What Bearings To Use On Rebuild?

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

Dc2Wpr

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX HF, 1995 Acura Integra
Getting ready to rebuild the engine for my 86 CRX dx. It will be track day and Auto-x only. I bought the car with bad engine so I am reusing head(SI) and I got a fresh from shop block(d15a3)ready to go. I was going to put in a set of ACL bearings but from I can see they don't make them for these cars. So what Bearings have you guys used for competition Rebuilds?

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
I'm not sure what's available for the EW (I run an A1) but I installed some eBay Kings in mine. $40 for rods and mains. They actually plasigaged wider than the 247,000 mile factory Honda bearings at about .002. Good oil and pressure is key and not the bearing material. In theory, they should never touch. I've ran mine 200 miles at 5500 to 7000 rpm's (quite a bit at fuel cut...) and no noise yet. I did shim the pump and run sorta ridiculous high pressure. Cold and at rpm it will peg my gauge (100psi). But it works.

I researched King's quality and read good things so I'm not afraid of them.

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

No clue who made mine, but they came with the Clegg kit I got off ebay.  They've lasted ~2-3k miles so far, with probably 1/8 being hard.  If they failed now or in the near future, I'd blame myself for assembling wrong.  

If you're just using it for a track car, install a pressure gauge and rip it.  You'll either catch things before it's too late or have to regrind/replace the crank and rebuild for pennies.  I say you should get the cheapest bearings you can find, test them and let us know how they work out!  

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Agree. The Kings were the cheapest I found. Like $18 for rods and $22 for mains. I'm curious what they look like right now but not willing to inspect. IF I get the head ported and polished on my backup, I will get to look at the bearings. I'm putting some Kings in the backup also.

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx

I run whatever bearings, cheapo oil, polished crank, stock pump,accusump and arp rod bolts. Its better to run Honda bearings, but you will have to hire a detective to find them. I break in with Dino oil, then switch to synthetic mid season. Dave

sedanman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx dx 88 sedan 93 sedan
I agree with the others on this site get the cheapest bearings possible its how their assembled and clearenced that matters. I got some clevites for my last ew motor just cause they were on ebay

But have also used jis bearings from jis in arlington tx lookem up if your close
Billy

Dc2Wpr

• Granny
  • Pip

Thanks for the reply's, So you guys think cheap bearings are the way to go, That is all I have been able to find so far anyway. I guess they are like everything else for these cars, Hard to find. I don't know much about the stock engines in these cars. From what I can tell mine is a SI block ( old block in car was a DX block) and head but is set up to run a stock looking carb. 

I also need a new oil pump, Rings and Gasket kit. Anything special I should consider on these? Are the arp rod bolts a good idea and what is part number? Are the Dx pistons better than SI ones compression wise? Sorry for all the questions, I know this is where I can get answers though.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

Research here goes a long way.  Any pix of your setup?  I didn't mess with the EW very much but (if I understand correctly and you do have a Si head and block with a carb) it has a Canadian intake?  Someone here will correct me.  Trying to help but im not an EW/D15 guy.  The FSM shows how to check your oil pump for wear.  I'm also a cheap gasket guy (but Felpro H/G).

Dc2Wpr

• Granny
  • Pip
I have pics. I'm not sure how to post them on here though. The intake has been modified. Some of the holes have been welded over. Everything I find on eBay is for ew1 or d15b. My block is a d15a3. I'm not changing anything on the head besides a new head gasket.Are the bottom ends the same between Dx and SI besides pistons?

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx

The DX and Si blocks are the same, except pistons and the Si has a heat exchanger under the oil filter, Dave