• You cannot reply to this topic
45 replies to this topic

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
Ok, the engine is put back together and back on its mounts under the hood. Hope to finish up under the hood next week see if it fires up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery
Can't wait to see this car finished. One of the coolest cars on here.

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Thanks Ballade!, I got the motor in last night and started up around 11pm!!!  Still had no radiator or hoses at that time so I only let it idle for about 30 seconds but all seemed well.  After that I replaced the front drivers brake caliper and finished the front brake job with brembo rotors from rockauto and cheap duralast brake pads for now.  Then it was on to the rear brakes,  I lucked out with getting the drums turned because it would not fit on the brake lathe at my job.  We had just hired a new guy and he was able to take the drums to his old job and turn them for me.  The main issue with rear brakes was the wheel cylinders that would not bleed, or let any brake fluid them at all so they were replaced.  Had trouble with the brake line nut to the drivers wheel cylinder so the small metal line and old cylinder is with me at work today to remove then back home tonight to quickly install and test drive!

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery

Wow she's alive!!

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Very bitter sweet. After running for 2-3 minutes the coolant leaks appeared... First some putty epoxy for a radiator leak then I can pressure test the system to find the other. Still no driving as of yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Well ok, everything is looking good so far.  I used JB weld's "Water Weld" on the radiators filler neck and it worked fantastic.  After the epoxy dried and a coolant refill/bleed the other leak has mysteriously stopped... May have been the lower radiator hose at the block.  While the radiator was out I cleaned the inside of the hoses of the rust and corrosion/rust from the fittings.  With new clamps as well leaks seem to be taken care of.  Then the car was overheating while the lower hose would not get hot so it was new thermostat time!  And while I was at it the squealing alternator belt was replaced as well.  So then finally the driving commenced!  With the engine running well I decided to tackle the inoperative headlamps.  The previous owner said he believed the switch was at fault and a quick check there was no voltage at the connector while the tag/tail lights work just fine.  Not sure if the switch is to blame but I just figured for now I would run a relay to a switch on the dash, which the old owner had cut a hole for a the fog light switch he installed.  So for now I get to turn the lights on with the toggle switch and the tail lights with the normal switch.  So after all this I've now driven it a few miles and there is still plenty to do.  The brakes need a much better bleeding done, the front bumper and fenders are still off, I'll need a better solution for the shift linkage(I've see a few discussions on here about that) and now the coolant gauge isn't working which I think is causing the pgmfi light to come on.  Oh yea and I got the insurance on it and got the black tag taken off so when the weather turns around here I will attempt some daily drives for work.

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Sorry for the absence on here!  I've had a vacation to Florida since my last post, so not alot of money for the car. I have done a few more things to it. I was able to clean up/polish the lips of my wheels finally! They aren't perfect but I think it adds a cool look to them with the centers still having patina.

IMG_0458_zpsda9e71fc.jpg

The torsion bars got re-indexed and the front end is a little bit lower.  I really need stiffer torsion bars but if I drive careful it doesn't bottom out all the time. I'm looking to get a spare set of rear springs to cut and see if I like the cheap rear lowering, but still have normal ones to go back too.

IMG_0457_zpsc3fdf441.jpg

I've put 2000 miles on it so far and no major issues, I need to replace the synchros in the transmission and get a new clutch. So for now I baby it pretty good. Still its getting me 36 MPG and has not left me stranded so I still love it!

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

I was able to go to a car show at our local drag strip, Import Face Off if anyone has heard of it. So here is a few pics and videos. Sorry for the crappy camera work, my wife was not able to come out and take pictures like we wanted. Better ones from her soon I hope!

Friend of a friends 86 Integra on the left, my baby in the middle and a friends 86 Toyota Cressida with a 7M-GTE swap on the right

IMG_0447_zps8ddaa882.jpg

IMG_0446Edited_zps82fdff61.jpg

Here is a cruddy video, no sound cuz it was all wind anyways

Edited by DuallDude, 17 April 2014 - 10:31 PM.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Were there a lot of people interested in your car?

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
My 1st car show for me to show my own so hard to judge "a lot" but I had people consistently asking about it. I even had a very large offer to sell it but the guy never contacted me again. But i think the people who really knew what it was may have swayed me to not modify it and just restore. So instead of the B16, I think I'm going to fix the body kit and paint 1st! Edit: Or maybe B16 after the paint, I still really want a quick daily driver... so in time we will see Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DuallDude, 21 April 2014 - 01:27 PM.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Sounds like a lot to me! :)  Yes, PLEASE restore and not modify.  Your car will be, if it is not already, a collectors item.  I look forward to seeing what you do with the car.

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Long time coming, I was finally able to attend an autocross/solo event.  I drove 120 miles to Tulsa OK, ran 8 heats and drove home, gosh dang I love my lil rex!

I know this is off topic for my project but I wanted to share, here is a video of one of my best times, although I hit a cone towards the end.

My car raced the same way it is daily driven, with my CF-48 wheels on cheap as heck 175/70 tires, I've re-indexed the front torsion bars down one notch, not sure how much of a drop I got from it.  I've cut 2 coils from the rear springs, dropped only about a half inch on both sides, I used different/newer springs from a fellow member and at first I cut 1 coil and installed them only to find the car raised up about half an inch hehe.  Still have the spare parts "cold air" intake and no muffler.  Thats about it.  I think I did ok for my first time in a competition setting.  Had no competition really because no one else was in my class(STS), and in that class I would not be competitive due to the large number of modifications I do not have.  Anywho please enjoy my attempt at a good time, in the event and for my own enjoyment.

BTW I've done some cosmetic things to the interior, wheels and body which I will try to share soon.

Edited by DuallDude, 09 June 2014 - 09:41 PM.

DuallDude

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Wow, I did not know what slow play was when I started this thread! Long time no post and I'm the only one to blame. I use the lame excuse of life(work, sleep, kid, school). I am currently taking steps to install a D16Y8 but only if I can do so without modifying the car in any way that cannot be undone. I have already removed the complete drive train from a 98 Civic EX and have figured the wiring down to a few grounds and power wires to allow the engine that allow it to run on the floor of my job. This will allow me to use simple relayed switches inside the car to start the engine and the ignition key will only unlock the steering wheel. I have opted for the Hasport mounts in hope they will ease the process of actually getting the motor in and running. Planning on Hasport or Innovative cable to hydro clutch adapter, adaptation of both vehicles axles(if possible) and modification of the Civics shifter to fit the CRX. Again I absolutely do not want to cause any unnecessary changes to the CRX body just for this engine. The drive train parts that come out of this chassis will be kept in order to return its stockness if needed. It was a battle to just find the funds for the mounts and I am not sure about the cost of modifying the axles. I hope the slowness will become more speedy and I want to share my actual install of this setup in the car. So bump to my way too long forgotten thread with hopes to have it running by spring for some autocross fun.

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

Did you ever get it painted? I would love to see pictures of where it sits as of now. Keep on pushing! 

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Any particular reason why you decided to do a swap?  I would imagine your car would have more value if you were able to keep the drive train stock and maybe even add Mugen parts to it.  Glad to hear your still working on it!