85 Hf Fuel Tank Assembly- Crossover To 87 Dx?

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX

My 87 CRX fuel tank has some pretty bad rust. I found a decent fuel tank assembly but it's off an 85 HF. HondaPartsNow says the tank and pipe/meter/strainer units don't fit the 87 DX, but they look nearly identical. Are they actually not compatible or is it just saying that because they're different part numbers?

CSPCRX

Tanks from carbureted cars should be the same.  the strapping points are all under there for either FI or carbed cars. The pickups are on these types.  You could swap the pickup from your tank to the new one if it looks different so it attaches right up.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

Tanks from carbureted cars should be the same.  the strapping points are all under there for either FI or carbed cars. The pickups are on these types.  You could swap the pickup from your tank to the new one if it looks different so it attaches right up.

Cool, thanks! Do I actually need the $100 Honda sender wrench to get the various units in and out or is it possible to do it with normal tools?

CSPCRX

All the ones I have ever removed came out with a small hammer and big flathead.  Tapped it around until it came off.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

All the ones I have ever removed came out with a small hammer and big flathead.  Tapped it around until it came off.

All right, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

Getting ready to put the new tank,  but I'm having trouble reinstalling the pipe unit and sender. (They were removed when the tank was refurbished). I'm able to turn the retainer about halfway using this tool from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfr...ench-36554.html but I can't get it to tighten to the stops by hand and when I try to use the hammer-and-screwdriver method the filter falls off the end of the small line on the pipe unit. (I tried to post a pic but I guess we can't use imgur here? It's a little foam cylinder with a plastic center, kind of orange-yellow in color). 

Is there a trick to getting it to stay on? Is it absolutely vital to have it in there?

Edit: If I'm interpreting the diagrams correctly, the line with the foam piece on the end is the return line.

Edited by DaraSue, 08 December 2020 - 07:39 PM.

CSPCRX

I have not seen inside one in a number of years but I believe the pickup tube has a screen type filter on it to help keep stuff from going up into the filter.  Can the tabs that secure it be lifted a bit to allow it to rotate further.  Perhaps they got pushed down which would cause them to bind.  In the ones I did I tapped them around to remove and install them.  That spanner wrench makes a lot of sense.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

Oh yeah, I know the thing you're talking about, the filter on the end of the larger hard line (plastic bit with a cloth sock on the end). That's still there and seems sturdily attached. The thing I'm talking about is a cylinder about 1" long by 3/4" diameter, foam on the outside with a plastic tube in the center that has some small openings on one end and seems to fit on the end of the smaller hard line. (I'm assuming that's where it goes, I got the pickup and fuel gauge sender back from the shop in a plastic bag and that piece was just in there loose.) Let's see if this link works: https://i.imgur.com/bKqgGqr.jpg

I can't actually find any reference to this thing in the parts diagrams online or in the manual so I just decided to ditch it. When I stuck a scope in my original tank, it didn't appear to be there at all so I'm assuming it was something that was done away with between 1985 and 1987. 

I finally was able to get the retaining rings tight, just had to do a little more hammering. There was another small bump on them prior to the tab, and that was hitting the tabs on the tank so I couldn't get enough force on it with just the wrench. 

CSPCRX

Sounds like a good plan and glad you got it back together!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DaraSue

• Granny
  • Pip

First test drive yesterday! Whatever that piece was, I guess it wasn't important because the car seemed to run fine, or at least no worse than it did before :) Thanks for your help!

CSPCRX

Awesome!  

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily