmed by several sources. Most hot-rod guys, and also the guy at DMP fasteners in Cali (thanks to Chris-F for the lead!).

In regards to the paint/mating surfaces: Good idea. Don't think this was my problem though. I cleaned all of the bolts and the wheel surface, and the rim/edge prior to reassembly. Each bolt was soaked in carb cleaner for about 6 days, and then individual scrubbed with WD-40 and a wire brush, then polished to a clean finish. Took about 3 hours. I forgot to post pics in the build thread. I'll get the before and afters soon. Also, the red-loctite is still holding up very well. I'm checking the tension at the bolts on each rim daily. No variation thus far. However, I have logged no high speed trips since the incident (all less than 60mph since). So, we'll see what a high speed 15 mile stretch does to them. I'll report here as I move forward. Being very cautious at this point. Sure, I could give up and sell them, but (1) What if the next owner was hurt, I'd feel terrible; (2) I think i can move past this and conquer this issue safely, probably already have; (3) people are re-building MR5's in their backyard daily now. I feel a duty to them to figure this out and document my findings accordingly, in order to help keep all of us safe; (4) the rims just look to awesome to go to different style/set, ha!

Called DMP fastener's in Cali. They can do them, and at a good price to. However, the don't keep our size in stock, and the gentleman said it would be 2-4 weeks before they could be finished and shipped out. However, if you don't mind waiting, you could get nice shiny chrome bolts for 1.40 a piece, all grade-9 tensile strength. Would look awesome. You need 98 bolts for a 14-inch set of MR5's. So, you could completely bling out such a set for $140. You could even do gold-plating. Cali-show some love!!!

I HAVE found a cheap and readily-available bolts source: Peidmont Fasteners, just down the road from me in Troutman, NC. Going by to pick up my 20 bolts this week. They are, unfortunately, black in color (zinc coated). However, I am hopeful that a little wire brushing will match them up nice with my current bolts. These are high-tensile, 12-point, M6 x 1.0 bolts just like the originals. They cost $1.40 each, and they are in-stock. So, got lucky there. I'll post up pics of the bolts soon.

Oh, in regard to the few who have mentioned my comments regarding my faith: It is very encouraging to meet others on this site who share in the love of Jesus! I'm glad that my posts have "fired you up"!

Take care all.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (VEX1250 @ May 26 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also know of another prominent poster on here who IS DISGUSTED at seeing this sticker being repped on "Honda" guy's cars....it's Really a SICK, degrading sign to Any well thought relationship and women in general!

whats so degrading about the shocker? almost every woman i have "dated" loves it.

<-------- definitely not a believer but still cool with you guys

When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (crxls @ May 27 2010, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<-------- definitely not a believer but still cool with you guys

same back to you.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (VEX1250 @ May 26 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Man...if you receive this....NOT to be a goof by Any means...but having been a strong, devout Assemblies of God Christian ALL of my fourty years, you wanna honestly know something....It MIGHT be a good idea for you to Honestly reconsider the choice you've made in Avatar.....I would NEVER have guessed you Meant the above going by looking at your Honestly DISGUSTING avatar...that is if you truly know what it means/indicates.......

Just a friendly/Christian reminder.

I agree OG Wagon. I find your current avatar disgusting, vulgar, and horribly offensive. I DEMAND you change it immediately to the CRX since wagons are places of sin where young unmarried people frequently fornicate. I have found unmarried sinful sex in a CRX requires much more preparation and forethought, whereas the wagon is ripe and ready for the planting of the demon seeds. Thanks to CRXLS for pointing out the ^ quoted post, I completely overlooked it. Anyways, take the sin wagon avatar off, and put the angelic CRX on there. BTW, glad you're okay. There was a lot of different torqure rating I have found, but when I was on H-T was told 25, but no one told me about loctite so I would have most likely died had I ever gotten off my lazy butt to restore mine. If it's any consolation, judging by the pics, the wheels look great. If you find the bolts in a polished state let me know. I may have to replace mine if I can't clean them up. Did you ever get your Mugen decals? The ad has a picture of the mugen catalog which shows the correct position of the decal. If you don't have it, I can PM or email you the catalog pic. I don't recall seeing in the catalogs the silver MR5s having decals. Only the black ones, and MAYBE the anniversary blue and yellow ones.

AndrewSi

• SeeArghh-Ex
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
This is way crazy!!! Glad you and your car(and rim) stayed in one piece! Definite eye opener.

Glad you are okay! smile.gif

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (AndrewSi @ May 27 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is way crazy!!! Glad you and your car(and rim) stayed in one piece! Definite eye opener.

Glad you are okay! smile.gif

Yeah man. Today, I was proctoring an EOG exam (ultra mega boring) and my mind kept drifting to what could have happened. I'm pretty sure the rim (not being able to come OUT of the wheel well, would have come lose and gone IN to the wheel well. It would have (if my imaginative calculations are correct) became lodged in between the LCA and brakes/hub, wedge itself sideways in there, and would have made it impossible for me to steer to the left. It would have been bad. Really bad.

So, grab that Loctite boys, and make sure it is RED!!!!!

QUOTE (ChrisF-dude @ May 27 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree OG Wagon. I find your current avatar disgusting, vulgar, and horribly offensive. I DEMAND you change it immediately to the CRX since wagons are places of sin where young unmarried people frequently fornicate. I have found unmarried sinful sex in a CRX requires much more preparation and forethought, whereas the wagon is ripe and ready for the planting of the demon seeds. Thanks to CRXLS for pointing out the ^ quoted post, I completely overlooked it. Anyways, take the sin wagon avatar off, and put the angelic CRX on there. BTW, glad you're okay. There was a lot of different torqure rating I have found, but when I was on H-T was told 25, but no one told me about loctite so I would have most likely died had I ever gotten off my lazy butt to restore mine. If it's any consolation, judging by the pics, the wheels look great. If you find the bolts in a polished state let me know. I may have to replace mine if I can't clean them up. Did you ever get your Mugen decals? The ad has a picture of the mugen catalog which shows the correct position of the decal. If you don't have it, I can PM or email you the catalog pic. I don't recall seeing in the catalogs the silver MR5s having decals. Only the black ones, and MAYBE the anniversary blue and yellow ones.

LOL Chris, I think he was talking about the other dude with the shocker avatar, ha! Either way, hilarious.

Anyway, yes I did get the stickers. One of them was bogus, and didn't peel right. The others were acting the same way. It was on Saturday morning that I tried to install them (the day of the "incident"). It was a bit cold and humid outside, due to the rain we had had/having. However, I figured I'd give the other 3 one more shot last night. Dry weather and warm. They peeled off great, and I installed them with no hitches. Weird, huh?! Anyway, hopefully the seller will be willing to ship me one more on his costs. I'll get you his contact info, as he shipped super fast, and the decals (once they decided to be decals) look absolutely stunning! Did you get yours yet?!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

ChrisF-dude