Imo: Facebook Sucks And It's A Crappy Format For Rpr-Related Conte

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage

Strictly from a format point of view, it's junk for a car club and related activities/information. 

I've not owned a 1/3g in the last ~4-5 years so I've not been very active but I'll never not be a pepper and I'd like to maintain the community for the long-lasting institution that's been built.

Facebook is disposable, superficial, and generally ill-suited for the retention and useful organization of specialized information pertaining to 1/3g's and the community that came up around it. I'm not getting into any of the political/polarizing social issues on the subject here, fb is just a shit format in general.

No, I'm not suggesting that everyone abandon the fb group; I'm just advocating for people to treat it as a supplement or a phoph gallery exchange rather than the main avenue for rpr content as it seems to be lately.

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

I don't face plant, so I have no knowledge of the site...this is home...

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

/\ /\ /\ /\

Amen to what he said!!

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
sup zack!

welcome back to texas! bp told me last week.

i’ve never done fb, i have no opinion
Keepin' it OEM

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thanks, it feels... like traffic ;)

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
I agree, facebook sucks, it's not a place to store knowlege

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

I use both. Only reason I like Facebook is because there's more of an immediate response since mostly everyone is there now. Not so great for looking up information, but can be helpful. I prefer the forum for information and write-up's. I do wish the site loaded faster and was a bit smoother. 

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Facebook I have. All that instagram and snap stuff I have no knowledge. Seems " faster and easier" has taken over forums. I still drop in here time to time.

thebigsleaze

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 crx dx CDMAF, 2004 Ram 3500 5.9, 1999 Sierra HD workmobile, others.
    • Image Gallery
I tried to find redpepper racing on Facebook, didn't happen.

It also didn't hurt my feelings much because I really loathe Facebook. I used to use it more, but most of the the people I know, used to know, and others have so much stupid $%&+ to say that about the only thing I keep it around for are the classifieds.

The worst thing you can do to yourself is post something for sale on the classifieds. Dumb, repetitive questions you already answered in the original ad that f'book people can't be bothered to both read and comprehend. Fools.

Social media on the whole is a bit of a conundrum. I personally don't give a rat's arse if random people "like" what I do, or "follow" the stupid $%&+ I feel the need to say online, such as this post.

It has the power to connect people almost instantaneously in times of need or a disaster situation, however it also has the ability to enable so very much hate and ignorance to be directed as through a magnifying glass at the vulnerable (your or my kids, etc.).

Real forums are where the good stuff is.

Facebook is good for extremely fleeting information, boobs, and fake news. There are better sources for all 3.

$.02

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but see my post in the News section: http://www.redpepper...showtopic=59369

Having said that, I do have a Sub-Reddit (that I'd prefer to use, myself) here: https://www.reddit.c...erracingdotcom/

I just realized you own https://www.reddit.c...redpepperracingwhich I'd prefer...

"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I hadn't realized you made a sub but yours has... what's that stuff called? Ah yes, 'effort.' looks good.

If you'd like to merge subs, or do anything else you'd like, you're welcome to do with it what you will; I see it as being an extension of the rpr brand that you own.

I think there might be a way to forward traffic from one sub to another. Either way, it seems best to consolidate under one banner if having a subreddit backup is a goal.

How are you planning to host next time around? I always wonder about setting up a homebrew server setup if I ever got another swing at a proper gigabit ISP. Good, fast hardware is getting cheap.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I have the horsepower and speed to host it at home, but it's against the T&C of my ISP (who I work for) so I'd rather not go down that road. I am going to start with looking at AWS or GCP, if that doesn't look promising I'll probably go back to a virtual host, just at a cheaper rate than the current one.

As for the subreddit, I've updated the theme a bit so it's a little more eye pleasing, but I haven't added any content. I don't want to put too much effort into it as it should be temporary, although for the reddit die-hards (like myself) it may pick up some steam.

"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I've also been engrossed by Reddit's influence over the past few years.

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

I just signed up to to reddit. I didn't have an account before, and I subscribed to rpr's thread/forum/ whatever it's called. 

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

One of us! One of us!