"the Civ"

• You cannot reply to this topic
90 replies to this topic

Forcefed Si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: turbo'ed 87 Civic Si Hatchback and a heavily modified jeep wrangler
I finally have some good news for the civic! Yesterday I picked the engine from the machine shop. Merry Christmas to me!
I didn't have them do anything special to the head, just new guides and re-grinding the valves. I had them race balance the crank and but in Scat h-beam rods with the vitara pistons bored .020" over. I think that's most everything that they did. So now I get to put it all back together. The last thing I need to do is find which arp head studs to get. I think I've got it pretty well figured out but if anyone has advice on the studs, hopefully with part numbers that would be freaking sweet.

here's a couple pics after I got it on the engine stand, hopefully things will start moving along and I can get this thing back together. It has been torn apart forever

Forcefed Si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Even though I haven't been on here in a while work has been going on slowly, Saturday I finished dropping in the motor after the rebuild and she runs like a champ! I am running her N/A for now but I'll probably put the turbo back on in the future. Sorry there are not too many pics but I really didn't do anything too out of the ordinary and she needs a bath before I post any pics

Forcefed Si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
It has been way too long since I have posted on here, life has been pretty busy lately. I have had the Civ running pretty well for quite a while now. So it was time to put the turbo back on her biggrin.gif I put my t25 on her for now. It is off of a 2g eclipse, I am also running the blow off valve from the same car. I am running 390cc injectors out of a 91 Plymouth Laser. I'm sure that my fuel management might not be the best but I am using a SAFC 2 and a wideband o2 sensor for tuning it. The waste gate is set at 12 pounds and she scoots real fast. It is pretty awesome. She will pull you back in your seat and just blow the tires off in 1st and 2nd gears and I have to be careful not to spin them in 3rd as well. It makes this car a total joy to drive. Here are a few pictures of my setup, sorry I don't do so well with getting pictures on here.

Here are my ebay headers that I had to add a little bit to and change the bottom flange from a t3 flange to mitsu flange

I hope that I can keep this post updated, this car is too much fun not to keep working on, I have had it long enough that it is pretty much a member of my family

VTECKILLER

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
So I bought "the civ" last weekend and found this build thread on it! I have a full fuel system coming for the car as well as a bunch of other goodies. I will keep this updated if anyone shows interest. I can post pics of her current condition. It is still in fairly good shap. My goals are at least 400whp (on the D series, after that goes I will build something fun) and hoping to weigh in at 1700lbs without me in it.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

It's always great to see a dead build thread come alive again.  Thanks for sharing.

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

Welcome to the site! I'll look forward to future posts on the progress of this beautiful car. Let us know the story behind the changeover of owners.

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

VTECKILLER

• Granny
  • Pip

Well i just found the car on CL in Montana for a good deal and jumped on it. I havent ever turned over the d16, I have a BOV, battery, and new spark plugs coming before i try to turn it over. It sat for a year prior to me buying it. sunroof is totally broken, the paint has seen better days but it has held up fairly good! it still looks great but you can see red in spots. Looking at what wheels i want to get for the car now, I lowered the front with the stock torsion bars but its not low enough so ill need to figure that out! I will post pics soon. Basically it needs a lot of TLC

VTECKILLER

• Granny
  • Pip

IMG_4220_zpsylla1bym.jpg

After a lot of TLC, parts start showing up next week. i also ordered some 15x7 wheels yesterday.

Edited by VTECKILLER, 10 March 2017 - 01:12 PM.

cahitapower

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 civic si

looking good bro...

So MuCh In SUcH A SmALL BoX

Project Build "CahitaPower"

VTECKILLER

• Granny
  • Pip

So i got the turbo taken off after i realized that it was painfully small and my tuner just happened to have a HE351CW turbo laying around so i bought that and a new manifold. He will be making me a downpipe once i bring it in with the new turbo for tuning. 1000cc injectors and fuel rail are in. Will post pics of the new turbo setup once i get it on, should make 400whp easy

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk

IMG_4220_zpsylla1bym.jpg

After a lot of TLC, parts start showing up next week. i also ordered some 15x7 wheels yesterday.

Looking NICE.... 

VTECKILLER

• Granny
  • Pip

Got a new radiator, new plug wires, new intercooler couplers, and new radiator lines. I also cleaned under the hood A LOT. Still have a lot to do under the hood before it looks the way i want it. Ill deal with the valve cover later maybe? I dont really want to deal with the homemade gasket it has on it right now lol Also new LED bulbs on the exterior lights as well as new trunk struts so the damn thing stays up now! 

IMG_4302_zpswnkvkjv2.jpgIMG_4313_zpsj96lcg05.jpg

IMG_4319_zpsukdr9qdx.jpg

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Any notable issues with using the LED bulbs? I've been thinking about converting all my exterior bulbs too.

VTECKILLER

• Granny
  • Pip

Any notable issues with using the LED bulbs? I've been thinking about converting all my exterior bulbs too.

I sure hope not! i havent driven the car yet but they are bright so far. Any known issues i should be looking for? Searching now on how i can clean up all these vacuum lines. They are a mess, looking for a good diagram!

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

I'd say, watch the turn signals for correct speed of flash, make sure the backup lights work correctly, etc. I had read that some cars have issues with replacing incandescant with LED. I have replaced most of my dash light bulbs with miniature LED bulbs with no problem but haven't tried any exterior bulbs...yet.