Weber Install - Cut Thrittle Cable End?

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

RyanM923

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members

Ok, I have been cleaning out my engine bay doing the devac, and am installing a new Weber K726 like so many on here have.  Here is a picture of my stock throttle cable:

throttle02_zps8554d050.jpg

And I need to fit in through this hole in the linkage on the Weber:

throttle01_zps8a5fb7c9.jpg

Do you guys just cut the end bar off the stock throttle cable and try to feed it through the hole?  Is there any easier way to do this that I am just missing?

Andrew_as

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 85 Civic DX Hatch
    Garage View Garage
I cut mine off then had to snip a few pieces of braiding to get it to fit. It wasnt very easy.

RyanM923

• Granny
  • Pip

Yeah it looks like a pain.  Thanks for the info.  I noticed a guy here at rpr that used his old stock linkage and made it work with the new Weber, I'm going to see if I can do this, should be the easiest.

http://www.redpepper...ic=36002&page=2

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Also at Lowe's they sell something called a Ferrule in the hardware section for cables. You can cut you throttle cable end off and install one of these. I didn't like what the weber kit came with either but I did use it. I also didn't like the super long carb throttle cable and was thinking that it could maybe either be shortened or maybe a cable from a fuel injection car could be used. Pay attention to the pedal end of the cable if you look for another cable. There are 2 styles I've found honda used for +15 year maybe more. The carb/TB end is always the same though. This was a very fun and cheap set up and I really regret getting rid of that car. Even though it was running too rich I still averaged 32 mpgs.

RyanM923

• Granny
  • Pip

The pics that Mercury posted in the thread I linked to where he used the stock linkage with the Weber carb...how in the world did he do that?  My stock linkage's mounting hole is a good bit too small to fit onto the new truncated bolt coming out of the Weber.  I saw his pics and was really optimistic that I could use the old linkage, but now I just don't see how it's possible.

Has anyone used the old linkage with these?  if so, how?

RyanM923

• Granny
  • Pip

Well, cut the cable got the cab inatalled, I forgot to hook up a vacuum line to the vacuum advance so it didn't start at first. Once I got that taken care of it started right up, but rpms went up quickly. Going to have to assess it tomorrow and see what I'm doing wrong.  I assume there are just some vacuum leaks that I haven't taken care of.

atomichack3r

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic
How did you finally install the throttle cable at the linkage? The bolt that holds the cable at the linkage bolt is wiggly on my setup, is yours?

WhereIsMyWrench

I would not cut off the cable end. I modified my factory linkage like Mercury did but noticed that even when adjusting the throttle cable out as far as I could the carb butterflies wouldn't open all the way. 

I used a piece of aluminum cut to the same dimensions as the bracket that came with the Weber and drilled three holes in it. Two for bolts to go between the two and one to hold the cable stop at the end of the throttle cable. I then just bolted a small rectangular spacer between the two for the cable to sit in. It works great. 

If I can find the time this weekend I can take some pictures of it. It might not help so much now since you have already cut the cable. 

Edited by WhereIsMyWrench, 03 December 2014 - 08:17 AM.

atomichack3r

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So in other words you have two linkages? Setup like linkage/cable/linkage? If you're looking at the front of the car.

atomichack3r

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
And I haven't cut my cable yet lol someone told me I could just lay the cable between the truncated shoulder but and the end nut and be fine

WhereIsMyWrench

Yes. You will have the pizza linkage that came with your carb. It's the one with like 6 holes in it in the picture. Then a spacer that is not as tall, and finally a linkage piece that is similar to the pizza linkage. The cable will lay on the spacer and the cable end will sandwich between the pizza linkage and the new piece.

Make sure the spacer is thick enough so that the cable does not bind between the pizza and new linkage when you tighten them together.

I removed the pizza linkage to match the three holes that I drilled in the new linkage piece and the two holes that I drilled in the spacer. Two bolts go through the bottom two holes in the pizza, spacer, and new linkage piece to hold it all together. One hole is drilled in the new linkage piece so the cable end can sandwich between the pizza linkage and new linkage. 

Ensuring the cable end is secure is imperative. So you want a spacer that is thick enough so that the cable doesn't bind and also thin enough to allow the cable end to snugly fit in the holes between the pizza linkage and the new linkage piece. I think I used 1/8th inch thick aluminum but can't remember exactly. 

Again, I will try to take better pictures this weekend.

See my crappy picture below. (Sorry. I'm at work and made this in paint over the course of 2 and a half minutes.)

crappythrottlelinkage_zpse5634599.jpg