DaraSue's Content

There have been 12 items by DaraSue (Search limited from 25-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#580431 Where To Find Normal Suspension Parts In 2021?

Posted by DaraSue on 02 August 2021 - 11:16 AM in 1G CRX

Still waiting on the front shocks but I had the rear shocks and springs installed last week and the rear is definitely less droopy now. I tried to do it myself but couldn't break the lower bolts loose and ended up throwing in the towel and taking it to a shop. They had to cut the bolts loose with a torch so I feel like I made the right decision leaving it to a pro. :o I used the Husky springs and kept the junkyard ones as a backup, no issues with the fit AFAIK. 

#580425 Where To Find Normal Suspension Parts In 2021?

Posted by DaraSue on 20 July 2021 - 03:39 PM in 1G CRX

I got the springs off that 85 Civic but I ordered the Husky springs from RockAuto too. My springs are a bit rusty so I'd just as soon replace them with better ones as long as I'm messing around back there. I also got the KYB rear struts and mounts & bellows from them and the Energy polyurethane bushing kit. I ordered the front struts & mounts from Heeltoe since Rock only had the left one. We'll see what happens...

#580423 Where To Find Normal Suspension Parts In 2021?

Posted by DaraSue on 18 July 2021 - 10:56 AM in 1G CRX

They should be 4 1/2 diameter and I would be surprised if the were more than 250lb rated.  Not seeing spring rates.  Civic hatch and CRX shared the same springs and shocks in the rear.

Ah, good to know. One of the yards here got an 85 Civic so I'm going to see what it has on Tues.

#580421 Where To Find Normal Suspension Parts In 2021?

Posted by DaraSue on 17 July 2021 - 10:39 AM in 1G CRX

Thanks, guys. A search for the spring part number on RockAuto didn't return anything but this is the listing for the springs they have for 1.5L 87 Civics: "https://www.rockauto...il spring,7512"  I'm hesitant because none of them specify CRX but do you think any of these cross over? RockAuto doesn't seem to have an option to differentiate between the CRX and other Civics of those years. 

I don't generally carry much freight or even a passenger but my car has 285k miles and I've used it to move stuff a few times, and brought 100 lbs of cat litter home from Costco when it was my daily driver, haha...

#580416 Where To Find Normal Suspension Parts In 2021?

Posted by DaraSue on 16 July 2021 - 05:32 PM in 1G CRX

Definitely the rear but most likely the front too.

#580413 Where To Find Normal Suspension Parts In 2021?

Posted by DaraSue on 16 July 2021 - 11:38 AM in 1G CRX

I had my car (87 CRX DX) in for tires at a Point S last week, and they said I needed new shocks, springs, basically the whole suspension rebuilt, but they didn't have any parts available and it sounded like they couldn't even order them. 

I'm not sure where to even start trying to source parts. I'm not looking for any crazy racing mods or lowering, just normal shocks and springs and I assume I need bushings and whatnot. I see Heeltoe has some KYB shocks available, are they any good? I had issues with KYB shocks breaking after 10,000 miles on one of my other cars. 

Do I want the Energy bushing kit?

Does anybody make an OEM style spring or do I have to roll the dice with a junkyard replacement?

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!

#580240 85 Hf Fuel Tank Assembly- Crossover To 87 Dx?

Posted by DaraSue on 17 December 2020 - 10:14 AM in 1G CRX

First test drive yesterday! Whatever that piece was, I guess it wasn't important because the car seemed to run fine, or at least no worse than it did before :) Thanks for your help!

#580232 85 Hf Fuel Tank Assembly- Crossover To 87 Dx?

Posted by DaraSue on 10 December 2020 - 10:17 AM in 1G CRX

Oh yeah, I know the thing you're talking about, the filter on the end of the larger hard line (plastic bit with a cloth sock on the end). That's still there and seems sturdily attached. The thing I'm talking about is a cylinder about 1" long by 3/4" diameter, foam on the outside with a plastic tube in the center that has some small openings on one end and seems to fit on the end of the smaller hard line. (I'm assuming that's where it goes, I got the pickup and fuel gauge sender back from the shop in a plastic bag and that piece was just in there loose.) Let's see if this link works: https://i.imgur.com/bKqgGqr.jpg

I can't actually find any reference to this thing in the parts diagrams online or in the manual so I just decided to ditch it. When I stuck a scope in my original tank, it didn't appear to be there at all so I'm assuming it was something that was done away with between 1985 and 1987. 

I finally was able to get the retaining rings tight, just had to do a little more hammering. There was another small bump on them prior to the tab, and that was hitting the tabs on the tank so I couldn't get enough force on it with just the wrench. 

#580230 85 Hf Fuel Tank Assembly- Crossover To 87 Dx?

Posted by DaraSue on 08 December 2020 - 07:17 PM in 1G CRX

Getting ready to put the new tank,  but I'm having trouble reinstalling the pipe unit and sender. (They were removed when the tank was refurbished). I'm able to turn the retainer about halfway using this tool from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfr...ench-36554.html but I can't get it to tighten to the stops by hand and when I try to use the hammer-and-screwdriver method the filter falls off the end of the small line on the pipe unit. (I tried to post a pic but I guess we can't use imgur here? It's a little foam cylinder with a plastic center, kind of orange-yellow in color). 

Is there a trick to getting it to stay on? Is it absolutely vital to have it in there?

Edit: If I'm interpreting the diagrams correctly, the line with the foam piece on the end is the return line.

#580210 85 Hf Fuel Tank Assembly- Crossover To 87 Dx?

Posted by DaraSue on 15 November 2020 - 02:34 PM in 1G CRX

All the ones I have ever removed came out with a small hammer and big flathead.  Tapped it around until it came off.

All right, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

#580208 85 Hf Fuel Tank Assembly- Crossover To 87 Dx?

Posted by DaraSue on 14 November 2020 - 10:58 AM in 1G CRX

Tanks from carbureted cars should be the same.  the strapping points are all under there for either FI or carbed cars. The pickups are on these types.  You could swap the pickup from your tank to the new one if it looks different so it attaches right up.

Cool, thanks! Do I actually need the $100 Honda sender wrench to get the various units in and out or is it possible to do it with normal tools?

#580205 85 Hf Fuel Tank Assembly- Crossover To 87 Dx?

Posted by DaraSue on 13 November 2020 - 01:37 PM in 1G CRX

My 87 CRX fuel tank has some pretty bad rust. I found a decent fuel tank assembly but it's off an 85 HF. HondaPartsNow says the tank and pipe/meter/strainer units don't fit the 87 DX, but they look nearly identical. Are they actually not compatible or is it just saying that because they're different part numbers?