Where To Find Normal Suspension Parts In 2021?

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX

I had my car (87 CRX DX) in for tires at a Point S last week, and they said I needed new shocks, springs, basically the whole suspension rebuilt, but they didn't have any parts available and it sounded like they couldn't even order them. 

I'm not sure where to even start trying to source parts. I'm not looking for any crazy racing mods or lowering, just normal shocks and springs and I assume I need bushings and whatnot. I see Heeltoe has some KYB shocks available, are they any good? I had issues with KYB shocks breaking after 10,000 miles on one of my other cars. 

Do I want the Energy bushing kit?

Does anybody make an OEM style spring or do I have to roll the dice with a junkyard replacement?

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!

CSPCRX

First are we talking front or rear?

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip
Definitely the rear but most likely the front too.

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
did a redo on my rear axle 4yrs ago to keep it close to factory. i just bumped the post.... crx ride height and spring rate..... check it out. it’s a starting point. basically shocks and a spacer for the springs. i’d guess parts still available
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
i rebuilt my steering rack and joints. there’s a post on that.

next i’m going to rebuild the front suspension. aftermarket ball joint/arms, kby struts, bushings available if u search. in my case, my front rides too low and the torsion bars r stretched. going to remove the bars and rotate a few teeth to bring ride height back up

parts r available, just need to look. try rock auto. ebay searching w honda part numbers
Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

I struggle to believe the springs are bad unless they are rusted out.  Just no weight back there.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

Thanks, guys. A search for the spring part number on RockAuto didn't return anything but this is the listing for the springs they have for 1.5L 87 Civics: "https://www.rockauto...il spring,7512"  I'm hesitant because none of them specify CRX but do you think any of these cross over? RockAuto doesn't seem to have an option to differentiate between the CRX and other Civics of those years. 

I don't generally carry much freight or even a passenger but my car has 285k miles and I've used it to move stuff a few times, and brought 100 lbs of cat litter home from Costco when it was my daily driver, haha...

Edited by DaraSue, 17 July 2021 - 10:40 AM.

CSPCRX

They should be 4 1/2 diameter and I would be surprised if the were more than 250lb rated.  Not seeing spring rates.  Civic hatch and CRX shared the same springs and shocks in the rear.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

They should be 4 1/2 diameter and I would be surprised if the were more than 250lb rated.  Not seeing spring rates.  Civic hatch and CRX shared the same springs and shocks in the rear.

Ah, good to know. One of the yards here got an 85 Civic so I'm going to see what it has on Tues.

CSPCRX

Only ones that don’t work but share some parts are the 1st gen integra.  The springs are longer.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

I got the springs off that 85 Civic but I ordered the Husky springs from RockAuto too. My springs are a bit rusty so I'd just as soon replace them with better ones as long as I'm messing around back there. I also got the KYB rear struts and mounts & bellows from them and the Energy polyurethane bushing kit. I ordered the front struts & mounts from Heeltoe since Rock only had the left one. We'll see what happens...

CSPCRX

Sounds like you have what you need.  Sure the car will feel more solid after the upgrades.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
good deal!

i wanted oem original. my springs (265k) were rusty from living in michigan and nyc salt. after 33 years , rear sagged like and inch or more. i pulled a set of springs from a clean texas 150k car and using those now. the 150k springs sagged an inch too. so i used the special spacer to lift the car back to spec

i wanted japanese metal, so i decided to go w the used150k springs instead of new aftermarket. i didn’t feel comfortable that aftermarket would match the crx spring rate since it was one part number that claimed to cover several other honda models

at some point a spring will fail after so many bounce cycles. another reason the 150ks were better than my rusty 265ks

thnx for keeping us updated
Keepin' it OEM

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

Still waiting on the front shocks but I had the rear shocks and springs installed last week and the rear is definitely less droopy now. I tried to do it myself but couldn't break the lower bolts loose and ended up throwing in the towel and taking it to a shop. They had to cut the bolts loose with a torch so I feel like I made the right decision leaving it to a pro. :o I used the Husky springs and kept the junkyard ones as a backup, no issues with the fit AFAIK. 

CSPCRX

Awesome,  man they must have not been removed in a long time.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily