Wheel Opinions On An 85 Crx Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

gtcali

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '89 Civic Sedan (turbo), 2000 Suburban 4x4 (lifted), 85 CRX Si (project)
Which wheels should I keep and put on the CRX and which should I sell?

Currently on the car. 14" Watanabe lookalikes. 1 bent wheel (about $60 to fix). 195-60-14 Azenis Sports, the STICKEY ones. Overall condition 7.5 outta 10.

Or Rota 15" Slipstreams. They have 205-50-15s on them now, but I plan to put 195s on them. I believe they should weight about the same as the above wheels.
They were on my 89 Sedan that got stolen. When I went the recovery yard, I saw another Civic with my wheels on it and told the cops. I sent the cops pics of the wheels and they let me take them home. They've been sitting in my garage since. Condition 9.5 outta 10 (almost new)

Edited by gtcali, 08 May 2006 - 03:00 AM.

stevo911_

• I'm Canadian, Eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2000 Civc Ltd Edition w B16a swap
slipstreams FTW, personally I wouldnt really feel comfortable riding on a wheel thats been bent then bent back (Its probably fine, but its something i'd just not rather do)
(plus I just like the slipstreams and 15's better if you're going more for looks)

Edited by stevo911_, 08 May 2006 - 03:19 AM.

jerfguy

• Computer nerd
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Two tone black '85 CRX si: Kragen CAI + CF hood + D16a1 + rear seat + smoked corns + side markers + mudflaps.
    • Image Gallery
I vote slipstreams too.
QUOTE (1stGenRex @ Sep 25 2006, 08:54 PM)
I'd piss on her

QUOTE (JEFFtheJ00la @ Jun 16 2006, 01:39 PM)
you guys figured out my secret. i sell my ass for cash. i shake it at the butt-nekkid every night. *puts head down in shame*

QUOTE (JEFFtheJ00la @ Sep 26 2006, 08:46 PM)
lol. i hate to admit it but i wanted to grab his titty, it looked that good.

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
I vote for the 14's since every other civic has slipstreams.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
sorry, 14's for sure. watanebe's are hot.. how much you sellin them for? cause y'know, they are bent and all. hehehee. wink.gif
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
13x6's or the orginals if you can find them.

13's are the fastest wheels on these cars. The bigger the wheel, the slower the car.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
I like the look of the 14" Watanabe copies better. Don't sweat repairing the wheel - a repair by a reputable wheel fix-it shop should last as long as the rest of the wheel. A coworker pranged a 17" BMW wheel; he went with the repair option because a replacement was ungodly expensive.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 8 2006, 07:19 AM)

13's are the fastest wheels on these cars. The bigger the wheel, the slower the car.

was that one of the choices unsure.gif
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (badpenny @ May 8 2006, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 8 2006, 09:19 AM)

I have to agree with scott on this, I hear that they are making great advances on 10 inch trailer wheels. Look into a set of those. THey're fast.

get one of these as a donor and swap away!

1GRPhotography
MySpace

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
QUOTE (badpenny @ May 8 2006, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 8 2006, 09:19 AM)

I have to agree with scott on this, I hear that they are making great advances on 10 inch trailer wheels. Look into a set of those. THey're fast.

One of the few times I'll agree with Scott.

There is a reason that the fast E-production Miata's run on 13" rims instead of 15".

The only benefit of a 15" rim is cost (due to larger selection) and available compounds (ditto). But the fast guys run cu$tom 13" rims. The only reason to run a large wheel is for brake clearence. The Miata guys get around this by using custom three-piece modular wheels with a spun rim which can be made thinner to give enough rotor clearence. Not cheap!

Quite a few 2nd gen CRX's in F-Prod trim are running 13's instead of 15's as well.

On a similar note, the Spec Miata cars have a 15" rim mandated by the rules even though the cars originally came with 14" rims. This was done purely for economic reasons since 15" is the industry standard, and it was felt that 15" would offer a wider range of wheels, plus there were more tire vendor/compounds to choose from. It was not doen for performance reasons since it is a spec class. They do have a minimum weight spec, to prevent someone from building a set of super expensive trick 'unobtainium' allow wheels.

Given two wheels of the same mass but different diameters, the smaller diameter wheel has a much lower rotating mass and will accelerate and decelerate quicker just like a smaller diameter clutch/flywheel combo will help engine acceleration.
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

gtcali

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '89 Civic Sedan (turbo), 2000 Suburban 4x4 (lifted), 85 CRX Si (project)
I have the original 13s. I'm keeping those guys don't worry. ph34r.gif That's why I want to get rid of one of the sets. I don't want 3 sets of wheels.

The other wheels are for daily and looks. The both are pretty light the slips are under 12lbs each. Rotation mass shouldn't be that much more.

1 wheel on the fake wats has a dent on the inner rim. They are actually 2 different sets. the front wheels and the back wheels are slightly different.

I'm thinking of keeping the 14s til the Azenis wear out. Its like riding on slicks. you can hear all the sand and debris hit the wheel well 'cause they are so sticky.
Then put the slips on with 195s later.

Edited by gtcali, 08 May 2006 - 11:53 AM.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
did he say he was using these for racing unsure.gif
1GRPhotography
MySpace

breadvan

• whiptastic
  • PipPip
    • Group: Bad Email List
    • Drives: 2 liter rusted soda can
definetly the faux watanbes
user posted image

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I'd rock the 14's BTW
1GRPhotography
MySpace

IfTakumiDroveACRX

• Can't stop the greatness in motion....just you wait...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx Si two-tone black/grey, 72 Datsun 510 with an experimental rotary swap (the engine is a 12a and 13b hybrid), Infiniti G35 sedan on air suspension rolling on 19" G-Corp's Estatus wheels and various Garson/D.A.D accessories
    • Image Gallery
sell me the watanwannabe's hahahahahahaha!!! they look ugly on your beautiful car!!! LOL laugh.gif
user posted image
www.implicit-autosports.com - Proud Distributors of Monkeyz-Tek Performance Parts