Digital Dash

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Does the Digital dash display MPH also? How hard is it for some of you New Zealand guys to find these dashes? I think im giong to install one along with the blacktop D16. I just found out they have the VSS lol.

Thanks,

Joseph

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX (Straman Convertable) 87 CRX Si 91 CRX
QUOTE (Stuckey85si @ Dec 10 2007, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the Digital dash display MPH also?

No...no option for MPH...speedometer and odometer are in Kilometer

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
wonder if there is a way to convert it....
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (staticchmbr @ Dec 10 2007, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wonder if there is a way to convert it....

I have been thinking about that...I'll get back to you

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (SEEKERone @ Dec 10 2007, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been thinking about that...I'll get back to you

i found converters on ebay, but i wonder if they work.. put speedo converters in the search ..they come from the UK for $40 plus
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

AllGo

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: EDM '86 AS CRX, B16A2, P30
QUOTE (staticchmbr @ Dec 11 2007, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i found converters on ebay, but i wonder if they work.. put speedo converters in the search ..they come from the UK for $40 plus

They will work, used them a couple of times already smile.gif.
EDM AS CRX - B16A2 engine - Y2 gearbox - P30 ecu - more coming

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (AllGo @ Dec 11 2007, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The issue is twofold....

First, the speed sensor itself is part of the cluster assembly.
The drive unit containing the sensor is driven by the speedometer cable
There is minimal wiring for the converter in between the sensor and the digital display .
The signal is relatively weak so the amount of distance to the converter can't be too long or the signal will be lost
Not alot of room for error when you start cutting wiring on something as rare as a digital cluster.
But it can be done.

Second, the odometer is driven mechanically from the speed sensor (inside the cluster)
This means the gearing inside the drive unit needs to be replaced to have the odometer show miles instead of kilometers
This is possible because I already did that in my Prelude (German market car and cluster)

Edited by SEEKERone, 11 December 2007 - 12:23 PM.

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (AllGo @ Dec 11 2007, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Use them on a CRX with digidash? Just wondering, since right now I just have a laminated copy of a speedo face next to my cluster so I can do a quick look conversion.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

d15a3power

Initially KPH was a pain, but simple conversions like 40k=25m or 10k=6m ( close enough for daily driving) will help. Also, "you'll get used to it" sounds like a cliche, but its true!

Good luck, I love my digidash!
May thru November only.
Rust never sleeps.

AllGo

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: EDM '86 AS CRX, B16A2, P30
QUOTE (ChrisF-dude @ Dec 12 2007, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Use them on a CRX with digidash? Just wondering, since right now I just have a laminated copy of a speedo face next to my cluster so I can do a quick look conversion.

Not on a crx wih digidash, but on a couple of other cars (also with VSS in the cluster!).

Seekerone, I agree with you on the first one. However, i have never had problems with weak signal.

About the second one, I must say I don't know about the odometer being mechanically driven, never ran into that.
EDM AS CRX - B16A2 engine - Y2 gearbox - P30 ecu - more coming

AndrewSi

• SeeArghh-Ex
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
QUOTE (ChrisF-dude @ Dec 12 2007, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You did something like this right? thats a pretty good idea.

Edited by AndrewSi, 20 December 2007 - 11:42 PM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
From the latest version of the 1st Gen CRX FAQ file

Q: How do you wire in a JDM Digital dash into a USDM car?
A: From evilGearhead on the Redpepperracing site:

After doing some research, I have found that even JDM cars do not have the proper wiring plug-ins for this cluster. Looking into it some more, I have discovered that the digital dash wasn’t even a factory option for our cars, it came standard equipment in JDM CRX 1.6I cars only, which makes it even more rare than previously thought.

Here is the simple way to wire in a JDM digital dash into A USDM car.

If you buy one, or have already found one, make sure you get the plastic surround piece with it, because the normal one does not fit it. You may be able to mod the stock one to work, but i cannot verify this.

1 first remove the dashboard lower panel (two or three screws and a clip)

2 remove the heater control knob and lower panel, remove the heater control mount screws.

3 remove the upper screws

4 pull the instrument panel out, then disconnect the wire connectors.

5 remove the instrument panel

6 remove the four screws, then lift the gauge assembly so you can reach the wire connectors

7disconnect the speedometer cable and wire connectors, then remove the gauge assembly.

Once you have pulled your cluster out, there will be three plug-ins, one small, auxiliary connector, and the two larger connectors that are used on the stock unit.

You will be tapping into wires from all three connectors.

First, remove the black/yellow stripe wire from the large connector, you can get the pin out by using a paperclip, or similar small item. now install that wire into the six pin connector, into the only empty spot.

Now, you need to find a connector for the LCD interface plug, it has a total of ten pins in a row, and any standard pin-type connectors will work, just use enough of them to cover all pins. i was lucky, as the previous owner of mine cut all three plugs with wires from the original car.

Once you have some type of improvised ten pin connector, now the splicing begins.
All of the wires for the ten-pin come directly off of the three original plugs , just splice them in. i cut the wires, and used butt connectors. (Please don’t use those cheesy blue "squeeze taps" , because there’s just not enough room for them) .

Your wiring for the ten - pin connector is as follows, from top to bottom:

pin 1: not used
2: red / black stripe
3: solid yellow
4: solid black
5: not used
6: solid yellow, same as 4
7: black / yellow stripe
8: yellow / black stripe
9: green/ pink stripe
10: green / blue stripe

note: my car is an 85 Si, there are some wiring differences between the 84-85 cars, and the 86-87 cars. I do not know if this applies to the dash wiring or not. If the color codes are different for the 86-87 models, contact me and I will work up an itemized function list for the wires, instead of a color codes list.

As far as the physical installation is concerned, it bolts in just like your original, however, the speedo cable mounts to the opposite side (JDM), so when you get ready to mount the cluster, you MUST disconnect your speedo cable from the transmission, pull it mostly through the firewall, run it over the steering column, and through the left dash wiring hole, instead of the right. Then plug in the cable BEFORE you mount the cluster. Once you get it mounted you can put it back into the trans.
it is a stretch, but it will work (you have to tug on it some)
the reason you must do it this way, is because once the cluster is in, there is no way to reach the back to mount the cable.

Now your dash surround piece heater switch, and accessories switches are on opposite sides of where they go on a USDM car. Easy fix, the mounting panels actually just mount onto the back of the surround with a few screws. Remove them, and swap them places.

Put it all back together and enjoy!
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

ChrisF-dude