• You cannot reply to this topic
44 replies to this topic

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx si

I have a 87 Honda civic dx, so yes it is carbed and yes it is 5 speed
My plan was just to do a simple head gasket job, but so far all ive been able to take off is the carb and some vacuum lines, I have also unbolted the exhaust manifold from both the head and the downpipe but have not been able to get either side off or even to move a bit, so than I took off all the headbolts and the timing belt, still cant get the head off, I took off that 10 mm bolt that holds the intake manifold to the block by the bracket that is behind the block

I even hooked up a chain to the exhaust manifold with a cherry picker and to try to break the head loose from the block and all it did was raise the whole engine not just the head I did a Hg on my old 87 crx and it was not this hard at all

I will upload pics asap but If someone can chime in and help me out it would be much appreciated thank you

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

IMG_5431_zpsab38d3fb.jpg

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

IMG_5521_zps397e47cb.jpg

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

_MG_18732_zps94e191a9.jpg

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

_MG_18742_zps1dd4b938.jpg

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

IMG_5522_zps9cd0d11b.jpg

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

Im thinking bout doing a devac after I get the head to the machine shop but first I need to get the head off so if anyone can tell me what I missed lmk!

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx

Take the intake manifold loose and pull it back off the studs, so you can get the head off. Pull the radiator, and take the exhaust manifold off, it has a couple of bolts into the block. The bolts might be in the cat, but you can figure it out with the radiator off, Dave 

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

Ive taking the nuts off the exhaust manifold and the four nuts from the downpipe , but your still saying thats theres more bolts/nuts that go to the block because I dont see them

and when I did the si head I left the intake manifold on its diffrent with the dx?

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I have a dx that had a cat, and I had to pull the radiator to get the exhaust manifold off. As for the the intake, I don't think it matters how you do it, so long as you get the back brace loose, Dave

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

well Ill get that radator out tomorrow, wanna flush it out anyways, Im having trouble even getting it to move at all tho

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

So I have fully removed the exhaust and made sure the bottom backet from the intake to the block was off too, its a 14mm bolt

The intake is still hooked up, is that really why the head wont come off?

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

photo2_zps3f856a16.jpg

I have removed the two 12mm nuts

I just wanna take the head to the machine shop and drive this bad boy, coolant did leak out when I took off the head bolts but that’s as far as the head came off its like the last person used cement

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

When I pull the head on my car, I always take the intake and exhaust manifold off before I pull the head, hey, it all has to come off anyway, Dave

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip

Have you pulled the head on a dx civic before? Ive undone the vacuum lines,fuel lines, carb, all exhaust piping and brackets , the head bolts and nuts and taken the radiator hoses out and taken off the timing belt, ive also removed the intake mani bracket in the back, can anyone think of something ive missed