Help W/ Swap

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

pr0t0n3gr0

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 civic hatch, 96 ss impala, and an 06 kia rio which definitely puts the it in shit.
thanks for reading this, my first post.
i'm located in Van Alstyne TX, halfway between Mckinney and Sherman, i'm about to do a swap on an 86 carb'd crx, still haven't decided on zc or b16, engine is out(i do have a b18 in my sh***y ol 93 rs teg, but i don't want to add that much weight to the 1g rex frontend.) and i'm about to start piecing together all the odds and ends, haven't decided exactly what i'll go w/, it just depends on what i find. i've been doing some reasearch for a year or two, and i can work on chevys and stuff, but never messed with engine internals, and this will be my 2nd time messing w/ a honda. i got internet access, and can take care of stuff like the gas tank/fuelump, but it would be really nice to have a couple honda people that have done a zc or b-series swap give me a hand for a couple saturday afternoons or something. i'm kind of intimidated by the wiring and ecu...not a vtec fanboy, for the record.

point is, i am sure i can do it by myself, but it might take a month or longer, and if somebody nearby didn't mind helping a little, that would be greatly appreciated. i also plan on replacing most rubber, and all serviceable parts, certainly on the frontend(balljoints/body mounts/bushings/wheel barrings/etc..., and engine parts-wp/timing belt/sensors, lots of little things i can't name, etc. if i go b16, i'll be beefing up the brakes 1st thing. the car itself is in pretty good shape 245k on the body, and never once had a collision w/ anything, no dents/dings/frame damage, needs paint, but interior is ok, i know it's cheap to just buy an old honda, but i think it is a shame to junk a car in decent shape, especially one that was loved and never lost it coming out of a turn, and never had a mechanical failure until 2004-my fault, btw. + i want to learn how to do everything on that car myself.

anybody who's got parts that reads this, i pretty much need everything(partswise). i don't care as much about engine hp/tq as reliability, and i'm open to sohc/dohc zcs and b16s if anybody in my area has one, or knows a good local source. hubs/brakes, etc. just pm me. thanks

i appreciate any help or info or links you think are useful. i lost my old uname here, first post, but i'm sure i'll be on this site most of the summer.

if anybody knows a good local shop, i would sure appreciate that info, too.
thanks again, have a good one.

Edited by pr0t0n3gr0, 21 April 2007 - 06:33 PM.

same shit, different dumbass. or i taught chuck norris how to bump-fire.

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
i got my b16a1 from hmotorsonline.com.... good product, runs great. if you go obd0 get the pr3 ecu to start, as far as wiring, i could walk you through things on here or over the phone or i would build you a custom harness for $80, you provide the 2 core engine harnesses, and all shipping fees. you would still need to install an si main harness, and extend the power wire back for the fuel pump. for my parts list see onegvtec.com good thing about the b16 is that parts availability will never cease, its the 350 small block of the import world. so i chose it overall for that reason.... if you want a b16, brakes should be the last things on your mind, as this is a fairly detailed swap, especially going from carburated. i drive my car as a daily driver with stock dx brakes on all 4's.... i plan to upgrade, but they do the job for now. feel free to pm me anytime, or email [email protected]
grimms mom

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
As long as you have a covered workspace, you can count me in. I hate working in the sun. I currently do that for a living (working outside, construction) But I would love to give a pepper a hand. wink.gif
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

pr0t0n3gr0

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 civic hatch, 96 ss impala, and an 06 kia rio which definitely puts the it in shit.
icebox-mine's white/grey just like your onegvtec pic. site is def bookmark. i'm sure i'll be asking you some questions, i just might pm you about that harness in a couple weeks, i got free long distance, also, i remember the brakes on mine to be the weak link, and i would think that it would be more noticeable w/ more power/speed/weight and there was a nagging brake leak i never could diagnose back in 04. it should technically be driveable right now, i guess. man i wish i had done like one thing a month all this time it's been sittin. thanks for the info, btw. great link. some excellent info.

and no, i don't have a covered workspace, but i'm definitely gonna work up some cover soon though, i have some lumber and tin, i might just build a small carport, and prolly gonna piece together a mac or snap-on toolset. at the very, very least i'm gonna get a decent socket set. and friends, any help at all is very appreciated. thanks for the replies.

Edited by pr0t0n3gr0, 21 April 2007 - 10:14 PM.

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
a 32 mm, a 14, 12 and 10 mm, 1/4" and 3/8" drive with short and long extensions for each. an 18 mm as well. and get a good set of ratcheting wrenches in these sizes as well, and you should be sittn pretty well..... oh snap ring remover, exhaust expander, a good vice mounted to something sturdy. picker tool set for wire pins, wire stripper/cutters.

those should get you through most of it.... a torch and some flux solder are good to have if you are gonna build your own return line...

again, hit me up if ya need anything
grimms mom

pr0t0n3gr0

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
[quote name='icebox187' date='Apr 23 2007, 09:36 AM' post='333288'
again, hit me up if ya need anything
[/quote]

sure will, thank you, thanks for the tool advice.
i'm goin out to the pacific northwest in a couple weeks to scoop up Talyin_s' 84, do some camping and see my best friend who just moved out to los angeles. i'm gonna make up my mind which direction i want to go w/ the rex. i'll be back by the first of june ready to buckle down on this project. i'm excited to finally get this crx swap tackled. i won't feel better till i perform this swap and understand the ins/outs/mechanics of it. i know it aint brain surgery but there's a lot of different loose ends to wrap up and i'm leaning toward b16-potentially ending in shambles for a honda n00b(me.)

it's good to know there's a site like this, w/ other people that love our cars, and share the knowledge that keeps these 20yo cars on the road and in better shape than most decade old chevys.

thanks rpr

Edited by pr0t0n3gr0, 23 April 2007 - 10:09 PM.

pr0t0n3gr0

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
oh well, i whimped out and took the car to intercrew. the logistics of the whole thing woulda pushed it back some more, since it's been sittin for 3 summers, although the car is in decent shape, i just can't let it deteriorate anymore, and need a cheap, reliable but not too nice car to drive on dirt daily to school, that i can smoke in. i am kinda dissapointed in myself, but then again my truck gets 9 or 10mpg and my impala gets 13mpg, and i have to drive 50+ miles daily just for school this summer, and the shop has an excellent reputation, and i am apparently just too lazy to actually do the swap myself.

dohc browntop zc, complete check on everything, replace tb/wp/all seals, fuel injection, swap into 86 crx, new teg rotors for the hubs, exhaust, and replace some rubber i need airtools to get. turn key-$2900/three weeks.

kinda pricey, but i ain't broke. still leaves me w/ stuff to do, but i got my neighbor's bro to tow it on a flatbed, and the tie downs on the car came loose and it hit the back of the cab gently, but it was enough to put a couple small dents in the hatch and bumper. i was just paying his gas to get to the shop, he was doing me a favor, and the section of walnut to intercrew is really bumpy, so what can ya do?

i still got all the suspension stuff, mounts, bushings, alot of things to take care of myself, should keep me busy this summer. at least i didn't junk the rex back in the day, like my girl wanted me to do.

thanks, i'll be here, i appreciate y'alls help.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I don't think there will be much of a weight difference between a B16 and a B18.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (pr0t0n3gr0 @ Apr 29 2007, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh well, i whimped out and took the car to intercrew.

You really should have pulled the header and the fenders. Unless they were trash and you were going to replace them anyways.

From what I have heard, and only what I have heard, there have been mixed reviews about their "carefulness" when dealing with a car of this age. Don't get me wrong, they do good work on mechanicals, but tend to disreguard the plastics.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

pr0t0n3gr0

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
the way i understood phillip, if they break something like the header panel, that is their responsibility to ammend, they don't get any more money from me than what was quoted, and the old fenders were cracked on the outside and around the lags or whatever under the hood and needed to be replaced anyway. i went by certifit and got a couple fenders, it needs some fresh paint anyway. i ain't worried about it, i've lived and worked in richardson for years down the street, but they're in garland now. i'm not trippin on the price because i know how it is, people got families to feed and kids to clothe, and i've been eating too much sh^t from professors for these labor intensive classes that cost more than this swap, force me to show up, and don't teach me a thing, except in math.
btw, i've honestly never heard a horror story from intercrew, fingers crossed.