Rust!

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

87crex

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Crx
My car has rust everywhere possible, is there anyway to buy a new rocker panel?

Sinic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 04 STi, 00 STi RHD, 07 TL
Haha rust. Scrap that thing. Sorry don't mean to be rude. Rocker panel? That piece under the door? You are talking about a pain in the azz. I've seen it done before but I wouldn't attempt it. The floor not really a problem as some of these guys will tell you but everyone has their limits. Hit the junk and see if you can find one you think you can weld in.

I hate rust but in Florida? I was driving just the other day behind a nice cuda. New paint and everything. He hit a bump next thing I knew I had small chunks of rust hitting the window. Lol painting over rust is not a fix lol.

But good luck and welcome to rpr.

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery
It will cost you Thousands to fix the rust right........buy a rust free car from Texas for a few hundred
and never look back. sure you might need a trailer but save yourself the work.

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
I agree w/t he guys. Get a southern car and rebuild off that platform. Was yours an original florida car? rain leaked in causeing the rust, or did it come from the north?

I" grew upin the upper midwest (salt heaven). When I moved to TX, it was like a wet dream (not for the climate or scenery..) for car bodies. Since I know these are getting harder and harder to find unmolested bodies and accident free, after my restorations are done, I'm planning on keeping 2 of the accident/rust free unibodies (tx originals) for down the road. Going to strip down and hoist up to ceiling of garage for safe keeping.

I'd have assume bodies are generally good in florida (never lived there thought). Unless the excess rain continually floods the interrior and rusts slowly away. talk w/ Viscious and get his input on placed local to you to look. I could be wrong about florida rust.

The issue I see for TX rust are 2 fold. The area is generally flat, but in Dallas area, its hard to find a perfectly level parking spot. So that puts your sunroof top on an angle (if you have the crx si). THen, we get very short, but hard fast rains. So the sunroof tray flood and all thewater tries to go out one of the 4 drain holes. So it floods thepanel and drains into the spare time well, then into the floor pans. I've always checked these areas before id buy so I'd knew what iwas dealing w/.

Long story short, get a newshell. You'll be so fired up working on a mint body, you'll wonder why you'd ever considered reconditioning rust.

Keepin' it OEM