Psychology

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

myheadhertz

• Some days it isn't worth gnawing thru the leather straps
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '91 CRX si, '66 Datsun SPL311, '87 CRX turbo under construction
There's a street that is being repaired. The street is two lanes in each direction. There is a construction trench that runs across all 4 lanes. The city replaces the gravel in the trench every morning, but by afternoon, most of the gravel has been slung out of the trench by the passing cars. By late afternoon, the trench turns into a deep rut. There are signs along the road warning of the "bump ahead". Some drivers (like me) slow down to around 10 mph when going into the deep rut. But, many drivers cut around the slowed cars and hit the rut at 40 mph+. I can hear the car suspensions bottoming out as they hit the rut. Why would someone wreck their suspension and wheels to save 3 seconds of drive time? Unbelievable, but I have seen this happen there every day this week! I swear, the I.Q. of car drivers has fallen to a new low!

85Beater

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: cars he can pay cash for!
People who have no idea as to the actual workings of the car probably dont mentally visualize all the stuff thats getting mauled by that bottoming out. To them its just a momentary grinding/thump sound. Those of us who know how to car is put together, however, compose a mental picture of LCA's, subframes, and potentially even oil pans slamming their heart out onto large chunks of unforgiving asphalt, Titanic style.

On a note however, my brother hit a larger than should have been hit gravel area in his 89 Corolla putting a decent size dent in the bottom of the transmission pan. The car instantly shifted stronger and felt like it had a little more pep... we call it the high pressure tranny mod... lol.
1987 CRX DX - Devacced, excellent interior, runs perfect, the fun car.
Note: 1G CRX's are not durable against late model motorcycles...

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Bone stock except for Brembo rotors and upgraded pads

85Beater's Vouch Thread

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
Every time my car hits a pot hole or scratches against something I always let a scream of pain... people around me are like what is wrong with you I am like... It hurts when something happens to my baby.

duner

• What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
this really isnt about pot-holes but still in-line with the way ppl drive:

The AFB (Air Force Base) i work at is isolated out of town about 15 miles. There is no housing on base and most ppl live in town and commute EAST to get there.

The primary road to get there is a 2 lane (1 for each direction) the entire way execpt for one spot. There is one large hill to go up while traveling east (affectionately known as garbage hill due to the landfill and 3 junkyards there) and the eastbound gets a passing lane for about a mile in length.

What i dont understand is that since most of the 5,000+ people who work there will be taking this road in the morning, will ride the ass of a slow car ahead of them and not pass when no cars are coming (no passing lane areas) and are content to drive at 55mph. but as soon as they hit this hill and passing lane, its pedal to the metal and 6000 rpms to pass from 1-10 cars. BUT, here is another thing. the person that was at the front of the line holding everyone else up will also floor it so they dont get passed blink.gif

why i find all of this to be retarted and just plain dumb is that the cars that go flying by are stopped at the gate and maybe gain 5 seconds on you in the parking lot. plus i usually make it into the building first since i will take the first open spot i see, even if it is in the back while they spend 5 minutes driving around looking for the closest spot laugh.gif

sorry for the hi-jack and being so long-winded
Living the Air Force Dream!

Vouch Thread

d15a3power

QUOTE (myheadhertz @ May 2 2008, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a street that is being repaired. The street is two lanes in each direction. There is a construction trench that runs across all 4 lanes. The city replaces the gravel in the trench every morning, but by afternoon, most of the gravel has been slung out of the trench by the passing cars. By late afternoon, the trench turns into a deep rut. There are signs along the road warning of the "bump ahead". Some drivers (like me) slow down to around 10 mph when going into the deep rut. But, many drivers cut around the slowed cars and hit the rut at 40 mph+. I can hear the car suspensions bottoming out as they hit the rut. Why would someone wreck their suspension and wheels to save 3 seconds of drive time? Unbelievable, but I have seen this happen there every day this week! I swear, the I.Q. of car drivers has fallen to a new low!

Like my stbx-wife, they probably don't actually pay for the car or the repairs!

Also IQ is supplanted by agression in some cases...
May thru November only.
Rust never sleeps.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think its because they want to say "HA my car is tougher than yours!!"

Sgt. Pepper

QUOTE (duner @ May 2 2008, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The AFB (Air Force Base) i work at

Wait, you work at an Air Force base? In Colorado? Colorado Springs? The Academy?

Anyways, most drivers don't take care of their cars or even understand the inner workings of an automobile. Most people are more interested in getting from point A to point B in a hurry regardless of the toll it takes on their car. They don't worry about car repairs/maintenance until something goes wrong. "I need a new what?!, It's gonna cost me how much?! This car's a piece of crap!" No, your driving is crap.
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Most people now think of cars as they did toasters in the 80s, disposable.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

CarolinaCRX

• But Honey, these little cars keep following me home!!
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX/HF 5spd-Restoration almost finished, 1986 CRX DX 5spd, and other vehicles/toys
QUOTE (duner @ May 2 2008, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The AFB (Air Force Base) i work at is isolated out of town about 15 miles. There is no housing on base and most ppl live in town and commute EAST to get there.

The primary road to get there is a 2 lane (1 for each direction) the entire way execpt for one spot. There is one large hill to go up while traveling east (affectionately known as garbage hill due to the landfill and 3 junkyards there) and the eastbound gets a passing lane for about a mile in length.

What i dont understand is that since most of the 5,000+ people who work there will be taking this road in the morning, will ride the ass of a slow car ahead of them and not pass when no cars are coming (no passing lane areas) and are content to drive at 55mph. but as soon as they hit this hill and passing lane, its pedal to the metal and 6000 rpms to pass from 1-10 cars. BUT, here is another thing. the person that was at the front of the line holding everyone else up will also floor it so they dont get passed blink.gif

why i find all of this to be retarted and just plain dumb is that the cars that go flying by are stopped at the gate and maybe gain 5 seconds on you in the parking lot. plus i usually make it into the building first since i will take the first open spot i see, even if it is in the back while they spend 5 minutes driving around looking for the closest spot laugh.gif

sorry for the hi-jack and being so long-winded

I think it is a game called "Leader of the pack" and it is played on dirt roads around here.........
Every day of life is a gift...........live it that way.

myheadhertz

• Some days it isn't worth gnawing thru the leather straps
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '91 CRX si, '66 Datsun SPL311, '87 CRX turbo under construction
QUOTE (RARECRX @ May 2 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think its because they want to say "HA my car is tougher than yours!!"

I think you are right!

Now, there are 3 ditches across all 4 lanes about 100' apart. Things have gotten totally insane!
Yesterday, I followed a Silverado dually 4x4 through the construction. To my surprise, the Silverado slowed to about 10 mph. (Guess he didn't want to loose the fillings in his teeth.) As we were going over the ditches, SUV's were passing us in the right lane at 40 mph. I have seen cars actually speed up to blow my doors off going through the construction. These are the same idiots that think driving fast on ice proves they have superior driving skills.

I'm going to find a different route - or maybe this subject is worthy of a utube video.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (duner @ May 2 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BUT, here is another thing. the person that was at the front of the line holding everyone else up will also floor it so they dont get passed blink.gif

This is the part that pisses me off. I couldn't care less about getting around the people that drive at a reasonable pace, but I DO try to pass the SUVs and Vans doing 30 in a 70 zone because 40 is the "suggested" speed (for trucks, in danger of tipping!) I understand slowing down in the corners, but you don't need to go 30, 50 is more than enough to make a safe turn in almost any passenger vehicle.

The annoying thing is that these things are usually armed with 260+HP 280ft-lb engines which haul those SUVs up the hills the passing lanes are always on. Suddenly, when there's a passing lane, they are flooring it to 40-60 over the speed limit? I just can't overtake them in my four banger. THIS is the reason I want a turbo.

I don't want to street race, I just want to be able to pass a car on an uphill. I can out-corner most that want to try to keep up as it is, I just need a bit more umf on the straight smile.gif

(Edit: Note, rant speeds are in KPH)